11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 Si, 2k miles. What’s up with 2nd gear in the cold?

When leaving for work in the morning, around 30F or 40F so far this year, I have a heck of a time with 2nd gear.

My initial shift into 2nd after first taking off is usually fine, but shifting after that is kind of a crunch I guess? Not a grind, also wouldn’t call it notchy. This continues until things warm up.

This becomes a problem when I’m slowing down and need to shift down into 2nd. I usually can’t even get it into gear like any other gear. I’ve had luck sometimes with double clutching, but that’s usually 50/50 if it lets me into gear. I either have to go into 3rd around 11-15 MPH or slow down to around 5 MPH for it to go into 2nd.

I’ve also had luck when upshifting by doing a quick double clutch (clutch in, neutral, clutch out, clutch in, 2nd gear). It’s super smooth that way.

I’d say even when it’s warm, sometimes 2nd isn’t as smooth when downshifting into it, but not at all as bad when cold.

Is this just something to be expected? I had a brand new 2015 Si back in ‘15 and I recall having the same thing happen and I know I’ve read more than a few posts saying the same or similar things. Just afraid I’m ruining the synchro or something, but what else am I supposed to do without forcing it? Just dead stop and start in 1st, probably tick some people off?

· Registered
1,952 Posts
amsoil MTF 5w30 tranny fluid swap will solve that issue. I had the same issues , and similar experiences with past Hondas too, and Amsoil always solved the problem. Oddly enough the Amsoil is a thicker fluid than the Honda MTF yet it works better in cold temps. Your LSD will like it better too. I swapped my fluid out very early last winter and it has worked well since.

· Registered
125 Posts
amsoil MTF 5w30 tranny fluid swap will solve that issue. I had the same issues , and similar experiences with past Hondas too, and Amsoil always solved the problem. Oddly enough the Amsoil is a thicker fluid than the Honda MTF yet it works better in cold temps. Your LSD will like it better too. I swapped my fluid out very early and it has worked well since.
Yep I second this.

· Registered
7 Posts
I live in socal (so no temps really below 55F) and I get the same exact issue. Doesn't matter if it's warm or cold, I get the crunchy, rarely grindy, downshifts into 2nd. I've been meaning to replace the trans fluid with either Amsoil or GM SynchroMesh. It seems that most folks on the forums use Amsoil, it's just some pricey stuff.

· Registered
1,952 Posts
I live in socal (so no temps really below 55F) and I get the same exact issue. Doesn't matter if it's warm or cold, I get the crunchy, rarely grindy, downshifts into 2nd. I've been meaning to replace the trans fluid with either Amsoil or GM SynchroMesh. It seems that most folks on the forums use Amsoil, it's just some pricey stuff.
You don't need very much fluid, and it will last a long time, so a very inexpensive fluid swap. It is cheaper than an oil change.

· Registered
125 Posts
You don't need very much fluid, and it will last a long time, so a very inexpensive fluid swap. It is cheaper than an oil change.
2 quarts is all you need.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my 23-Civic Si. Maybe it is because of the weather (Sub 40F) but I am not sure. If I shift from 1st to 2nd under 2500 rpm, things work smoothly. However, when I try to switch from 1st to 2nd above 2500 rpm, I can feel some uneasiness in the gear knob.

· Registered
11 Posts
I think I am experiencing the same thing but it happens when going into third and sometimes into 4th. Thinking I may be hitting the gate or something, I have tried adjusting the angle with which I push the knob into gear, but it is inconsistent at best. This is my first manual, so I am always questioning my ability, but I have tried everything I can think of to get it smooth and it just doesn’t seem to want to. I am in Utah and it admittedly is cold right now. Do you think a change in fluid is possibly the answer? Or do I need to take it in to the dealer and have them look at it?

· Registered
7 Posts
I did the amsoil synchromesh fluid swap and it did help. I still rarely get a 2nd gear grind, I'd say I experience the grinding maybe once a week instead of once every other day. Admittedly I don't live in a cold weather environment(so cal) and I hear that the synchromesh swap is a lot more noticeable in extremely cold weather, but I have noticed an improvement. It took a few miles of driving to have it cycle through the tranny though, so don't expect a change immediately. IMO it's definitely worth trying out before bringing it to the dealer.

· Registered
11 Posts
Can someone please post the Amsoil part number? Experiencing this myself in cold mornings and want to improve it.
[/QUOTE
Can someone please post the Amsoil part number? Experiencing this myself in cold mornings and want to improve it.
This was my next question. Great minds must think alike.
Is the swap difficult? I haven’t really gotten under the hood on mine yet. I know a lot of newer cars have sewed transmission cases, but it may be different for a manual which I have never worked on.

· Registered
125 Posts
This was my next question. Great minds must think alike.
Is the swap difficult? I haven’t really gotten under the hood on mine yet. I know a lot of newer cars have sewed transmission cases, but it may be different for a manual which I have never worked on.
Pretty easy to do. Here's a video of a 10th gen Si but same applies to the 11th gen.

· Registered
2 Posts
amsoil MTF 5w30 tranny fluid swap will solve that issue. I had the same issues , and similar experiences with past Hondas too, and Amsoil always solved the problem. Oddly enough the Amsoil is a thicker fluid than the Honda MTF yet it works better in cold temps. Your LSD will like it better too. I swapped my fluid out very early last winter and it has worked well since.
thank you for this. I am experiencing a small catch going into 2nd as well so I’ll try this out. Why would the gear oil chosen by Honda engineers not be the best I wonder?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts