11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I need help on making a decisions since I can't make one on my own. I thought about reaching out to fellow Honda Civic owners to maybe help me decide on a 2022 Honda Civic sport touring hatchback or a 2019 Honda Insight touring?

I'm currently in the market between these two vehicles, now I do want a more fuel efficient car since I am going into college and will be a broke college student so a car that is fun to drive, fuel efficient and looks sporty is definitely what I'm going for.

I really like the Honda civic because of having more features I may want, such as the Bose audio system, Blind-spot and more power but the Honda insight has a very interior, (maybe) a little more interior space and is more fuel efficient. I did test drive a black 2019 Honda insight touring (photo below) and I thought the audio system was about right, I like a really hard bass system and I maxed the settings on the bass when I test drove it, it was nice but I wasn't crazy about it but I loved how it drove with the regenerative braking and instant torque from a dead stop. I didn't mind the lane-watch camera but I feel like a sensor may be more useful for me and I feel like it's just a nice gimmick to have or show off to friends. I still yet have to drive the all-new Honda civic and test how it drives with more power and features. I do like how both the cars look and how similar they are but they are still two very different cars. I'm not gonna lie, I do have a heavy foot and tend to drive pretty aggressively coming from a 2007 Lexus IS350 owner, I like to have the power to past people or even mod my cars since I do consider myself as a car enthusiast.

I want to know from other Civic owners how they feel about their cars like drive-feel, fuel economy, power and etc. I did make a car comparison between both of these amazing cars (photos below) that may helped me decided but I'm still in the same position. I hope you guys can help me decide on what car I should consider to get.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Cloud
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hey @Ixcyy. Driving both is really the only way to know for yourself and as soon as you do, let us know what you think! But with the Insight getting nearly 20 MPG more in the city, it really can't be beat with fuel efficiency. But at 35 MPG city, the Civic could be good enough for someone like yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Insight's system is geared for efficiency primarily at city speeds. The two-motor system will use the electric motor primarily for propulsion with power supplied from battery or engine as a generator at low speeds. After a certain highway speed, the engine directly couples to the wheels as if it is running in high gear at which point efficiency is purely from the engine which might not the be the best compared to the hybrid system.
So if you primarily drive more on city with occasional highway, you'll have good efficiency and better torque since electric motor will have engaged. At highway speeds, you're effectively running on a 151hp engine at its highest gear. Passing power might not be incredible given the smaller capacity engine, but you can only verify that if you test drive it.
I also read on some forums where people say the hybrid system feels a little decoupled from the throttle inputs, since the noise from the engine doesn't correlate with the speeds you're doing.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT in PWP
203 Posts
Insight's system is geared for efficiency primarily at city speeds. The two-motor system will use the electric motor primarily for propulsion with power supplied from battery or engine as a generator at low speeds. After a certain highway speed, the engine directly couples to the wheels as if it is running in high gear at which point efficiency is purely from the engine which might not the be the best compared to the hybrid system.
So if you primarily drive more on city with occasional highway, you'll have good efficiency and better torque since electric motor will have engaged. At highway speeds, you're effectively running on a 151hp engine at its highest gear. Passing power might not be incredible given the smaller capacity engine, but you can only verify that if you test drive it.

I also read on some forums where people say the hybrid system feels a little decoupled from the throttle inputs, since the noise from the engine doesn't correlate with the speeds you're doing.
Yeah, I have a 2020 CR-V hybrid with a similar Honda implementation of gas/electric hybrid and the bold parts from that ring very, very true.

TLDR, a Honda hybrid like the Insight or CR-V hybrid will perform as advertised/expected, but only if you regularly drive at least 20-30 minutes at a time in city or congested highway traffic, and you don't cruise on open highways faster than 60 MPH.

If you either do "lots of short trips" style city driving, and/or expect to cruise at 70+ MPH, you will likely be disappointed in the fuel economy and/or unhappy with the noise level of the engine, and also have very little passing power on the highway - all the power (with the electric assist) happens at around 40 MPH and under.

(I think the electric motor may kick in an assist to help pass at highway speeds, but not in a sustained way, and only after a few moments convinces it that it's necessary)

If I get that CR-V Hybrid much over 65 MPH on the highway, its 150-ish hp ICE engine is roaring away in top gear at like 4500 RPM and sounding really unhappy and noisy - not like a thrilling "VTEC goes bwaaah" revving noise, more like "please I'm just a helpless donkey, stop whipping me" noise.

I can get 40+ MPH in city or traffic jam driving, and the low speed boost in HP/torque from the electric motor, or full electric mode while creeping along in slow traffic, really helps. But even there, there is another caveat to getting that kind of MPH in city driving: the time spent driving!

If your pattern of "city driving" is doing short trips, so like a series of 5-10 minute jaunts running errands in a 5-mile radius, you may be viciously disappointed in the benefit from the hybrid because again, I get no better than 26-28 mpg that way. The electric motor has to warm up the battery (even if it's summertime) before drawing on it, and the ICE engine (like any other) will use more fuel upon first starting up. There's no "hybrid benefit" until around the 10 minute mark, and more like 15 minutes in the winter.

If that sounds like I hate the car, that's not at all true, it's actually really, really nice - but I would not say it's "fun to drive": it's definitely on the "appliance side" of vehicle.

Hi everyone, I need help on making a decisions since I can't make one on my own. I thought about reaching out to fellow Honda Civic owners to maybe help me decide on a 2022 Honda Civic sport touring hatchback or a 2019 Honda Insight touring?

I'm currently in the market between these two vehicles, now I do want a more fuel efficient car since I am going into college and will be a broke college student so a car that is fun to drive, fuel efficient and looks sporty is definitely what I'm going for.

...I do like how both the cars look and how similar they are but they are still two very different cars. I'm not gonna lie, I do have a heavy foot and tend to drive pretty aggressively coming from a 2007 Lexus IS350 owner, I like to have the power to past people or even mod my cars since I do consider myself as a car enthusiast.
Drive a hybrid car in the context it was made for, and it will reliably, safely, and comfortably get you from A to B with good fuel economy. But as for zooming around passing people on the highway or feeling the Gs in the twisties, hell to the no. Not even a little bit.

(...which is why I gave it to my daughter after she graduated from college to use as a daily driver)

Now, there are such animals as "performance hybrid" cars, I don't want to make it sound like there aren't. But the Honda CR-V Hybrid and Insight are not. They are aimed at people who want safety and fuel economy above all else, and even then, should understand that that requires a certain driving style/use case to maximize, or you may be making a tradeoff that's less in your favor than you thought it would be.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT in PWP
203 Posts
🤣🤣🤣LMFAO, that's one way to put it
Yeah, even the Car & Driver review of the Insight and the CR-V hybrids alike only said something like "can get noisy when you step on it" or "lots of engine noise at higher speeds", and a person with a history of driving Honda vehicles might think "hey, I kind of like hearing a Honda engine at higher revs!" Not this one, buddy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts