11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Honda built a solid reputation over a few decades and now Civic prices are on the upper end for similar entry-level vehicles. Its actually expensive compared to what Hyundai and Kia offers in this segment. Honda isn't offering the greatest value but does that matter to anyone here? If so, are you shopping for alternatives? I have found myself configuring Elantras quite often and might end up going that route one day soon.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Honda built a solid reputation over a few decades and now Civic prices are on the upper end for similar entry-level vehicles. Its actually expensive compared to what Hyundai and Kia offers in this segment. Honda isn't offering the greatest value but does that matter to anyone here? If so, are you shopping for alternatives? I have found myself configuring Elantras quite often and might end up going that route one day soon.
Reputation goes a long way sometimes. Even when Honda has missed the mark the Civic still has a reputation for being a reliable daily driver. Funny that you mention Hyundai and Kia because it's remarkable how much their build quality has improved year after year.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I test drove a Kona when I was shopping for gen 10 and just did not like it. Also, Kia dealers around here have a horrible reputation for bait and switch ads.

·
Registered
186 Posts
What about the Kona did you not like?
I don't like the concept of these micro SUV to begin with - less space at 25-50% premium, and was only doing it as due diligence/ a favor to the wife. But I got into it and steering wheel was horrible, this dry and slippery material with rough stitching underneath. It was a no there and then.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I don't like the concept of these micro SUV to begin with - less space at 25-50% premium, and was only doing it as due diligence/ a favor to the wife. But I got into it and steering wheel was horrible, this dry and slippery material with rough stitching underneath. It was a no there and then.
The SUV craze really has gone to far with these tiny crossovers. Every time I see one I can't understand why anyone would pay the premium for them. Especially the ones that don't have AWD.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I sat in one at an auto show and the back seat was so cramped for me. It felt like a 2+2 rather than a proper four door vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agree the prices have increased. I see some of the premium as paying extra for the reliability. Toyota is the same way. Seems like their cars are more expensive but you don’t see them on the side of the road as much either.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd say there are several reasons why Hondas are more expensive than either of the Kia brands in this case; materials quality, manufacturing cost, raw materials cost, the list goes on and on. And of course what the market will bear ;)

I follow a channel on YouTube called Savage Geese and the host makes a great point--the Kia/Hyundai conglomerate is wholly vertically integrated so their major raw materials costs are significantly lower and they've outfitted their factories with robots from their robotics division so of course one would/should expect a much lower cost basis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts