11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the request of Hondapwr, this is what I have found so far searching for winter tires. I lean heavily on https://www.tirerack.com for most of my deep tire research. I find their Tire Rack Test data invaluable. To date there are no recommendations for a winter tire package, just a list of OEM size winter tires. I suspect (hope?) sometime soon they will add one of their winter tire and rim packages. They usually recommend a size smaller size rim and narrower tire. Their reasoning is explained here: https://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=126
Their highest rated winter tire in both LX (215/55/16) and EX (215/50/17) trims are Bridgestone Blizzak WS90. There is a not unsubstantial $26 difference between the sizes ($145 vs $171). Also no rim recommendations are available yet.
So I'm going to wait a few weeks before I do anything. I usually put steelies on the winter tires so I can take them off when I like and store them. Don't have to pay for remounting 2x a year too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went with the Michelin x ice 225 55 16 and mounted to a set of rims off my lx coupe I had sitting around. I went with that size as it is comparable to the 245 40 18 I am running now on my 22 touring. No fitment issues.

·
Registered
750 Posts
@HadAFit I was chatting with a friend of mine who works for a tire brand and he said a lot of places are expected to run out of winter tires this year. Same supply chain issues. So you might not want to wait.

Personally, I say any winter tires are better than none, but the Blizzaks are the way to go.

Michelin X-Ice is good in the cold and on ice, but the Blizzaks are the best in actual snow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
On my 9th-gen Si, I have cheap 16" Sparco alloys with (205/55R16) Cooper True North winter tires. They're......okay.
I had Continental winter tires before and they were much better.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I heard good things about Dunlop Winter Maxx and Continental Winter Contact Si. Always had Blizzaks and an early version of the X-ICE tire back when I bought winter tires for the first time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you want a good set of inexpensive tires I’ve been running the nexen winguard sport 2 and I have nothing bad to say about them at all. I drive in all weather from ice storms to heavy snow and always get home safely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've always had great results with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-90's. Living in Erie Pa., believe me they get put to the test! I've got a touring, but have a set of older Civic 16" painted alloys so I'll go with 215/55R16.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts