11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob question, but I read that the LX and Sport trims of the 11th gen Civic have i-VTEC. Can anyone confirm this information? Second, how would one go about "engaging" VTEC in a CVT? Wouldn't the transmission prevent the engine from reaching the high RPMs it needs to reach the VTEC range?

New to VTEC and CVTs in general, so looking to learn more. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
183 Posts
Noob question, but I read that the LX and Sport trims of the 11th gen Civic have i-VTEC. Can anyone confirm this information? Second, how would one go about "engaging" VTEC in a CVT? Wouldn't the transmission prevent the engine from reaching the high RPMs it needs to reach the VTEC range?

New to VTEC and CVTs in general, so looking to learn more. Thanks!
Someone may have to correct me but my understanding of the engine breakdown is that the 2.0 engines have i-VTEC while the 1.5T engines now have VTEC on the exhaust side. As for the CVT, you can totally redline a CVT if you floor it. In fact, to really feel the CVTs "fake gear steps" you pretty much have to floor it, otherwise it defaults to more of the steady rpm holding during lighter throttle application. Just like a normal stepped automatic the CVT logic will "shift" based on a variety of factors like throttle input, speed, etc. If you floor the gas pedal (especially in sport mode on applicable models) the CVT has no issues getting into the upper rpm range where VTEC lives.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i-vtec is activated by oil pressure, not strictly rpms. There’s a few variables that make it kick in such as throttle position, duration of acceleration, and rpm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts