11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stopped by the guy who I am likely going to go with to do my tint, and we went over below:

- Lumar CTX or XPel Ceramic Prime XR

He says both are pretty much great quality, XPel will have better heat retention and Lumar although solid may not be quite as good but will provide slightly better clarity especially with darker tints. I don't want to go to dark to block objects at night, and do want slightly darker tint but the difference between 30% and 35% is very negligible and I won't notice much different. He says most guys go 35 all around. It is so hard to tell by looking at other jobs, so what say those of you who have had to choose between the two? I won't go any lower than 30% but 35% may just be fine.

Fire away, and any pics always help

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is 15% all the way around, I am 37 and thought I would like 30% better. I got talked into 15% ceramic tint and I couldn’t be any happier! My car also has a 5% banner at the top of the windshield. In short, go 30% if that the darkest you are considering. 35% would be a waste.

Last picture is my Honda Pilot, it has 30% all the way around. I used to think I was happy with it till I did 15% on my civic…(I live in Florida)

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Street light

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Car Sky Tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is 15% all the way around, I am 37 and thought I would like 30% better. I got talked into 15% ceramic tint and I couldn’t be any happier! My car also has a 5% banner at the top of the windshield. In short, go 30% if that the darkest you are considering. 35% would be a waste.

Last picture is my Honda Pilot, it has 30% all the way around. I used to think I was happy with it till I did 15% on my civic…(I live in Florida)

View attachment 9395
View attachment 9397
View attachment 9394 View attachment 9398
Thank you for the comparison. Definitely, 30 percent is not enough for me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go as dark as possible. I went with 25% and at times I still wish it was darker for heat protection and aesthetic reasons.
By "law" here we cannot go darker than 30% in the front, but believe you can go darker in the back and rear window. I am really on the fence between 30 vs 35 as it isn't much difference......that is likely as dark as I'd go

·
Registered
18 Posts
By "law" here we cannot go darker than 30% in the front, but believe you can go darker in the back and rear window. I am really on the fence between 30 vs 35 as it isn't much difference......that is likely as dark as I'd go
I was always told to make note of how dark the tint is on your local police vehicles. Just saying, they go pretty damn dark. But, some places will require you to repair the tint to legal once you were ticketed, but florida it’s just a fine and you go on with life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

I have 35 all around (not windshield) ceramic. Definitely looks darker at night. Visibility is not affected at all. But there is less privacy in the daytime. You can see inside a bit however (not completely) in the day. Personally I kinda like that.

·
Registered
429 Posts
View attachment 9446
View attachment 9445

I have 35 all around (not windshield) ceramic. Definitely looks darker at night. Visibility is not affected at all. But there is less privacy in the daytime. You can see inside a bit however (not completely) in the day. Personally I kinda like that.
Yea, just got mine a few days ago. Had 35% installed at the dealer. Would go darker but you could get a ticket in my state. Even at 35% it makes the car look way better than stock. Anyway, looks great on your sonic grey!

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 9446
View attachment 9445

Looks great...if you went 30% (minimal difference) would it affect night visibility? Too dark during the day at all? What type of ceramic as well? Xpel, etc?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks great...if you went 30% (minimal difference) would it affect night visibility? Too dark during the day at all? What type of ceramic as well? Xpel, etc?
I went with Llumar. I would imagine 5% would not make a difference. I actually originally wanted to go 30%, but the place I went to only had either 20% or 35%. Didn’t want to go with 20%, so I went with 35%. Visually wise, it looks dark on the outside st night, but visibility is not affected at all. You could even go 20% and you’d be fine. I would just suggest if you plan on going darker, to do it all around. (20 all around Instead of going 35 in the front and 20 in the back for example)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went with Llumar. I would imagine 5% would not make a difference. I actually originally wanted to go 30%, but the place I went to only had either 20% or 35%. Didn’t want to go with 20%, so I went with 35%. Visually wise, it looks dark on the outside st night, but visibility is not affected at all. You could even go 20% and you’d be fine. I would just suggest if you plan on going darker, to do it all around. (20 all around Instead of going 35 in the front and 20 in the back for example)
Which province are you in? If Ontario, who did your tint? I won't do 20 all around, Ontario so called laws only allow 30% darkness max up front, no windshield of course

·
Registered
10 Posts
Which province are you in? If Ontario, who did your tint? I won't do 20 all around, Ontario so called laws only allow 30% darkness max up front, no windshield of course
Yup Ontario!

I went to a place called “Clean Freaks” in Oakville. I liked the pricing compared to others and they are an official dealer of Llumar.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup Ontario!

I went to a place called “Clean Freaks” in Oakville. I liked the pricing compared to others and they are an official dealer of Llumar.
I have an option of Lumar or XPel and will be doing my tint through Elevated Auto in Markham. Not really sure which is better, or which one to go with. The guy there said 30% in Lumar won't be too dark but clearer visibility, giving up a bit of heat retention. No clue to be honest

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an option of Lumar or XPel and will be doing my tint through Elevated Auto in Markham. Not really sure which is better, or which one to go with. The guy there said 30% in Lumar won't be too dark but clearer visibility, giving up a bit of heat retention. No clue to be honest
Mhm, I've heard nothing but good things about XPEL as well. At both points, I think the differences would be minor and you probably wouldn't be able to tell in real-life scenarios. I think both are solid options and you can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is this a real question? I left the dealer and went right to the most respectable tint place in my area. I told them "do what you do" and they did. Car looks great. I didn't ask the percentage, I didn't care. BTW, do these pictures even help anyone decide. Teach me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is this a real question? I left the dealer and went right to the most respectable tint place in my area. I told them "do what you do" and they did. Car looks great. I didn't ask the percentage, I didn't care. BTW, do these pictures even help anyone decide. Teach me.
Pics only help a bit, never truly can represent what it actually likes in person of course. No dealer up here will just do what they do for tint...

Reactions: namiboy
1 - 20 of 20 Posts