11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2022 civic sport this past weekend and wondering what is the absolute best oil and filter for it for when it comes time to change the oil?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Civic Sport Sedan requires 0w-20 oil so buy one from a reputable brand and you'll be good to go. And don't care about those that charge an arm and leg for oil that lasts 20k miles or such nonsense. Get a reputable brand correct specification oil and change it every 5k miles and you'll be good to go. Some say 5k miles is an overkill but see oil and filter is cheap maintenance but engine is expensive. For oil filter I always buy Honda OEM from dealership when it goes on sale for like $4 each.

·
Registered
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Sold 2022) 2005 SLK350 2007 Buick Lucerne 4.6L 2017 Titan XD 5.0L
22 Posts
I just purchased a case of Idemitsu 0W-20 for $4.75/quart but it's GF5. Would it be terrible to use it since it's not GF6? I have a '22 Civic Si on order and would be using it in that.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I just purchased a case of Idemitsu 0W-20 for $4.75/quart but it's GF5. Would it be terrible to use it since it's not GF6? I have a '22 Civic Si on order and would be using it in that.
I mean maybe for like 3000 miles. But this being a gdi engine series I'd say,switch it out for a gf6.
Kirkland signature 0w20 works rather well
It's a solid d1g2 so it's all your engine needs.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I did plan to change it at every 5,000. Only reason I really did want to know for sure is because the owners manual doesn't say much of anything in it honestly. This is my first brand new car ever which is why I was wanting some opinions. I just want to be sure to use the better ones to keep this car running for, well..ever. :)
I've always had used cars that sucked ass. So I want to treat this one like the princess she is

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thanks, I did plan to change it at every 5,000. Only reason I really did want to know for sure is because the owners manual doesn't say much of anything in it honestly. This is my first brand new car ever which is why I was wanting some opinions. I just want to be sure to use the better ones to keep this car running for, well..ever. :)
I've always had used cars that sucked ass. So I want to treat this one like the princess she is
0w20 is full synthetic generally. I don't think you can get a 0w20 non synthetic. So they all generally work .
Just remember to clean the intake every 20 k and keep air filter clean. Gdi is notorious for.issues because of it.

·
Registered
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Sold 2022) 2005 SLK350 2007 Buick Lucerne 4.6L 2017 Titan XD 5.0L
22 Posts
0w20 is full synthetic generally. I don't think you can get a 0w20 non synthetic. So they all generally work .
Just remember to clean the intake every 20 k and keep air filter clean. Gdi is notorious for.issues because of it.
I also purchased a catch can so I'm hoping carbon on the valves will be greatly reduced. Wish I had looked closer at the fact that it was GF5 instead of GF6. Now I have a whole case of useless oil.......:cautious:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I also purchased a catch can so I'm hoping carbon on the valves will be greatly reduced. Wish I had looked closer at the fact that it was GF5 instead of GF6. Now I have a whole case of useless oil.......:cautious:
Nah just run it as a "cleaner oil" for about 3000 highway or 1500 hard city miles.
Then dump it. Not.much of a waste.
Engine is still new it won't hurt it. But I would say stick to a gf6. I got the catch can too but haven't had time to install it. But ever since 14 when I had my accord sport I did my own intake cleaning with the seafoam stuff. Works great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nah just run it as a "cleaner oil" for about 3000 highway or 1500 hard city miles.
Then dump it. Not.much of a waste.
Engine is still new it won't hurt it. But I would say stick to a gf6. I got the catch can too but haven't had time to install it. But ever since 14 when I had my accord sport I did my own intake cleaning with the seafoam stuff. Works great.
Ok, I feel better knowing that @1pt5Vtec.

I've heard good results from spraying the Seafoam method to clean the intake and intake plenums. Not sure if anyone has removed the intake manifold to check the backs of the valves but I guess the Seafoam method does show promising results; from what I've seen and heard.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The Honda manual calls for GF5 oil but that's likely because it was printed before GF6 was standardized. Each generation of standards is backwards compatible and more stringent than the last. So GF5 is sufficient, however GF6 oil would be at least the same, if not better.

Think about it this way. Idemitsu or whatever OEM may have designed an oil to be "60%" when the passing grade to meet GF5 is "50%" and GF6 is "70%". The formulation may or may not change based on the new spec, if it's designed to exceed the current spec.

In any case, I prefer Mobil1 0w20 when it's on sale and Honda OEM or Fram Ultra Synthetic filters XG7317. Change every 5k miles/8k KM or 12 months. I did get a free oil and filter change voucher from my dealer when I bought my car so that first change will be at the dealer then to my mechanic.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Honda manual calls for GF5 oil but that's likely because it was printed before GF6 was standardized. Each generation of standards is backwards compatible and more stringent than the last. So GF5 is sufficient, however GF6 oil would be at least the same, if not better.

Think about it this way. Idemitsu or whatever OEM may have designed an oil to be "60%" when the passing grade to meet GF5 is "50%" and GF6 is "70%". The formulation may or may not change based on the new spec, if it's designed to exceed the current spec.

In any case, I prefer Mobil1 0w20 when it's on sale and Honda OEM or Fram Ultra Synthetic filters XG7317. Change every 5k miles/8k KM or 12 months. I did get a free oil and filter change voucher from my dealer when I bought my car so that first change will be at the dealer then to my mechanic.
Serious question: why not change the oil yourself? I even used to do it myself when living in apartments. Changing oil is such an important yet relatively easy thing to do. I don't understand why car enthusiasts don't do it themselves. I'm paranoid that someone else would not use the oil they said they were going to use. I guess if you have a good mechanic you can trust them. But it's so quick to do that you probably save both time and money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
"The Honda manual calls for GF5 oil but that's likely because it was printed before GF6 was standardized."

Wait, the 2022 manual calls for GF5? I thought the GF6 standard came out in 2020.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Serious question: why not change the oil yourself? I even used to do it myself when living in apartments. Changing oil is such an important yet relatively easy thing to do. I don't understand why car enthusiasts don't do it themselves. I'm paranoid that someone else would not use the oil they said they were going to use. I guess if you have a good mechanic you can trust them. But it's so quick to do that you probably save both time and money.
I can't speak for others but I normally do it at my mechanic because he's honest and I like supporting his business and for warranty purposes during the 3 year period.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wait, the 2022 manual states GF5? I thought the GF6 standard came out in 2020.
Actually, I'm mistaken. It only says, use an oil with the API Seal. So according to the API Website,
  • Effective May 1, 2021, ILSAC GF-6A provides the only basis for issuance of a license to use the API Certification Mark “Starburst.” Oils meeting ILSAC GF-5 will no longer be eligible to display the API Certification Mark “Starburst” and will no longer appear on the online EOLCS Directory after April 30, 2021.
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Pattern

·
Registered
553 Posts
Actually, I'm mistaken. It only says, use an oil with the API Seal. So according to the API Website,
  • Effective May 1, 2021, ILSAC GF-6A provides the only basis for issuance of a license to use the API Certification Mark “Starburst.” Oils meeting ILSAC GF-5 will no longer be eligible to display the API Certification Mark “Starburst” and will no longer appear on the online EOLCS Directory after April 30, 2021.
View attachment 11361
And that's why I like using the Costco stuff. It's a d1g2 and that's perfect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts