11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn in making selection for 22 Civic Hatch

I would like to enjoy the a car and also have solid resale; I sell car every three year putting about 15000 miles total. In the old models, it was all 1.5 so the selection was mainly amenity based.

As I did not care much about leather and moonroof, I easily had before the LX with black cloth and black headliners. Also, I know people mostly preferred the sport even car reviewwere for the EX and Touring.

Now with the two engine and trim configurations … LX has 2.0 NA, all black cloth, and grey headliners; the Sport has same engine but with leather steering and shift knob, black cloth, black headliners, and 18 wheels; the EXL has 1.5 Turbo with the grey leather (prefer over black), grey headliner, 17 wheels, and blind monitoring; and Sport Touring has 1.5 Turbi with the grey leather (prefer over black), black headliner, double exhaust, fully digital display, larger infotainment, and navigation.

So, I am torn between LX (optimal for me do not like the black cloth), EXL (feel if I go that level, why not go touring abs get everything) and Touring (hate the black headliner) With my criteria, can you help me select the optimal trim?

Also, aside of me, can you please advise which trim in your opinion will be most targeted by people and also holding value?

sorry for the long post and thanks

·
Registered
2013 BMW 128i
5 Posts
Hey Sam, lots of personal choice in this decision. I drove the sedan in Sport and Sport Touring trim. The 1.5 is a much more satisfying drivetrain for me. I didn't like the 18" wheels though, I thought they were too noisy.
I think the EX-L would be optimal for me. (I like the grey interior too.) Unless you want the 6MT. I didn't drive it, but from my personal experience I think the 2.0 NA would be ok with the 6MT.
In terms of holding value, my general rule is that more expensive cars lose value quicker. But most all the rules are out the window in our current CRAZY car market.
Good luck! I bet you enjoy whichever you end up with.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Sam79.
Did you get a chance to check out those trims on the sedan model in person? That experience could help you decide.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Sam, lots of personal choice in this decision. I drove the sedan in Sport and Sport Touring trim. The 1.5 is a much more satisfying drivetrain for me. I didn't like the 18" wheels though, I thought they were too noisy.
I think the EX-L would be optimal for me. (I like the grey interior too.) Unless you want the 6MT. I didn't drive it, but from my personal experience I think the 2.0 NA would be ok with the 6MT.
In terms of holding value, my general rule is that more expensive cars lose value quicker. But most all the rules are out the window in our current CRAZY car market.
Good luck! I bet you enjoy whichever you end up with.
Thanks for the insights much

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum @Sam79.
Did you get a chance to check out those trims on the sedan model in person? That experience could help you decide.
In this market, the cars are not available and you need to reserve so have to take a blind decision for now. Then try the car and if it comes and I do not like the drive, I just switch trims and wait more or be lucky that it is there lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insights much
But assuming that the 18 does not annoy me, is it worth to go up to touring from exl? Are the additions of wireless charging and car okay as well as large display and totally digital with double diffuser and the cross alert more valuable than the lighter grey headliner? Being that the touring is the sporty version, will thus give it edge with resale for sporty lovers compared to exl? I ask too much sorry

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT
319 Posts
Per your criteria I'd say the EX-L sounds like the best bang for the buck; it is too bad they no longer offer the Sport trim with the 1.5T, that used to be the obvious choice.

The other advantage of the EX-L is that is has the best fuel economy of any 2022 Civic HB trim, as it has the smaller 1.5T engine and 17 (not 18) inch wheels, which may also help its acceleration too.

This is going to be a bad time (financially) to buy a new car though; you are definitely buying at a peak point in the market (high demand / low supply).

You're not likely to get a discount from MSRP (which for a car like the Civic, is already like "paying more than you expected"). And depending on region, you may find it hard to avoid a further "market adjustment" markup on top of MSRP for the next few months.

Which when the market goes back to normal (in the 3 years' time you mentioned), that would just be lost money because people will be comparing the used car price with "how much I'd spend on a new one now" (not "a new one three years ago when things were nuts").

If you're buying new now, it should either be because you HAVE to get a new car for some reason, or are willing to accept the surcharge for getting the 11th gen NOW (or within the next few months).

I personally fall into the latter camp, but that's because I typically keep my cars for at least 7 years, if not 10-15 years.

Otherwise, wait out the "shortage" if you can, though that could well take at least another 12-18 months to peter out.

Note that shortage or not, I'm sure the Civic market will cool off around next May when more of these are produced and available at dealer lots. I expect there will still be nothing under MSRP around me, but some of those "market adjustment" figures that are upwards of $2500 or $3000 (?!) are squeezing people who want to be in one of the first ones on the street.

Personally, for a variety of reasons, I pulled the trigger anyway (at a high "pre-order" markup) figuring it was worth a likely difference of around $1000-1500 to me to roll in one by November versus next summer. But that's the kind of analysis you should be doing, and be comfortable with the numbers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Per your criteria I'd say the EX-L sounds like the best bang for the buck; it is too bad they no longer offer the Sport trim with the 1.5T, that used to be the obvious choice.

The other advantage of the EX-L is that is has the best fuel economy of any 2022 Civic HB trim, as it has the smaller 1.5T engine and 17 (not 18) inch wheels, which may also help its acceleration too.

This is going to be a bad time (financially) to buy a new car though; you are definitely buying at a peak point in the market (high demand / low supply).

You're not likely to get a discount from MSRP (which for a car like the Civic, is already like "paying more than you expected"). And depending on region, you may find it hard to avoid a further "market adjustment" markup on top of MSRP for the next few months.

Which when the market goes back to normal (in the 3 years' time you mentioned), that would just be lost money because people will be comparing the used car price with "how much I'd spend on a new one now" (not "a new one three years ago when things were nuts").

If you're buying new now, it should either be because you HAVE to get a new car for some reason, or are willing to accept the surcharge for getting the 11th gen NOW (or within the next few months).

I personally fall into the latter camp, but that's because I typically keep my cars for at least 7 years, if not 10-15 years.

Otherwise, wait out the "shortage" if you can, though that could well take at least another 12-18 months to peter out.

Note that shortage or not, I'm sure the Civic market will cool off around next May when more of these are produced and available at dealer lots. I expect there will still be nothing under MSRP around me, but some of those "market adjustment" figures that are upwards of $2500 or $3000 (?!) are squeezing people who want to be in one of the first ones on the street.

Personally, for a variety of reasons, I pulled the trigger anyway (at a high "pre-order" markup) figuring it was worth a likely difference of around $1000-1500 to me to roll in one by November versus next summer. But that's the kind of analysis you should be doing, and be comfortable with the numbers.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

For the purchase timing, in my situation, I have a car that I am trading and getting for it a brand new price (if not more). Thus, while the new is not discounted as usual (no overprice here so Ia m lucky), it just evens out

I agree in the previous generation, the sport was the most popular. Would you be against the sport touring? Would the sport touring be the new sprt in the new generation? Is the lighter color of the headliner in the EXL can be the good reason for just getting that? will the dark headliner in the touring be good reason to not have it? Are the wireless charging and carplay or built in navigation be real plus for customers of a honda (or only for premoim cars like lexus, bmw, and mercedes)?

Sorry for the too many questions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Is the ride really bad between exl 17 inch and touring 18 inch?
The MPG is still closer between all, even if higher on exl ... right?

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT
319 Posts
Is the ride really bad between exl 17 inch and touring 18 inch?
The MPG is still closer between all, even if higher on exl ... right?
I hope it's not "bad" going to 18" wheels, LOL, I am getting the sport touring after all :)

I'm just saying that if you're looking for reasons to to EX-L instead of ST, that what the ST adds is not particularly tempting, then that's another one in the potential plus column

If the EX-L came in a 6MT or if I were getting a HB with a CVT, I'd opt for the EX-L and eventually upgrade the audio with aftermarket speakers/amp (which wouldn't need to happen right away)

But I was willing to pay more for the manual trans and the 1.5T engine; the larger 9" screen / wireless CarPlay / wireless charging / premium factory audio were all varying degrees of "nice to haves"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Purchased my 2022 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring today. Only drove it about 12 miles coming home from dealer. The ride with the 18 inch wheels was good. I do have to check the air pressure and I will do so in the morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts