11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Honda built a solid reputation over a few decades and now Civic prices are on the upper end for similar entry-level vehicles. Its actually expensive compared to what Hyundai and Kia offers in this segment. Honda isn't offering the greatest value but does that matter to anyone here? If so, are you shopping for alternatives? I have found myself configuring Elantras quite often and might end up going that route one day soon.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Honda built a solid reputation over a few decades and now Civic prices are on the upper end for similar entry-level vehicles. Its actually expensive compared to what Hyundai and Kia offers in this segment. Honda isn't offering the greatest value but does that matter to anyone here? If so, are you shopping for alternatives? I have found myself configuring Elantras quite often and might end up going that route one day soon.
Reputation goes a long way sometimes. Even when Honda has missed the mark the Civic still has a reputation for being a reliable daily driver. Funny that you mention Hyundai and Kia because it's remarkable how much their build quality has improved year after year.

·
Registered
320 Posts
What about the Kona did you not like?
I don't like the concept of these micro SUV to begin with - less space at 25-50% premium, and was only doing it as due diligence/ a favor to the wife. But I got into it and steering wheel was horrible, this dry and slippery material with rough stitching underneath. It was a no there and then.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I don't like the concept of these micro SUV to begin with - less space at 25-50% premium, and was only doing it as due diligence/ a favor to the wife. But I got into it and steering wheel was horrible, this dry and slippery material with rough stitching underneath. It was a no there and then.
The SUV craze really has gone to far with these tiny crossovers. Every time I see one I can't understand why anyone would pay the premium for them. Especially the ones that don't have AWD.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I sat in one at an auto show and the back seat was so cramped for me. It felt like a 2+2 rather than a proper four door vehicle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree the prices have increased. I see some of the premium as paying extra for the reliability. Toyota is the same way. Seems like their cars are more expensive but you don’t see them on the side of the road as much either.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd say there are several reasons why Hondas are more expensive than either of the Kia brands in this case; materials quality, manufacturing cost, raw materials cost, the list goes on and on. And of course what the market will bear ;)

I follow a channel on YouTube called Savage Geese and the host makes a great point--the Kia/Hyundai conglomerate is wholly vertically integrated so their major raw materials costs are significantly lower and they've outfitted their factories with robots from their robotics division so of course one would/should expect a much lower cost basis.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yea not so sure about the Elantra or Kia. I actually just bought a 2019 Hyundai Elantra 12,000 Miles earlier this year around April for $16,500, private owner deal. I knew it was a great deal and heard good things about Hyundais. However after only an hour of research I came across a recall on Hyundais and Kias about something with Piston rings and causing engines fires. They will replaced the part for free and if they suspect the damage is too far they will replace the whole engine for free. Yea, thats a big NO for me and sold my Hyundai immediately. Engine fire recalls? Stick with Honda. They are more reliable and thats what you are paying for. The name and reliability.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea not so sure about the Elantra or Kia. I actually just bought a 2019 Hyundai Elantra 12,000 Miles earlier this year around April for $16,500, private owner deal. I knew it was a great deal and heard good things about Hyundais. However after only an hour of research I came across a recall on Hyundais and Kias about something with Piston rings and causing engines fires. They will replaced the part for free and if they suspect the damage is too far they will replace the whole engine for free. Yea, thats a big NO for me and sold my Hyundai immediately. Engine fire recalls? Stick with Honda. They are more reliable and thats what you are paying for. The name and reliability.
I'm starting to realize that even more now. Thanks for your feedback and welcome to the forum! Did you check out alternatives from other automakers? Toyota? Mazda? I think the Mazda 3 is probably the next best option, at least for those wanting something as sporty as the Civic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm starting to realize that even more now. Thanks for your feedback and welcome to the forum! Did you check out alternatives from other automakers? Toyota? Mazda? I think the Mazda 3 is probably the next best option, at least for those wanting something as sporty as the Civic.
I have not heard anything good nor bad about Mazdas. I'd still stick with Honda or Toyota. I'm not a big fan of Toyota either. I remember when they had that gas pedal failure where cars couldn't stop. That hurt their reputation a lot. I was looking into the 2022 prius and I was wondering why no dealerships around me have Prius in stock, after a little investigation I found out the 2022 Toyota Prius has a computer issue failure which may result in the car completely shutting down randomly increasing risk of an accident. Owners have reported being on the road and all of a sudden all the check engine lights will illuminate and the car shuts down. Thats a big NO for me too. I feel as if Toyota overall creates really good and reliable cars that last longer than any other make. But, when Toyota's do have errors or recalls it seems like its a very serious recall, not a minor recall. I'll stick with Honda.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have not heard anything good nor bad about Mazdas.
My wife's last 3 vehicles have all been from Mazda, and she loves them. I'll also admit that they all have been fun to drive (well, maybe not her '95 Protege), economical, comfortable, and reliable.
Personally, I think that the only other compact sedan that deserved to be mentioned in the same line as the new Civic is the current Mazda 3. I suspect they'll be cross-shopped frequently.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My wife's last 3 vehicles have all been from Mazda, and she loves them. I'll also admit that they all have been fun to drive (well, maybe not her '95 Protege), economical, comfortable, and reliable.
Personally, I think that the only other compact sedan that deserved to be mentioned in the same line as the new Civic is the current Mazda 3. I suspect they'll be cross-shopped frequently.
Agreed. The 3 was second on my list. We gave our daughter a choice of three CUV's to buy and she picked the Mazda CX-30 which has the same interior as the Mazda 3. Super nice, but I just didn't like the two-tone interior and the way the infotainment screen seems kind of half in half out of the dash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.