11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all my buddys are telling me to buy 17" winters. my SI has 18", i know it can be done but does anyone have a web site to explain how to downsize to meet the same tire size. as i have no clue.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I put 17 inch tires and rims on my Si and they ran great. 17 inch tires and rims are less expensive than 18's and you may have more brand choices in a 17 inch tire. The main thing with winter tires is always to go with a more narrow tire width compared to the summer tires, you will get better traction in winter with slightly more narrow.

I'm sitting on a beach in Cuba right now so I can't recall my winter tire size and the last thing on my mind is winter, lol. I think it was 215/50/17 . I will double check but I am pretty sure that is the size, and it matches up perfectly to the overall diameter.

·
Registered
2022 Sport Touring in CBP
67 Posts
So all my buddys are telling me to buy 17" winters. my SI has 18", i know it can be done but does anyone have a web site to explain how to downsize to meet the same tire size. as i have no clue.
As others have said, 215/50-17 is the right minus 1 size. you can also get away with 205/55-17 as well

·
Registered
158 Posts
-1 means you go with a smaller rim so 18" to 17" but you keep the outer diameter the same. This makes sure there will no interference with any suspension components and your speedo will remain roughly the same. This will give you more sidewall and give you more cushion and protection for your wheels in the winter roads. I recommend Tire Rack - I've gotten 4 different sets of snow tires over the years, they usually have accurate information in regard to rim and tire sizing and fitment.

For instance here's what I did for my Accord. Roughly the same size but a lot more sidewall and narrower for better winter.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I run Honda 17 inch steel rims, they worked well enough, not as nice looking as say a cheap aluminum rim which is also an option. You can't go smaller than 17 inches on an Si due to brake clearance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts