11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
On Honda’s website this photo shows a totally different shift knob from the Sport Touring and of course the Si. However none of the sport tourings in the wild use this shift knob?? In that photo you can see a wireless charger so it must be the Touring

Can anyone confirm if this knob is available?

Vehicle Gear shift Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT in PWP
203 Posts
That's a good catch - all the "IRL" pics and vids of the 2022 Civic HB with the stick shift (including Sport Touring trim, vs. Sport) show a different knob, like this:

Gear shift Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

That one from Honda's actual gallery online is (IMHO) much nicer

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes totally! So odd eh? I emailed Honda Canada to see what knob is in the photo and provide a part number.
My idea is they don’t actually have that cooler knob in stock and might have need a prototype or photoshop?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Any idea if the shift knob on the 11th gen Civic (well, the HB in particular) is the same Honda knob thread pitch as in past years?

It used to be you could swap six-speed shift knobs into Acuras, Civics, etc., and vice versa. An M10 / 1.5mm thread, I believe?

I found a thread on this forum that mentioned that the automatic (CVT) shift knob was now different in the 11th gen from the 10th gen, could that possibly be true of the manual stick shift knob too?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any idea if the shift knob on the 11th gen Civic (well, the HB in particular) is the same Honda knob thread pitch as in past years?

It used to be you could swap six-speed shift knobs into Acuras, Civics, etc., and vice versa. An M10 / 1.5mm thread, I believe?

I found a thread on this forum that mentioned that the automatic (CVT) shift knob was now different in the 11th gen from the 10th gen, could that possibly be true of the manual stick shift knob too?
The 11th gen manual civic will totally accept any manual shift knob from the previous gens.
They are all M10 1.5
If you are looking for a decent knob, check this out

·
Registered
203 Posts
The 11th gen manual civic will totally accept any manual shift knob from the previous gens.
They are all M10 1.5
Yeshhhh

I was able to retain the nicely weighted shift knob from my 2007 Acura TSX 6MT

I'll see how I like the one that comes with the 2022 Civic HB, and then compare with that one dropped in

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeshhhh

I was able to retain the nicely weighted shift knob from my 2007 Acura TSX 6MT

I'll see how I like the one that comes with the 2022 Civic HB, and then compare with that one dropped in
You just wanna make sure the boot snaps to the knob,
That might the only thing you need to be mindful of, other than that any M10 1.5 will work

·
Registered
203 Posts
That might the only thing you need to be mindful of, other than that any M10 1.5 will work
I should be able to use the OEM boot, right? As far as I can remember (it was a long time ago that I tried different shift knobs on my TSX before settling on the OEM one) it was just a matter of unscrewing the knob while using an M10 wrench to hold down a lock nut...?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should be able to use the OEM boot, right? As far as I can remember (it was a long time ago that I tried different shift knobs on my TSX before settling on the OEM one) it was just a matter of unscrewing the knob while using an M10 wrench to hold down a lock nut...?
I believe so. Just give it a shot.
The nut that snaps the boot to the bottom end of the knob snaps together.
I don’t know for sure if the TSX knob will snap into the civic nut but you can use the nut from the TSX on the civic worst case.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So, this is the problem: I pulled the boot down and unscrewed the stock shift knob, but the part that snaps to the boot - and forms the M10 thread that attaches to the shift column - is a plastic piece stuck into the stock knob itself.

Hand Tire Gas Tints and shades Carbon

Automotive design Gear shift Motor vehicle Carbon Auto part

Meanwhile the shift knob from my 07 TSX is just the knob - I don't have the lock nut/boot snap piece. So to use it, I'd have to get an aftermarket one?

I remember it being metal - in fact here's the official Acura part that costs $2.25:

This would certainly lock the knob in place on the column, but would the boot snap to it?

Or is this more like what I need - a M10 x 1.5 "boot retainer"? This looks gigantic, though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes you probably need the right boot ring/nut.
Maybe something from Acuity might work?
I didn’t think the civic nut would work on your 2007 TSX knob but it was worth a try. They are different designs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes you probably need the right boot ring/nut.
Maybe something from Acuity might work?

I didn’t think the civic nut would work on your 2007 TSX knob but it was worth a try. They are different designs.
Right, I can get a lock nut easily enough (it's only $2.25 to get the one that worked with the TSX) but I don't see how the Civic boot would snap to it.

Thanks for the tip on Acuity making an aftermarket solution, like this?

Looks like this will let me use the TSX knob, and also any other one I may care to try later on!

EDIT: after watching the installation video, it seems more trouble than I really want to do here, having to disassemble the center console and whatnot over a knob. On the TSX with the lock nut I just unscrewed the knob and swapped in 3 or 4 ones over time until I decided I just liked the original one best, kind of surprised the Civic isn't just as simple

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right, I can get a lock nut easily enough (it's only $2.25 to get the one that worked with the TSX) but I don't see how the Civic boot would snap to it.

Thanks for the tip on Acuity making an aftermarket solution, like this?

Looks like this will let me use the TSX knob, and also any other one I may care to try later on!

EDIT: after watching the installation video, it seems more trouble than I really want to do here, having to disassemble the center console and whatnot over a knob. On the TSX with the lock nut I just unscrewed the knob and swapped in 3 or 4 ones over time until I decided I just liked the original one best, kind of surprised the Civic isn't just as simple

Yes. Totally. You will have to remove the shifter boot and tie wrap the TSX nut underneath. It isn’t that hard really. Only takes 30 mins max.

But your knob might sit too tall after all that?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes. Totally. You will have to remove the shifter boot and tie wrap the TSX nut underneath. It isn’t that hard really. Only takes 30 mins max.

But your knob might sit too tall after all that?
It just feels like there ought to be a single piece of metal that functions as a lock nut and has a flange or collar like that plastic bit does on the stock shift knob, for the boot to snap on to, that costs on the order of $10 instead of $70, and just screws on instead of requiring console disassembly, battery disconnecting, electrical plugs to be pulled and then reinserted, yadda yadda yadda...

Can I do it, sure, do I want to do it, not really, and should I have to do it? That's the real question!

I may have found them on Amazon, I'll find out on Thursday if these work :). I got one low profile one in black, and one that's aluminum and longer in the "neck" to see which I like better.

If they work, great; if not, I can just send them back to Amazon

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes totally! So odd eh? I emailed Honda Canada to see what knob is in the photo and provide a part number.
My idea is they don’t actually have that cooler knob in stock and might have need a prototype or photoshop?
So, any word back from Honda for your inquiry here?

I just checked - the Honda website (both US and CA) still has this image of the shift knob for a 6MT Civic Sport Touring hatchback, which is not what any of us have gotten as far as I can tell when taking delivery of our manual STs:

Gear shift Car Light Automotive design Motor vehicle

and it is NOT just the Si knob either, it has all black leather (not red stitching) and the shift pattern is red-on-matte-black plastic, while the Si has red leather stitching on the knob and the boot, the shift pattern red etched into metal, and more aluminum between the leather on the knob and the boot:

Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Gear shift

1 - 15 of 15 Posts