11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
As we all know the Sport Touring hatch has a 8” subwoofer with a enclosure and the touring sedan’s subwoofer is just mounted to the rear trunk lid with no enclosure.
My question is do you think there will be a noticeable difference in bass quality between the two vehicles?
Has anyone been privileged to test out the audio in both cars side-by-side?

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT in PWP
203 Posts
I got a feeling the hatch will sound more punchy due to having its own enclosure. But just assuming. Be nice to get an actual comparison.
I just posted a "review" of the Bose system in the ST hatch, but have no basis to compare to the one in the sedan.

There is an enclosure for the 8" subwoofer driver, in the rear right panel of the hatch, it's not a very big one but it matches a low profile driver.

In a nutshell, coming from years of driving cars with custom aftermarket subwoofer "panel" enclosures in the trunk (including a hatch in the MDX) similar to the Bose one, but large enough to house a 10" driver, I noticed certain very deep bass notes were missing... But also that this sounds like a "real" subwoofer, not just overdriving a 6.5" woofer or a 6x9 panel with no enclosure.

Doesn't the sedan subwoofer have an enclosure under it? Just because it's in the rear deck of the car doesn't mean anything, sealed volume is what you want for a sub driver for it to sound tight, otherwise you just get "boom" without the "punch" so to speak.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Doesn't the sedan subwoofer have an enclosure under it? Just because it's in the rear deck of the car doesn't mean anything, sealed volume is what you want for a sub driver for it to sound tight, otherwise you just get "boom" without the "punch" so to speak.
The sedan‘s subwoofer has no enclosure at all. The rear is open to the trunk. As you said, it doesn’t have the “punch” I’m used to hearing with subs in enclosures.

Even though I haven’t heard the Bose system in the hatch. I’m pretty confident the Hatchback has punchier bass.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic ST Sonic Gray Pearl
79 Posts
I just posted a "review" of the Bose system in the ST hatch, but have no basis to compare to the one in the sedan.

There is an enclosure for the 8" subwoofer driver, in the rear right panel of the hatch, it's not a very big one but it matches a low profile driver.

In a nutshell, coming from years of driving cars with custom aftermarket subwoofer "panel" enclosures in the trunk (including a hatch in the MDX) similar to the Bose one, but large enough to house a 10" driver, I noticed certain very deep bass notes were missing... But also that this sounds like a "real" subwoofer, not just overdriving a 6.5" woofer or a 6x9 panel with no enclosure.

You know of anybody who replaced the subwoofer in the hatch? I want a little more, but I don't want to give up cargo space

·
Registered
203 Posts
You know of anybody who replaced the subwoofer in the hatch? I want a little more, but I don't want to give up cargo space
I had given thought to this, and decided I wasn't going to go this route after hearing it

My plan was to leave the cabin speakers as they are (since they are tuned to work with the Bose amplifier and processor and actually have decent power/sound), but to remove the spare tire and put something like this in its place, using the 10" driver of your choice:

Where the "indentation space" at the top would allow a good, small mono amp like the Alpine R-A75M to be attached for a clean install, redirecting the line from the (disabled) stock Bose sub to this

·
Registered
203 Posts
I did this to my FK8.
What trim do you have? If it’s the Bose system you probably don’t need to upgrade

View attachment 4764
View attachment 4765
Dayum, that's like what I was describing but a lot nicer looking

Is that a custom enclosure for the Kicker driver?

But yeah. I'm sure this would improve the bass response for those deeper notes that are missing from the 8" driver, but relative to the cost/effort involved I'm thinking it's not worth it to me for the marginal gain

I'm not entering any car audio competitions or anything, LOL

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did this to my FK8.
What trim do you have? If it’s the Bose system you probably don’t need to upgrade

View attachment 4764
View attachment 4765
Yeah that's what I'm looking to do. Thats a dope setup. I have the sport touring hatchback. I'm coming from a Mercedes that had a burmeister system LOL The bose sounds decent, but I think it needs a little more bass

I just wanted to know if its possible to fit a decent sub in that space, looks like it is possible

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had given thought to this, and decided I wasn't going to go this route after hearing it

My plan was to leave the cabin speakers as they are (since they are tuned to work with the Bose amplifier and processor and actually have decent power/sound), but to remove the spare tire and put something like this in its place, using the 10" driver of your choice:

Where the "indentation space" at the top would allow a good, small mono amp like the Alpine R-A75M to be attached for a clean install, redirecting the line from the (disabled) stock Bose sub to this
Yeah I don't want to remove the spare, my last car was no spare with runflats and I just never felt comfortable with that

I don't want to rebuild the whole audio, just see if I can stuff a better sub into the factory location

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah I don't want to remove the spare, my last car was no spare with runflats and I just never felt comfortable with that

I don't want to rebuild the whole audio, just see if I can stuff a better sub into the factory location
The problem will be the enclosure. It's custom built to house whatever Bose driver is in there.

I am not sure you can just pop out that driver and put in another one, but even if you did, it couldn't be any larger than 8", because to go from a 8" to 10" driver, even a "shallow mount" type with minimal volume requirements, usually requires something like 65% more volume.

You'll have to make a custom one, or get one made. Which will "fit" into the same corner, but stick out further into the trunk.

True story: years ago, I got frustrated with the lack of such a custom enclosure for my 2008 Acura MDX and having a big Kicker box rolling around in the back. The closest I could find was a "magic box" enclosure from Wicked CAS (see below), but it was specific to the 01-06 model years.

I contacted them to ask if/when they'd ever add one for the next gen MDX (this was in like 2011 or 2012), and they said they'd love to, but didn't have one handy to take a mold for the fiberglass enclosure.

So I volunteered my car. I drove my Acura MDX up to them and left it with them for four days in New Hampshire during a long weekend trip from NY to Boston. (In a complicated way, I pulled a trailer with a motorcycle on it, rode the motorcycle back to Boston after dropping the MDX off and then back up to NH after four days, then re-trailered the bike to drive home to NY)

A few months later, they'd added the 07-13 MDX to their line of "magic box enclosures" and I got one for their $370 or whatever list price, versus the cost of actually having someone make a custom mold just for me.

So hey. Maybe you can do the same!

·
Registered
79 Posts
You'll have to make a custom one, or get one made. Which will "fit" into the same corner, but stick out further into the trunk.
Yeah these cars are still new. Maybe I'll look into a custom enclosure. Adding a 10" sealed shouldn't impact my cargo space that much. I'll have to figure out where to mount the amps though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah these cars are still new. Maybe I'll look into a custom enclosure. Adding a 10" sealed shouldn't impact my cargo space that much. I'll have to figure out where to mount the amps though.
Well, if you do "find a guy" who makes a mold for a custom enclosure to house a 10" sub driver to swap in for the Bose one in the 11th gen ST hatchback, with good results, be sure to post it here because there would probably be takers like me once the cost of customization is absorbed/spread out

As for where the amp would go (why would you need more than one... With the right mono amp you shouldn't need an inline sound processor, I'd think), maybe that depends on where the factory amp it'd have to connect up is located. My first suggestion would be under the passenger seat in the cabin (where more than one of my aftermarket amps have been placed).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, if you do "find a guy" who makes a mold for a custom enclosure to house a 10" sub driver to swap in for the Bose one in the 11th gen ST hatchback, with good results, be sure to post it here because there would probably be takers like me once the cost of customization is absorbed/spread out

As for where the amp would go (why would you need more than one... With the right mono amp you shouldn't need an inline sound processor, I'd think), maybe that depends on where the factory amp it'd have to connect up is located. My first suggestion would be under the passenger seat in the cabin (where more than one of my aftermarket amps have been placed).
Yeah by "amps" I was thinking a processor and amp, but if I can get away with a single amp then that's what I'll do. If I can fit one under a seat that'll be my first choice. But doesn't look like there's a lot of room there since I have power seats.

I'm in southern California so there are lots of shops here that will do custom enclosures. Not sure if any of them would be willing to make a mold for production though. But of course I'll ask

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah by "amps" I was thinking a processor and amp, but if I can get away with a single amp then that's what I'll do. If I can fit one under a seat that'll be my first choice. But doesn't look like there's a lot of room there since I have power seats.

I'm in southern California so there are lots of shops here that will do custom enclosures. Not sure if any of them would be willing to make a mold for production though. But of course I'll ask
Or maybe ask about the cost of a custom enclosure, then mention "I know at least N people who are interested in the same enclosure, group discount pls" and come back and recruit

Personally I am fine with ditching the spare tire, I can't remember the last time I put on a spare on my car at the roadside. Not once in 30 years of driving. I've helped strangers do it twice, but not had to do it myself (my wife could/probably should have once, but instead drove on a flat for a few miles to a garage instead).

Meanwhile I've used the "fix-a-flat" goo, the tire plug and Slime stuff, to fix flat tires in my motorcycle in an emergency like three times in 15 years. The stuff works great and takes up very little space as emergency gear. I would have no problem using it for my car if I had to.

And that means I get to use the wheel well space for emergency supplies I'd actually potentially use and leave the hatch space completely clear for cargo: the jack, the Slime stuff, flares, 12V air compressor, flashlight, medical kit, quart of oil, engine coolant and brake fluid, etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Or maybe ask about the cost of a custom enclosure, then mention "I know at least N people who are interested in the same enclosure, group discount pls" and come back and recruit

Personally I am fine with ditching the spare tire, I can't remember the last time I put on a spare on my car at the roadside. Not once in 30 years of driving. I've helped strangers do it twice, but not had to do it myself (my wife could/probably should have once, but instead drove on a flat for a few miles to a garage instead).

Meanwhile I've used the "fix-a-flat" goo, the tire plug and Slime stuff, to fix flat tires in my motorcycle in an emergency like three times in 15 years. The stuff works great and takes up very little space as emergency gear. I would have no problem using it for my car if I had to.

And that means I get to use the wheel well space for emergency supplies I'd actually potentially use and leave the hatch space completely clear for cargo: the jack, the Slime stuff, flares, 12V air compressor, flashlight, medical kit, quart of oil, engine coolant and brake fluid, etc.
I'm frequently in remote areas where it would absolutely suck to have a flat and no spare. I tolerated the runflats in my last car, but thankfully didn't have a chance to test them lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm frequently in remote areas where it would absolutely suck to have a flat and no spare. I tolerated the runflats in my last car, but thankfully didn't have a chance to test them lol
I hear you, I'm just saying that the Slime based "fix a flat" things do work well, and is faster to use than jacking up the car, unlocking and cracking the wheel nuts, removing the flat tire, clearing the trunk out to pull out the spare, mounting and attaching the spare, lifting the flat tire with its wheel into the trunk (where it won't really fit into the spare's well, I don't think?), re-loading all the stuff back into the trunk...

And the 12V air compressor in the trunk means never having to find a service station, and possibly paying $1 per five minutes or whatever, for air to fill your tires.

Like, even if I had no reason to remove the spare tire to use the well for storage, I'd still carry Slime and the air compressor in the car. This just makes it a no-brainer for me as to where to put it.

The scenario where the spare would save you but Slime could not would be some huge slash type damage to the tire instead of a puncture, or something bad enough to pull the tire off the rim. Then yes, having a full-on spare tire would win. But that's when my cell phone and a call to emergency roadside service would come in...

...for the first time in 30+ years (for that reason)...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah that's what I'm looking to do. Thats a dope setup. I have the sport touring hatchback. I'm coming from a Mercedes that had a burmeister system LOL The bose sounds decent, but I think it needs a little more bass

I just wanted to know if its possible to fit a decent sub in that space, looks like it is possible
What about putting another sub on the other side of the trunk liner..opposite of the right?

·
Registered
203 Posts
What about putting another sub on the other side of the trunk liner..opposite of the right?
Well, not only would you need a custom enclosure built, if it were to match the size of the one on the right it'd also only be big enough to house an 8" driver. And two 8" drivers will increase the max volume (loudness) but not the frequency range (how low the sounds reproduced can go).

There is no substitute for a larger driver in a larger enclosure to reach the deep bass notes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts