11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
If your car is stock follow the maintenance minder. If you like to blow money/set in old ways/must change oil because you know better/you don't like the color of the oil, change it whenever you want man. It's your time and money at the end of the day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you like to blow money/set in old ways/must change oil because you know better/you don't like the color of the oil, change it whenever you want man. It's your time and money at the end of the day.
Actually, it’s your car at the end of the day. The importance of at least getting bi-annual (twice yearly) oil changes extend beyond swapping out old oil for new. Fresh oil also helps prevent destructive moisture build-up in the engine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Actually, it’s your car at the end of the day. The importance of at least getting bi-annual changes extend beyond swapping out old oil for new. Fresh oil also helps prevent destructive moisture build-up in the engine itself that’s caused by older oil.
Moisture? Never heard of her, since car is always fully warm. Never had an issue following the manufacture oil change recommendation, which usually came in around 7.5K intervals or 12 months. Only time I ever changed oil early was on my 400whp E85 running WRX @4k intervals, for a stock car anything less than 5k is a huge waste. But like I said, it's your time and money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
True, I’m referencing my driving distances and habits which isn't much for where I live. Driving daily prevents such moisture build-up, by default. My point is twice a year oil changes are key no matter what the recommendation tells us, for several reasons, namely those unexpected things that may happen that the recommendation doesn’t factor in. The following article lists a few:

“Few things beat simply pulling the dipstick out of the engine for a visual check. Even new cars can consume a little oil and may need topping off, so this is a good idea to do about once a month anyway. Taking a look at the dipstick can also give you an idea of when you should change your oil based on your driving habits. Look for common warning signs of engine damage while you’re peeking at your dipstick. If your oil looks lighter or cloudier than usual—frothy like latté foam in extreme cases—you may have coolant leaking into the engine, perhaps from a broken head gasket. Watch out for any glittery chunks of metal, too. That usually signifies internal engine damage, potentially from metal parts not getting lubricated well enough. Either way, if your oil looks a little too glittery for comfort or smells too much like another fluid (such as coolant), that’s a good time to get an oil analysis done to determine how that may have happened.”

But like I said, it's your time and money.
Yeah, well, in this instance, you get what you pay for… fresh oil and a brand new, clean oil filter to go with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
True, I’m referencing my driving di
This post isn’t about you though. OP asked when to change first fill. Right? I replied follow MM or do what he wants. Then you made it about bi-annual changes and about you. What are you trying to argue here that benefits the OP and his first oil change? 😂

See patm95 post? That’s a cool post and I can dig that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If your car is stock follow the maintenance minder. If you like to blow money/set in old ways/must change oil because you know better/you don't like the color of the oil, change it whenever you want man. It's your time and money at the end of the day.
As you said, if you have the time and money, do it. Clean oil is always the best choice IMHO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is my first brand new car, i’ve driven mostly used cars so im kinda new at this lol
Following the maintenance minder like a robot doesn’t account for what else could occur that may eventually foul up your oil and/or engine. With the addition of this car being a new generation, no one knows completely as yet what issues might come about with the engine that the recommendations cannot address in hindsight.

My advice to you would be check your oil monthly, and get your first oil change after six months. Getting an oil change every six months cannot hurt if it means the longer life of your vehicle overall. In other words, a whole lot could go wrong within 5,000 to 10,000 miles when solely trusting a manufacturers recommended timeline. Use common sense. ‘Recommendations‘ are just that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Following the maintenance minder like a robot doesn’t account for what else could occur that may eventually foul up your oil. Sludge happens. With the addition of this car being a new generation, no one knows completely as yet what issues might come about with the engine that the recommendations cannot address in retrograde.

My advice to you would be check your oil monthly, and get your first oil change after six months. Getting an oil change every six months cannot hurt if it means the longer life of your vehicle overall. In other words, a whole lot could go wrong within 5,000 to 10,000 miles when solely trusting a manufacture’s recommended timeline. Use common sense. ‘Recommendations‘ are just that.
Atta boi. Nice relevant essay that the OP might find useful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Uh oh, looks like another “essay“ incoming! 😱
This from the Honda of Lincoln website…

More Oil Change Tips
Before visiting our service facility, you can learn how to change your oil and become familiar with some helpful facts about oil changes.
  • An oil change twice a year is highly recommended even if you don’t use your car that much. Oil continuously breaks down over time whether your vehicle is driven daily or not.
  • Regardless of your oil change frequency, the technicians should always replace the oil filter when doing an oil change. If you’re doing a DIY oil change, pick up an oil filter.
How Often Should I Check My Oil Level?
Checking the oil level at least once a month can help you catch oil leaks before they become serious and cause damage to your engine. Along with checking the oil level, check for distinct changes in your oil’s color and any metal particles floating in the oil. Those are signs of a potentially critical problem with your vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Uh oh, looks like another “essay“ incoming! 😱
This from the Honda of Lincoln website…

More Oil Change Tips
Before visiting our service facility, you can learn how to change your oil and become familiar with some helpful facts about oil changes.
  • An oil change twice a year is highly recommended even if you don’t use your car that much. Oil continuously breaks down over time whether your vehicle is driven daily or not.
  • Regardless of your oil change frequency, the technicians should always replace the oil filter when doing an oil change. If you’re doing a DIY oil change, visit the parts department at Honda of Lincoln to pick up an oil filter.
  • Need to know whether to use conventional vs. synthetic oil? Read through your owner’s manual; synthetic oil can be more expensive but certain vehicles might need it.
How Often Should I Check My Oil Level?
Checking the oil level at least once a month can help you catch oil leaks before they become serious and cause damage to your engine. Along with checking the oil level, check for distinct changes in your oil’s color and any metal particles floating in the oil. Those are signs of a potentially critical problem with your vehicle. Schedule a service appointment at Honda of Lincoln today if you’re noticing any issues or are low on oil.

Oops, looks like everything is an “essay” when it comes to key and/or otherwise important information, guy. Also try and remember, you don’t have to reply to this. :ROFLMAO:
I see this thread is living rent free in your head. I completely forgot about it, but here is a nice paper for you to read from 2003, from actual engineers.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I see this thread is living rent free in your head. I completely forgot about it, but here is a nice paper for you to read from 2003, from actual engineers.
Really? It’s more like I just remembered this thread to finally look to see your reply from a month ago, but whatever guy, Heeheehee! The “rent free“ thing was sort of hilarious, at least in your head. Nice .pdf file!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Get an EZ-valve. Oil change becomes a breeze. Just lift front of car a little bit, put some container (5 liters or more) under the valve, move lever to open it and come back in few hours.
For brand, brand new car I would do first oil change after 2K km to flash all potential metal particles (as per urban legend). Changing oil yourself is the cheapest and most effective maintenance you can do. In Canada 5 liters of dino oil is about $15+tax when on sale. I guess in USA is dirt cheap. Even if you do it twice a year it comes to 3-4 coffees + doughnuts or 2 packs of cigarettes and Both are bad for you anyway...

·
Registered
31 Posts
For brand, brand new car I would do first oil change after 2K km to flash all potential metal particles (as per urban legend). Changing oil yourself is the cheapest and most effective maintenance you can do.
Solid advice HondaEh.

Maintenance minders do a great job at assumIng all is going perfect with your engine up to 10,000 miles and beyond. But the real world is different. Tech articles suggest to get your first oil change much sooner than the manufacturer recommendation because problems with new engines might not show up until long afterward and could have been easily prevented during those first one or two oil changes done within six to twelve months of new ownership.

Some haters hate the sound advice but their weird emotions won’t affect my car, with its cleaner oil and new oil filters twice a year. :eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a bit more hardcore when it comes to the FIRST oil change. As this is very important to me, and I will be changing it @ 500 miles, then 2500 miles, then 5k every other time. Extremely cheap and easy insurance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get an EZ-valve. Oil change becomes a breeze. Just lift front of car a little bit, put some container (5 liters or more) under the valve, move lever to open it and come back in few hours.
For brand, brand new car I would do first oil change after 2K km to flash all potential metal particles (as per urban legend). Changing oil yourself is the cheapest and most effective maintenance you can do. In Canada 5 liters of dino oil is about $15+tax when on sale. I guess in USA is dirt cheap. Even if you do it twice a year it comes to 3-4 coffees + doughnuts or 2 packs of cigarettes and Both are bad for you anyway...
This seems like a terrible idea to have a quarter-turn valve on the bottom of your oil pan, ready and willing to dump all your oil if it gets jostled. Seems like a needlessly dangerous introduction of another risk factor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This seems like a terrible idea to have a quarter-turn valve on the bottom of your oil pan, ready and willing to dump all your oil if it gets jostled. Seems like a needlessly dangerous introduction of another risk factor.
Been running fumoto valves on most of cars for the past 6 years, never an issue. Have you any experience w/ oil dumps? Or just broscience like everyone else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts