11th Gen Civic Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback Boost Blue Pearl
130 Posts
The image on the bottom is the Si shift knob (red stitching on the leather on both the knob and the boot, aluminum on the top and bottom of the knob).

We've yet to see the 11th gen Type R yet, of course (only a promise that it will exist), but the 10th gen Type R knob has a red leather wrapping (not just stitching) and black on black shift pattern, except for a red "R" (for Type R, get it?) for the reverse gear logo on the top. Not sure if the weight is different from either the Si or regular Civic 6MT knobs.

View attachment 5326
I was told by my dealer that they are not releasing a Type R for 2022 because of the new body style, but they will be for 2023.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT
475 Posts
OK, I decided I really wanted to get the 9th gen Civic Si shift knob a try that I had lying around with my 2022 Civic ST 6MT (a friend of mine had passed it on to me to try in my 2007 Acura TSX, after he went with some other aftermarket knob in his Si, and I'd ultimately decided I liked the stock TSX shift knob better in that car).

As noted in this thread, the problem is there is no lock nut that fits with the boot in this car - there is a white plastic clip that is embedded (glued?) into the bottom of the OEM shift knob that the boot attaches to. So when I removed the stock knob and spun the Si shift knob all the way down, the boot had nothing to attach to, plus the knob was about 90 degrees short of being correctly oriented (i.e., with the shift pattern reading straight).

I popped by my local Ace hardware store and picked up an M10-1.5 flange nut and couple of M10 washers - three flat and three lock washers. It cost me like $5? (I don't remember because I picked up a bunch of other stuff at the same time, but they're just loose metric fasteners...)

I spun the flange nut onto the gear shaft as far down as it would go, then added the lock washer and the flat washer, and then spun the Si knob all the way down. And it aligned perfectly!

Now the only problem was in attaching the shift boot. It has little gaps to snap with the plastic tabs in the stock shifter. However, overall, the boot's diameter is just a little bit smaller than the flange nut - meaning with a bit of hard tugging, I could get the boot's ring up and over the nut and it is very tight.

So yeah, there is a bit of gap or spacing visible - it doesn't bother me. And as I suspected, using the Si knob is MUCH nicer than the stock one. Better feeling in the hand, and I swear the shifting feels smoother now too, for reasons I could not explain.

I'll be trying out other shift knobs in the next few months, but for now I'm rolling with this! -- I may use black electrical tape to "black out" the lower silver part of the shift knob at the same time as obscuring the Ace M10 fasteners, though (which are not the same color as the aluminum knob parts).

Car Gear shift Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Reactions: Jimi

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT
475 Posts
... I'm curious if this little doohickey for the 10G Civic will work - ordered one to find out

[/URL][/URL]

View attachment 5348

Might still want a lock nut; anybody have a part number for that?
So, using the lock nut from my 2007 Acura TSX worked to affix the shift knob from that TSX, and also the 9th gen Si knob I have on the side shown earlier, but the OEM (plasticky) boot ring doesn't attach well to the lock nut. Friction holds it in place for a little while, but eventually it falls off.

That eBay "doohickey" adapter for the 10G Civic (FC1) finally arrived - and guess what, it works pretty well! It also has no locking function, but if you screw it all the way down the shaft, the two little flanges line up properly to clip to the 11th gen 6MT hatchback boot ring.

The problem is that, without a lock function, screwing the Si or TSX shift knob all the way down (a) would still come loose if I turned it too hard counterclockwise while shifting, and (b) wouldn't orient the shift pattern properly.

The solution was just as simple: an M10 lock washer (as I'd already bought a bunch from Ace hardware along with the M10 lock nuts)! It's just the right thickness to keep the Si knob shift pattern aligned properly, and to lock it tightly in place.

The only downside is a very, very slight gap from the base of the Si knob to the black plastic adapter - really not even noticeable - plus the fact that I kind of don't like the black - silver - black - titanium - black - titanium color striping that results. It goes from the boot (black) to the boot ring (silver) to the plastic adapter to clip to the boot ring (black) to the base of the Si knob (titanium) which then goes to black leather around the knob itself, but is again titanium where the shift pattern is.

I wrapped the titanium base of the Si knob with black electrical tape and it looks better to me in the dark at night, but I suspect in the daylight it's going to look like MacGuyver hotwired it in some way, LOL.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sports Touring hatchback 6 speed
7 Posts
Hey guys,
On Honda’s website this photo shows a totally different shift knob from the Sport Touring and of course the Si. However none of the sport tourings in the wild use this shift knob?? In that photo you can see a wireless charger so it must be the Touring

Can anyone confirm if this knob is available?

View attachment 4441

I'll confirm my colouring on the knob but this is to the tee the same interior as my sport touring

21 - 25 of 25 Posts