11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New to the forum. About to choose to between an EX or Touring Sedan. Not sure I can wait for the Hatch!

Which trim is the quieter ride? I've seen a few reviews that suggest the Touring is the quietest trim of the 2022 series. On this forum, I have seen comments about loud road noise on the Touring.

Your experience? Thanks in advance!

I look forward to comparing them myself, of course, when my local dealers have both cars to test drive.

·
46 Posts
I bought the Touring and I traded a 2020 EXL for it so I can only compare those two. My 2022 Touring had 235-40-18 tires by Goodyear. They are great handling tires, but they are noisy. My belief is the tires are the main culprit of the complaints you hear about the touring. Putting Grand Touring tires on will drastically improve the noise level BUT at the expense of some handling. I think if it had 16"-17" sizes and premium tires the car would be fairly quiet to drive. I'm not talking Lexus quiet but for a Civic about the best Honda ever produced (and I've owned several). My 2020 EXL had 17" wheels but Firestone FT140 tires which are at the bottom of the barrel review wise. They we pretty noisy also, so much so I was contemplating replacing them (but ended up buying the 2022). I was so unhappy with the tire noise of the new 2022 that I sprung for the Michelin Primacy A/S Touring tires but if you caught my earlier review I'm not satisfied with them either. The tire noise is lower but not enough to justify the $800 I paid and they don't handle as good as the Goodyear's (by a long shot). Luckily for me I'm using a tire store that has a 100% satisfaction guarantee so I'm going to try another brand. They'll all be Grand Touring tires though, not the UHP (Ultra High Performance) model the Goodyear's are which are prone to riding rough and be noisy. In conclusion, the EX is probably a fraction quieter than the Touring, only because of the lower profile wheels & tire on the Touring. I'd wait to see the hatch. It's right around the corner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the Touring and I traded a 2020 EXL for it so I can only compare those two. My 2022 Touring had 235-40-18 tires by Goodyear. They are great handling tires, but they are noisy. My belief is the tires are the main culprit of the complaints you hear about the touring. Putting Grand Touring tires on will drastically improve the noise level BUT at the expense of some handling. I think if it had 16"-17" sizes and premium tires the car would be fairly quiet to drive. I'm not talking Lexus quiet but for a Civic about the best Honda ever produced (and I've owned several). My 2020 EXL had 17" wheels but Firestone FT140 tires which are at the bottom of the barrel review wise. They we pretty noisy also, so much so I was contemplating replacing them (but ended up buying the 2022). I was so unhappy with the tire noise of the new 2022 that I sprung for the Michelin Primacy A/S Touring tires but if you caught my earlier review I'm not satisfied with them either. The tire noise is lower but not enough to justify the $800 I paid and they don't handle as good as the Goodyear's (by a long shot). Luckily for me I'm using a tire store that has a 100% satisfaction guarantee so I'm going to try another brand. They'll all be Grand Touring tires though, not the UHP (Ultra High Performance) model the Goodyear's are which are prone to riding rough and be noisy. In conclusion, the EX is probably a fraction quieter than the Touring, only because of the lower profile wheels & tire on the Touring. I'd wait to see the hatch. It's right around the corner.
Thanks Pat. I appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Touring (Rallye Red)
84 Posts
If you are buying the Touring model, I highly doubt that the 12 speaker Bose sound system will be turned off while driving. The Bose system drowns out majority of the road noise from the tires. However, if you plan on having a quiet drives most of the time than the Touring may not be for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are buying the Touring model, I highly doubt that the 12 speaker Bose sound system will be turned off while driving. The Bose system drowns out majority of the road noise from the tires. However, if you plan on having a quiet drives most of the time than the Touring may not be for you.
Thanks for the reply. Are you happy with your Touring so far?

·
Registered
2022 Civic Touring
12 Posts
My Touring isn't noisy at all, rather quite as a matter of fact. The tires seems to be rated nicely, only problem I've had was a ratttle/hum from the rearview mirror, and that was easily fixed by pushing the plastic cover in place. My wife drives it with the radio so low you can hear everything at times no complaints from her, she loves the car.

Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Number

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi. New to the forum. About to choose to between an EX or Touring Sedan. Not sure I can wait for the Hatch!
How can you chose car based on 'road noise'? These 2 trims are, in my opinion. completely 2 different cars. They look the same but Turing is the only trim I would ever buy. In a few years when time comes to change tires, then you can chose quieter one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Touring isn't noisy at all, rather quite as a matter of fact. The tires seems to be rated nicely, only problem I've had was a ratttle/hum from the rearview mirror, and that was easily fixed by pushing the plastic cover in place. My wife drives it with the radio so low you can hear everything at times no complaints from her, she loves the car.

View attachment 2849
Thanks for the reply. Will you be getting a set of snow tires?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How can you chose car based on 'road noise'? These 2 trims are, in my opinion. completely 2 different cars. They look the same but Turing is the only trim I would ever buy. In a few years when time comes to change tires, then you can chose quieter one.
Thanks for reply. There are several options on the Touring trim that I find very desirable. While I wouldn't choose a car based on amount of road noise, I was curious to get feedback from folks who have driven both cars. At least for me, overall noise is a factor for my "daily driver". I understand that the tires play the major role here.

·
46 Posts
Thanks for reply. There are several options on the Touring trim that I find very desirable. While I wouldn't choose a car based on amount of road noise, I was curious to get feedback from folks who have driven both cars. At least for me, overall noise is a factor for my "daily driver". I understand that the tires play the major role here.
If you can afford the extra for the Touring I think it's worth it. I think the tire noise between the two would be marginal. They put those awful Firestone FT140 tires on the EX, but in comparison they put a UHP Goodyear tire that IS extremely noisy on the Touring (contrary to what one person on here has said verses dozens who say otherwise). To me I would upgrade the tires on either model because there is so many better choices (better ride, handling and noise control). I can say from experience going to a Grand touring tire does help with tire noise. BTW I had a 2020 EXL with those Firestones and now the Touring with the Goodyear's (recently swapped for a Michelin) so I do have some experience.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Touring
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Will you be getting a set of snow tires?
I've never had them before so probably not. Live in Michigan my whole life so snow isn't a problem, if it is I'll just work from home or take a snow day.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Touring
12 Posts
If you can afford the extra for the Touring I think it's worth it. I think the tire noise between the two would be marginal. They put those awful Firestone FT140 tires on the EX, but in comparison they put a UHP Goodyear tire that IS extremely noisy on the Touring (contrary to what one person on here has said verses dozens who say otherwise). To me I would upgrade the tires on either model because there is so many better choices (better ride, handling and noise control). I can say from experience going to a Grand touring tire does help with tire noise. BTW I had a 2020 EXL with those Firestones and now the Touring with the Goodyear's (recently swapped for a Michelin) so I do have some experience.

Dozens vs One hundred and eleven, plus me, and my wife so One hundred and thirteen vs "dozens".

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome to the forum @HCivic11.

Which one do you think you're most likely to get at this point?
Any word on when your dealer will be getting both versions to test drive?

·
46 Posts
Dozens vs One hundred and eleven, plus me, and my wife so One hundred and thirteen vs "dozens".
[/QUOTE]
You are the first person I can recall on this forum that said their Touring isn't noisy at all, rather quite (quiet?) as a matter of fact. I didn't bother to read the 100 or so reviews from various models and sizes on Tire Rack. I still say that tire on our car is noisy. Sorry your so offended.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Touring
12 Posts
You are the first person I can recall on this forum that said their Touring isn't noisy at all, rather quite (quiet?) as a matter of fact. I didn't bother to read the 100 or so reviews from various models and sizes on Tire Rack. I still say that tire on our car is noisy. Sorry your so offended.
[/QUOTE]
Not offended at all. Just pointed out that I'm not experiencing the same thing and the tires have a decent noise rating via tire rack. Maybe I've listened to heavy metal music and can't hear as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you have the means why wouldn't you own the Touring sedan?
no one has mentioned that the touring model for the 2022 civic has included with that package extra sound insulation and noise isolation materials and possibly undercarriage panels for that effect as well… This makes the touring model quieter than models below it… When you speak about tire noise I am confused if you are isolating the tire noise from the overall noise or including it in both… I have a 2022 touring and I don’t hear any tire noise but definitely a rougher ride on these ultra high performance tires…

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don’t know the answer to the OP’s original question. Which is quieter? EX or Touring? But I did notice over some surfaces, the road noise on my Touring is pretty loud.

It is very dependent on the road surface though. Sometimes, it’s pretty darn quiet in the cabin as well.

I did recently added some of Honda’s OEM All weather mats though. Which seems to have made a noticeable improvement in noise levels.

I didn’t just swap out the original mats though. I actually put the the all weather mats directly over the original carpet mats. For double sound deadening. All except the driver’s seat of course. You only want a single mat on that one. You want that one secured to the carpet with the locking tabs so it doesn’t shift around and get stuck under your brake pedal when you’re driving or something like that. But the rest, I double layered.

I don’t know if it’s placebo. But there definitely seems to be less noise.

If you’re not into the All weather mats. I actually think the high walled OEM mats would have even better noise suppressing qualities. Might be worth a try.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts