11th Gen Civic Forum banner

Touring Model: Do you use Built-in GPS satellite navigation or (Apple CarPlay\Android Auto)?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Touring (Rallye Red)
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wireless data is used when a smartphone is connected to the automotive head unit via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Otherwise, using the Built-in GPS Satellite Navigation is the other option for those 11th Generation Civic owners who have the Touring model.

Just curious to know which one do you use most often.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I might try the built-in navigation sometime just to see how it is but I've been plenty happy with Apple Maps over CarPlay thus far. I like how next-turn information is integrated into the dash on the Touring trim when using Apple Maps as well. Feels like a first-class experience.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Touring (Rallye Red)
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might try the built-in navigation sometime just to see how it is but I've been plenty happy with Apple Maps over CarPlay thus far. I like how next-turn information is integrated into the dash on the Touring trim when using Apple Maps as well. Feels like a first-class experience.
Yeah, I haven't really used either yet since I've owned my Civic Touring for less than a week.. I haven't traveled too far from the city to really need to use Google Maps or the Built-in Navigation system. When I had a 2019 Civic EX, the turn by turn voice announcements was very helpful to navigate streets I wasn't familiar with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm with freedom, and got enough data on my phone, 20gb (gets me through a month with 10-15gb to spare) to run Android Auto and using the Waze app. I find its a better mapping system compared to other mapping apps like googlemaps because the info is more practical and useful. For example, it tells me accidents ahead, police locations, red light cameras, speed cameras, and even warns me for potential debree or potholes on the ground etc.

The built-in Honda GPS is really good as well for point A to B driving. Great UI and graphics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm with freedom, and got enough data on my phone, 20gb (gets me through a month with 10-15gb to spare) to run Android Auto and using the Waze app. I find its a better mapping system compared to other mapping apps like googlemaps because the info is more practical and useful. For example, it tells me accidents ahead, police locations, red light cameras, speed cameras, and even warns me for potential debree or potholes on the ground etc.

The built-in Honda GPS is really good as well for point A to B driving. Great UI and graphics.
Just so you know Google owns Waze and they share data, it's just that Waze talks to you more and has a social experience.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just so you know Google owns Waze and they share data, it's just that Waze talks to you more and has a social experience.
Yepper. I personally find Waze too busy. I used the built in Nav yesterday on my way home from work because there was an accident. I didn't try to find an alt route or anything but it was spot on with the length of the traffic.
I'll give the built in a shot next time I don't know where I'm going to see how it does. I paid for it after all...

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Hatchback ST
320 Posts
I use the built in navigation in dark mode. That’s the screen I always keep on when I’m driving as well.

I don’t have a problem with Google maps but with CarPlay, there is a lot of wasted screen space that could be used for a larger map.

Volkswagen actually has the best implementation where all of the menu items move off the screen until it detects your hand is close.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Hatchback
26 Posts
This is my first time having factory navigation since my 2008 Accord EX-L and it's nice being able to switch between using factory and CarPlay maps. With that being said I prefer using Google Maps with my iPhone as it's always being updated and it always selects the best routes to take while traveling.

·
Registered
22 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
30 Posts
I have unlimited data so I use Google Maps via CarPlay. No particular reason other than I’ve always used Google, so it’s something I’m familiar with and used to. This is the first car I’ve had with built in navigation, so I should give it a shot to see what it’s like. I think another reason I use Google is because I prefer to search for locations on my phone where I can easily type and search rather than on a car screen.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Google maps, because it can retrieve the searches I did on my computer and has convenient sound on/off button. I switch to Waze on long interstate stretches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wireless data is used when a smartphone is connected to the automotive head unit via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Otherwise, using the Built-in GPS Satellite Navigation is the other option for those 11th Generation Civic owners who have the Touring model.

Just curious to know which one do you use most often.
I use the on board GPS. I use android so I like it alot better than Google maps.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic ST Sonic Gray Pearl
152 Posts
I always have waze up even if I don't need directions. I like knowing where the police, accidents, and road hazards are. btw, the road hazards warnings have saved me multiple times from running into a ladder or blown truck tire on the road.

They share data true, but waze uses crowdsourcing differently than google. In my truck, I use a tablet and I have both waze and google up at the same time. I have google set to a male voice and waze set to female so I know where the warning is coming from. They definitely do not display the same warnings. They frequently disagree with each other and waze is clearly more accurate.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I usually use Waze during my commute for the safety warnings - Cars stopped on the shoulder / Objects on the road / potholes / unexpected heavy traffic like @OsidePunker said. I've used the onboard a few times just so I know how it works.

There are still areas around where there isn't a cell phone signal. I didn't get the ST for the Nav but I like having it as a backup option whre the cellular signal is overly weak or non existant.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback Boost Blue
62 Posts
In my past cars I use carplay for maps unless I have no signal and im in the middle of no where then the built in nav comes in clutch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts