11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I read somewhere that Honda expects the sales distribution to be 75% sedan and 25% hatchback. Not sure why you think the hatch is more “desired” than the sedan. The hatch just came out and has the manual but it’s also more expensive. Sales talk and if production is comparable I fully expect the sedan to be more desired by the customer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was more enticed by the styling of the hatch over the sedan, I also prefer being able to fold down rear seats and having a rear cargo area which can fit a bunch of things. My first car was an 88 turbo Supra with a targa and hatch, so its kind of reminiscent to have a turbo Honda with sunroof and hatch now in 2022.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Hatchback ST
183 Posts
I liked the styling of the hatch, the Sport Touring to be exact. Loved the unique wheels with the gunmetal machine face, the exhaust surrounds and the sportback look with that huge amount of storage capacity. I'm sure that some chose it just because it can be had with the 6-spd. manual as well.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT in PWP
203 Posts
Your choice of word in the subject line is appropriate - "desired" vs. "liked"

It's not necessarily that more people like the HB vs. the sedan, as that those who do are (presently) a lot more frustrated, and so more vocal

I get the sense that there are many people, at least on this forum, who "desire" a hatchback but cannot or have not yet found one, or one with a "must have" trim or feature to them, or have only found them at gougeworthy prices

You can find the sedans easily enough in every trim, at markup yes very likely but they're on lots, while the hatchbacks are both hard to find AND marked up AND many are already sold while still "in transit"

That's why there are so many threads about finding them, or complaining about the markups on them, and asking for help in finding one at or closer to MSRP or at all. Demand/supply ratio is definitely a lot higher for the HB than for the sedan at the moment.

Maybe Honda has underestimated that "25% of Civic buyers want a hatchback" estimate this time around...?

It could also be a factor that people who want a manual transmission in this car (sensing that the End Is Nigh for the stick shift) are going to the HB because it's no longer available in the sedan at all. They'd already done this in 2020 for the 2021 model year, but that was the last year of the 10th gen anyway, a lot of people were already waiting to see the 11th gen cars.

Yes there's the Si sedan, but see the related thread as to whether the performance additions to it over the sedan are worth what it's lacking from the Touring trim - and if the Sport Touring HB with a manual scratches more of their itches. Some number of those people might have just gotten the Touring sedan with a manual, but not enough for Honda to keep making that at the factory... And it does push some number of them to the ST hatch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm planning to get a Sport hatchback because 1. I want the manual transmission 2. Like the 2.0 NA engine and 3. It comes in a color I want (Lunar Silver). It does look a bit cooler than the sedan.

But if Honda had offered the same engine/transmission/color choice with the sedan would be just as happy with that.

But the people on these forums are far from the average Civic buyer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ironically, I think the fact that the sedan being the one that will make up the majority is what makes the hb have that cachet. Every rando who knows that hondas are reliable and doesn't have enough money for an accord will end up in a lower trim sedan. Making the HB a "conscious" choice.

Another part of that is American's weird distaste for hatches that I don't understand, I find the sedan literally the least useful way of packaging a car, you'll note that with the CUV craze they are really all just hatches with ruined CoG and worse driving dynamics. But now we all "need" to sit up high with the pick up trucks that have all only ever had a full truck bed once. /rant

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ironically, I think the fact that the sedan being the one that will make up the majority is what makes the hb have that cachet. Every rando who knows that hondas are reliable and doesn't have enough money for an accord will end up in a lower trim sedan. Making the HB a "conscious" choice.

Another part of that is American's weird distaste for hatches that I don't understand, I find the sedan literally the least useful way of packaging a car, you'll note that with the CUV craze they are really all just hatches with ruined CoG and worse driving dynamics. But now we all "need" to sit up high with the pick up trucks that have all only ever had a full truck bed once. /rant

I think for many Americans, memory is long. Hatches meant Chevettes, Pintos, Gremlins and other unreliable rusting transportation from the 70s. Even the Golf couldn't change people's minds. Personally, I love a good hatch but this new Civic isn't exactly a traditional hatchback.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic ST Sonic Gray Pearl
79 Posts
It's pretty simple for me. I need to be able to carry things. If I'm doing a weekend trip to vegas, thats luggage plus a cooler. If we do a day trip to the beach, cooler beach chairs umbrella. My mountain bike trips are MTB gear and cooler.

I gave up on a sedan a long time ago. I think they're silly. If you don't need to carry stuff, drive a coupe. At least coupes are sexy. My 3 year plan includes getting a truck and a coupe. Then I don't need a suv/cuv/wagon/hatch.

Also, I think the roofline on the hatch looks awesome. the sedan looks good too, but the hatch definitely looks better

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic ST Sonic Gray Pearl
79 Posts

I'm with you man. Most SUVs are driven by people that will never use the ground clearance. Wagons and hatchbacks handle much better and look WAY better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think for many Americans, memory is long. Hatches meant Chevettes, Pintos, Gremlins and other unreliable rusting transportation from the 70s. Even the Golf couldn't change people's minds. Personally, I love a good hatch but this new Civic isn't exactly a traditional hatchback.
Auto executives memories are long. Almost no one in the market for a civic is old enough to have ever ridden in one of those. But we're still paying for the so many of the bad decisions of the big three (+AMC) back then, the popularity of oversized trucks is another example, the american manufacturs only making cheap and crappy small sedans brings the whole category in the US market down. :(

I'd love the hatch even more if it had a long roof, i love the fact that my fit is basically a mini cube inside, its got the same cargo volume as a CX-5. I wish honda would poset the full volume on the civic hatch id be curious to see how it compares.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm with you man. Most SUVs are driven by people that will never use the ground clearance. Wagons and hatchbacks handle much better and look WAY better.
In defense of CUV buyers the extra suspension travel is nice on our many many crumbling roads, but its not worth the weight efficiency penalty. I'd love more subaru crosstrek/outback like options in terms of being a normal car but not all the way on the ground but i don't like either of the engine options in subaru's line up as either too wimpy or too thirsty.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Auto executives memories are long. Almost no one in the market for a civic is old enough to have ever ridden in one of those. But we're still paying for the so many of the bad decisions of the big three (+AMC) back then, the popularity of oversized trucks is another example, the american manufacturs only making cheap and crappy small sedans brings the whole category in the US market down. :(

That too. But, we have to buy what they build, unfortunately. Personally I don't like four door vehicles. I know they are more practical but there is a reason why most classic cars of any value are coupes and not sedans. I was upset when VW made the Golf a 4 door and took away the 2 door option, but I wanted an R and didn't have a choice so I bought one.

Coupes and hatchbacks need to make a comeback.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great answers.

I think it might also have something to do with hatches have been the preferred platform for racing pedigree enthusiasts to mod and build upon, in general. Honda brand loyalists who owned the previous generations were/are certainly no different, feeling “hot hatches” are still more appealing than the traditional sedan models. Driven by love for modded hatches, loyalty to the brand, buyer interest, and selling as many units as possible, Honda likewise believes the hatch is a more appealing platform from which to base their Type R on. In short, the love for the hatch of previous Civic generations by brand loyalists has simply been carried over to the new 11th generation. In short, the hatch is all about modding, import racing pedigree, and rally sport. We like that.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts