11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
The reason I ask...Honda highly recommends waiting until it's at least 10% because of the special oil that the car was filled with.
Special oil? Honda 0w20 is made by Idemitsu. Pretty run of the mill synthetic oil. Idemitsu is also the factory fill for Mazda, Nissan, Toyotas that are made in America as well as some Mazda racing teams.

It's really no different than other oils that are API SN certified (which has been updated to API SP and GF6 standards)

The 1.5 engine uses 0w20. You don't have to wait for maintenance minder to change the oil. It is recommended to change engine oil every 12 months or 10000km (6000 miles) whichever comes first.

I tend to stick with Mobil 1 0w20 (or 5w30 for the older non turbo Civic engines) and Fram XG7317 for all my Honda/Acura vehicles as a creature of habit though I've used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum before and OEM Honda oil and filters.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Special oil? Honda 0w20 is made by Idemitsu. Pretty run of the mill synthetic oil. Idemitsu is also the factory fill for Mazda, Nissan, Toyotas that are made in America as well as some Mazda racing teams.

I'm not an expert...but when Honda says there are higher levels of Molybdenum in the 'break in oil'....I believe them.
If you don't....do as you want.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm not an expert...but when Honda says there are higher levels of Molybdenum in the 'break in oil'....I believe them.
If you don't....do as you want.
There isnt. Those are facts.
The first fill will show higher content as proven by oil testing labs.
But it will show higher because of assembly lube. Not the oil itself.honda hasn't used special break in oil since 2000.
So Honda nowhere said they have special break in oil. Betcha can't find it posted anywhere. Because it ain't true. Assembly lube isn't break in oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts