11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah the Honda-e is available but its limited to certain markets and doesn't have the reach that Tesla's do.

Addressing this, Acura's Brand Officer Jon Ikeda said the following in a recent interview: "For us as a brand, we needed to kind of refocus and re-establish ourselves as a performance brand. We want everybody to understand where we are, what we're about first. Even if we go electric we will continue to be a performance division of Honda and performance will be our focus." The new NSX was part of that.

So there you have it, on the Acura side of things, they need to re-establish themselves first before considering EVs.
The same can be said for Honda.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This looks like it is an admission that Acura lost its way as a performance brand. They sold 128 NSX's in 2020 or about ½ car per dealership. There will still be strong demand for ICE vehicles for at least a few years, but you better build a good one. When you decide to go electric, you need to build a car with range, performance and reliability. Hyundai's Kona recall is expected to cost $11,000 per car. Electrically at this point, your goal is to beat Tesla.

Honda: please, please don't mess up the new Civic. The new exterior is (IMO) an improvement and hopefully you'll incorporate that display properly and have good quality seating and other interior surfaces.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm sure the Civic will be solid. Honda really should build an EV version of it though.

As for the NSX, I understand the issue with that car was that they botched the launch. Essentially the car was delayed and they had all these pre-orders. But the never contacted the pre-order folks to keep them engaged. Most of these folks have plenty of money so they didn't even really think about the deposit. And when Honda/Acura got back to them months later, the owners were like "oh, I forgot about that, nevermind, I bought an R8".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.