11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had any windshield issues? I’ve had several cracks and never had to replace a windshield on any car, yet a small pebble hit my new Civic and cracks my window. Since then I’ve had 2 more cracks. I haven’t gotten it fixed yet. Just wondering…

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I get a broken windshield every 1-2 years on all of my vehicles, not just Hondas. Glass has gotten thinner over the years to save weight and costs, they break easy by stone chips. My Si windshield had been hit with some pretty big stones already but no chips yet, I was certain it might break but it didn't.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah mine chipped already from who knows what. Hasn't morphed into a crack yet.

Reactions: Tphaeulz

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes I have 2 large cracks .
I drive around with antlers. But like zero I'm in the same boat. Nothing new with broken windshields regardless.
It don't matter who makes the car,it's the glass company making them thinner for weight savings as stated. This was stated directly from fuyao or however you spell it.
But pilkington as well.
Both Honda OEM providers .
Then again fuyao makes glass for basically anything even Bugatti. I thought about the glass shield but I was too late to get it in the mail and had got the chip that opened up 3 days before the shield arrived.
So now I got a shield waiting for when I decide to drop a new windshield. Which given these are probably a grand right now ,I can wait. Hell my 9th has had a crack running from end to end for over 5 years,but since it's on the bottom where the black is,I really could care less. That's it's 2nd windshield too😂

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get a broken windshield every 1-2 years on all of my vehicles, not just Hondas. Glass has gotten thinner over the years to save weight and costs, they break easy by stone chips. My Si windshield had been hit with some pretty big stones already but no chips yet, I was certain it might break but it didn't.
Yes. I will DEFINITELY agree about thinner. It really has gotten thinner. Thanks for confirming that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I have 2 large cracks .
I drive around with antlers. But like zero I'm in the same boat. Nothing new with broken windshields regardless.
It don't matter who makes the car,it's the glass company making them thinner for weight savings as stated. This was stated directly from fuyao or however you spell it.
But pilkington as well.
Both Honda OEM providers .
Then again fuyao makes glass for basically anything even Bugatti. I thought about the glass shield but I was too late to get it in the mail and had got the chip that opened up 3 days before the shield arrived.
So now I got a shield waiting for when I decide to drop a new windshield. Which given these are probably a grand right now ,I can wait. Hell my 9th has had a crack running from end to end for over 5 years,but since it's on the bottom where the black is,I really could care less. That's it's 2nd windshield too😂
Wow

·
Registered
94 Posts
Has anyone had any windshield issues? I’ve had several cracks and never had to replace a windshield on any car, yet a small pebble hit my new Civic and cracks my window. Since then I’ve had 2 more cracks. I haven’t gotten it fixed yet. Just wondering…
This makes me wonder if getting delivery very soon after the car is made makes a difference. I got my 2015 Accord in late May 2015 with an early May 2015 build date. Had the same issue, every pebble chipped my windshield. After about 4 months, it never happened again and it’s been a long time with lots of pebble hits since. Is new glass more susceptible to chips?

·
Registered
320 Posts
This makes me wonder if getting delivery very soon after the car is made makes a difference. I got my 2015 Accord in late May 2015 with an early May 2015 build date. Had the same issue, every pebble chipped my windshield. After about 4 months, it never happened again and it’s been a long time with lots of pebble hits since. Is new glass more susceptible to chips?
No. Honda is an on demand manufacturing company so they like to have their forecasters in supply order parts early on prior to actually needing it. So chances are the glass is already a month or 2 old before it gets slapped on. It has nothing to do with how fresh it is. Its just the sheer thickness isn't there anymore. Part to do with ADAS controls and partly weight savings cost. After all a windshield doesn't exactly weigh 5 lbs. So any weight saved anymore is fuel efficiency for the long run and I think that's part of everyone's equation before we're all forced to be driven around in AI cars.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I got a large crack with no significant chip on my windshield. I have fewer than 1,500km on the car. There is no way this is normal.
I mean technically it is normal....the NEW normal because of lighter windshields for weight savings normal for 1995 /2000
Probably not.
Normal for 2020+ yeahp.
Just to make you warm and fuzzy inside my windshield cracked the first week of ownership and it looks like a Japanese cherry blossom tree now.
Oh and even better my motor blew at 11,000... So that's that. 🤣

·
Registered
29 Posts
So you're the one with all the luck. Doesn't make me feel better. Talked with Honda canada and they want the dealer to inspect it then they may be able to do something about replacement.

I will definitely hold off on tuning this car until the warranty is over.

·
Registered
320 Posts
So you're the one with all the luck. Doesn't make me feel better. Talked with Honda canada and they want the dealer to inspect it then they may be able to do something about replacement.

I will definitely hold off on tuning this car until the warranty is over.
I've been in a garbage new Sentra as a rental . But today the car was finished and I'll have it back. About a whole month without the car.
So yeah ,but this ain't that bad.....when the windshield on my alfa cracked NOW THAT was a nightmare. This one I'll wait a little longer.
Mine was started by a tiny chip and I think the heater caused it to flower out

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been in a garbage new Sentra as a rental . But today the car was finished and I'll have it back. About a whole month without the car.
So yeah ,but this ain't that bad.....when the windshield on my alfa cracked NOW THAT was a nightmare. This one I'll wait a little longer.
Mine was started by a tiny chip and I think the heater caused it to flower out
Yeah that heater bit is typically true. In my case, I haven't touched the heat in my car. I guess I'll see what happens with Honda. If it's no help, I'll just leave it cracked. Alberta is shit for windshields anyway.

Hope she is back and better when you pick her up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts