11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
22 Civic Si
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
Decided to order a Skunk2 shift knob since I had the same shaped 5 speed knob out of the Integra Type R for my Ep3 before selling it. Loved the feel/weight of it and the metal surface doesn’t bother me in the winter or summer extremes. Also got an Acuity boot collar for the setup and love how it’s come out.

Please share what you’ve done yourselves!

Car Vehicle Gear shift Steering part Motor vehicle

· Registered
22 Civic Si
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like a lot of folks are having trouble getting the shift boot down to remove the stock knob. How have you all done it successfully?
I used a flat head screwdriver and poked on both sides of the oem boot collar (where the leather covers it) while getting the leather pulled down which took some strength and pressure. Once the clips inside the collar disconnected that was it.

· Registered
190 Posts
I gently slipped the boot off the collar and broke the collar off. I had the Acuity collar (highly recommended) so I didn't care about breaking the stock collar.

I installed the Sirimoto short throw adapter and Acuity solid shifter base bushings at the same time and those two parts make a massive difference. I already had the shifter linkage bushings on the transmission end which also improved the feel.

I am planning on getting the Acuity Esco insulated knob. Waiting for a centering spring and rocker upgrade. Not sure if the 10th gen stuff will fit.

· Registered
22 Civic Si
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! I found it online. Does it really make that much difference? And what about day to day normal driving?
To feel the biggest difference of the heavier shift knob in day to day driving is enjoying your favorite empty back road or even going through quick downshifts on the highway to get around someone, just my experience. Track driving is overall the reason why the weighted shift knobs exist ;)

· Registered
1,997 Posts
I wanted to try the JDM FK8 shift knob but the factory piece was really expensive, so I got a replica. I enjoyed running it but the leather fell apart within a year's use, so I am back to the OEM stock Si knob. The factory knob is pretty good quality, and it does weigh a decent amount.

· Registered
22 Civic Si
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wanted to try the JDM FK8 shift knob but the factory piece was really expensive, so I got a replica. I enjoyed running it but the leather fell apart within a year's use, so I am back to the OEM stock Si knob. The factory knob is pretty good quality, and it does weigh a decent amount.
Once I took off the oem knob I was impressed with how heavy it was for something from the factory. The ones that came on my WRX and Mustang were amusingly light so I have to give props to Honda for paying attention to detail to enhance the driving experience in the Si. Isn't that genuine FK8 knob over $200??

· Registered
22 Civic Si
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How is the install on this part? Any other mods needed or just the knob?
Took a bit under an hour. I decided to take off the oem shift boot collar and put on an Acuity one to have the skunk2 shift knob sit on as you can see in my original posted pic. Just need to pop off the whole trim that the shifter sits on and disconnect your e brake, drive mode buttons, etc. Zip ties were needed to keep the Acuity boot collar on the leather btw.
Hope that answers your question?

· Registered
2022 Civic Si
330 Posts
Took a bit under an hour. I decided to take off the oem shift boot collar and put on an Acuity one to have the skunk2 shift knob sit on as you can see in my original posted pic. Just need to pop off the whole trim that the shifter sits on and disconnect your e brake, drive mode buttons, etc. Zip ties were needed to keep the Acuity boot collar on the leather btw.
Hope that answers your question?
Thanks! I am surprised the whole trim and buttons need to be removed. The knob gets in today or tomorrow so will attempt to install.

· Registered
1,997 Posts
Once I took off the oem knob I was impressed with how heavy it was for something from the factory. The ones that came on my WRX and Mustang were amusingly light so I have to give props to Honda for paying attention to detail to enhance the driving experience in the Si. Isn't that genuine FK8 knob over $200??
Oh yeah the FK8 JDM knob is well over $200. I didn't want to put out all that money and find out that I didn't like it. I went for the replica to test it out, but like most replica stuff it didn't hold up to long term use, though I did like the feel of the knob and it worked well while I used it. Mine was lighter than the OEM Si Shift knob though, I was hoping it would be heavier but it was not, the OEM shift knob is pretty heavy though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts