11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with the 10th Gen Civic and the 1.5T motor?

I'm obviously thinking about chipping/flashing it but curious what's a save amount of power to get out of it?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
183 Posts
I believe from what I've read on Hondata and Ktuner... they were able to squeeze around 220-230hp from the standard 1.5T engine without damage to the transmission (in CVT models). There's a lot of available info online for Hondata or Ktuner standard tune maps that they tested and perfected so as not to reduce reliability to the car.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe from what I've read on Hondata and Ktuner... they were able to squeeze around 220-230hp from the standard 1.5T engine without damage to the transmission (in CVT models). There's a lot of available info online for Hondata or Ktuner standard tune maps that they tested and perfected so as not to reduce reliability to the car.
Thanks. So it's less about the engine and more about transmission issues. Those CVTs aren't made for performance.

Is this also true for the Si models?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
183 Posts
Thanks. So it's less about the engine and more about transmission issues. Those CVTs aren't made for performance.

Is this also true for the Si models?
Si models (and models with manual transmissions) can handle more torque than the CVTs can. But Hondata and Ktuner also found ways to map the gearing on the CVT so that it builds progressively rather than being instant off the line, this does a lot to save stress to the CVT as that seems to be where most of the issue lies. The CVT is fine once in motion, its the initial launch that causes the most stress, so they found ways to work around it. I don't fully remember what Torque rating they landed on... surprisingly don't think the CVT vs Manual was far off... just different torque spread. I think they managed to get the Si tune close to 300 horses, if I remember correctly.

For the cost of the module, and maybe some different tires a standard turbo civic can easily outgun a factory Si... and a tuned Si can holds it's own against a factory Type R.

I'll also note that those systems also make it possible to install multiple maps and ways to toggle them, such as making the ECO button switch to a new map, and the S setting on the transmission also changing the maps. So it's possible to keep the factory tune setting in place, and have the higher output tune on demand with a button or gear shift, which is pretty cool I think.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Initial stress is always an issue. I remember back when the WRX first came out everyone complained about weak manual transmissions. The reality is, they were all used to FWD/RWD cars that just let the slip come out at the tires. With a WRX, or any AWD car, the give happens at a different friction point.

And that button idea is amazing. (Heading to YouTube to see if I can find a video of that in action).

·
Registered
643 Posts
DSPORT Magazine was able to get between 18.55 psi and 25.56 psi on the turbo with different tests.

Baseline Horsepower LevelTorque LevelBoost Pressure

187.39 WHP @ 5,550 RPM182.97 lb-ft @ 5,550 RPM18.55 psi
Test 1: Hondata FlashPro Engine Calibration197.12 WHP @ 5,400 RPM218.51 lb-ft @ 3,000 RPM23.20 psi
Test 2: Mishimoto Performance Air Intake205.37 WHP @ 5,200 RPM216.58 lb-ft @ 3,000 RPM23.66 psi
Test 3: Injen Front-Mount Intercooler209.20 WHP @ 5,250 RPM222.95 lb-ft @ 3,200 RPM23.78 psi
Test 4: Custom Hondata FlashPro Tune212.65 WHP @ 5,400 RPM230.08 lb-ft @ 3,450 RPM25.56 psi
Test 5: 102.5-Octane Fuel Blend

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's some early info on the Hondata tuning for the new Civic turbo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts