11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the dealership offered me an undercoating package that was $549, he said it came with a 10-year warranty any parts that rust would be replaced free
any anyone else hears of this or get offered this?

and it, not the little electronic box either its a spray undercoating told its rubberized?

previously my other cars I used Krown undercoating.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any of the dealer add-ons are huge profit makers, and most are unnecessary. I see you are in Canada, so maybe things are different, but in the US, how many cars these days have rust issues that are so significant that they would mean repairs were needed, after just 10 years? I'd say 1 in 10,000 cars.

Also, I follow a few professional youtube mechanics, and I distinctly remember one saying that he has seen cars coming in with the undercoating that have MORE rust than for cars without it, because water gets trapped between the metal and undercoating, once there are cracks. Of course, that may not be for all brands of undercoating.

Undercoating, window etching, and nitrogen, are ways to up dealer profit while letting the customer think they are not paying a lot for the car itself.

Here is what a dealer I contacted is offering MANDATORY with a 2022 Civic sale, all with ridiculous profit margins:
159.95 Nitrogen
$159.95 Vin Etching
$495 Eckbond (paint and interior protection)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any of the dealer add-ons are huge profit makers, and most are unnecessary. I see you are in Canada, so maybe things are different, but in the US, how many cars these days have rust issues that are so significant that they would mean repairs were needed, after just 10 years? I'd say 1 in 10,000 cars.

Also, I follow a few professional youtube mechanics, and I distinctly remember one saying that he has seen cars coming in with the undercoating that have MORE rust than for cars without it, because water gets trapped between the metal and undercoating, once there are cracks. Of course, that may not be for all brands of undercoating.

Undercoating, window etching, and nitrogen, are ways to up dealer profit while letting the customer think they are not paying a lot for the car itself.

Here is what a dealer I contacted is offering MANDATORY with a 2022 Civic sale, all with ridiculous profit margins:
159.95 Nitrogen
$159.95 Vin Etching
$495 Eckbond (paint and interior protection)
we SALT the roads HEAVY up here in the winter so and undercoating is required for sure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've always had Krown applied yearly to my cars and I've never had a spot of rust. I wouldn't bother with what the dealer offers and continue your usual Krown regimen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have anything to add in terms of rust protection. But the ranting sarcastic part of me says you should ask them if it covers replacing those plastic engine cover pieces that always break off. I'm sure it doesn't but I get so annoyed when those things come loose.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ask them for their definition of RUST. If you see little rust I doubt they would replace that part. Read warranty very careful and ask a lot of questions and request explanations for what if this what is that occurs.
Look what it says for manufacturers rust warranty... I believe it says 'perforated' rust meaning you have to have a hole in bodywork in order for warranty to step in.
If you decide to do any 'protection' (paint, interior, under-body) do your research for independent providers. Dealerships are making bulk of income on these 'protections' and service.
Interior - you can do it yourself; paint - yourself - do proper clay bar treatment, apply good wax every few months. My paint on 17 year old car is like NEW. Even better due to clay bar work. Smooth as baby's ...
Under body - it is up to you. Never had it, yes it is rusty but it does not concern me. Car will not suddenly break down in the middle of the road.
If you LOVE your car so much, I would do brake calipers powder coating. Honda's calipers rust in no time...

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you want the undercoating, just get your own for for $129: Pricing, which even comes with a warranty of sorts (apply within 6 months of first getting your car and annually after that to take advantage of the warranty).

That 10-year warranty isn't worth the extra $420, which likely mostly relies on the fact that you probably won't have rusted parts anyway within 10 years and even if you do have a rusted part AND you can force them to pay for it without them them trying to loophole you for it, it may not even be a part worth $420.

·
Registered
89 Posts
the dealership offered me an undercoating package that was $549, he said it came with a 10-year warranty any parts that rust would be replaced free
any anyone else hears of this or get offered this?

and it, not the little electronic box either its a spray undercoating told its rubberized?

previously my other cars I used Krown undercoating.
IMO that undercoating is a BIG mistake. Look on YouTube you can see a lot problems people have. .....don’t do it.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMO that undercoating is a BIG mistake. Look on YouTube you can see a lot problems people have. .....don’t do it.....
Oh wow, you weren't kidding:
That is an example of a rubberized undercoating that trapped in a bunch of moisture and made the car much worse instead of protecting the car. Is there anything I should be doing to protect my car? I don't live in Canada like the OP, but I do live in the US Midwest where we still have plenty of snow and salting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That is an example of a rubberized undercoating that trapped in a bunch of moisture and made the car much worse instead of protecting the car. Is there anything I should be doing to protect my car? I don't live in Canada like the OP, but I do live in the US Midwest where we still have plenty of snow and salting.
I don't know what product the dealers would sell and use but Krown isn't a rubberized compound, it's a thin petroleum-based product. I've never had an issue with it, I've never had a car show any signs of rust with it applied, and I'm fully intending to have my new Civic given the Krown treatment before the winter rolls around for what it's worth.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know what product the dealers would sell and use but Krown isn't a rubberized compound, it's a thin petroleum-based product. I've never had an issue with it, I've never had a car show any signs of rust with it applied, and I'm fully intending to have my new Civic given the Krown treatment before the winter rolls around for what it's worth.
sounds like KROWN is the winner it's what I've done with my other cars as well. i know it works but the looks of the youtube video the rubberized is a horrible idea

thanks guys!

·
Registered
32 Posts
we SALT the roads HEAVY up here in the winter so and undercoating is required for sure.
I would rather buy a couple of rattlecans and spray the underside myself. Many moons ago while a teenager I did "rustproofing" at a Toyota dealer. We used the "Rusty Jone's" crap. We basically drilled a hole in the door sills then sprayed this brown gunk into it then plugged the hole with a plastic tab. All for $400. I couldn't believe people actually bought this useless garbage. Good sales people I suppose. :sneaky:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've used this stuff and it works wonders. Won't chip, flake, and stops / prevents rust...... permanently
Amazon.com: POR-15 45818 Top Coat Gloss Black Spray Paint 15 fl. oz.: Automotive

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i decided to go with a 129+tax job, it's the Corrosion FREE product, supposed to be better than Krown, I'm booked in for a couple weeks from now to get it done

thanks for the help folks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Living in the salt belt (Erie Pa.), I'll give you my .02 on rustproofing. Honda applies a pretty good interior semi-liquid rustproofing in the doors, quarter panels etc.. similar to 3M rustfighter . The underside and suspension components and attachment points are basically just painted or raw. The rust that I see on them is most prevalent on hard lines, such as vapor and fuel lines and on welded on rear suspension attachment points. As stated in an earlier post, rubberized or asphalt based products are rust traps. The products that do protect well such as Krown and Fluid Film do the job, but come off over time and as such should be re-applied yearly.
Dave

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Living in the salt belt (Erie Pa.), I'll give you my .02 on rustproofing. Honda applies a pretty good interior semi-liquid rustproofing in the doors, quarter panels etc.. similar to 3M rustfighter . The underside and suspension components and attachment points are basically just painted or raw. The rust that I see on them is most prevalent on hard lines, such as vapor and fuel lines and on welded on rear suspension attachment points. As stated in an earlier post, rubberized or asphalt based products are rust traps. The products that do protect well such as Krown and Fluid Film do the job, but come off over time and as such should be re-applied yearly.
Dave
I will be getting mine done yearly for sure going forward. I live in Nova Scotia. We use mega tones of slat and brine water on the highways.
need as much protection as I can get

1 - 16 of 16 Posts