11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who thinks the rear camera on the Civic is horrendous? Coming from a recent Toyota that had an excellent rear camera, this one in the Civic is massively distorted (it makes my two car garage look like a one car garage). I've tried both the rear views and they are both really bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah it’s a low quality camera for sure. They put such a nice screen in there, I don’t know why they went cheap on the backup cam, pretty disappointing honestly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why not just purchase a dash cam that comes with rear camera also? Could come in handy for accident/insurance disputes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah that’s an option, I just like the factory look personally that’s all.
Well I have my rear camera that came with the dash cam mounted at the top inside of my rear window. With the tint you can't even see it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I have my rear camera that came with the dash cam mounted at the top inside of my rear window. With the tint you can't even see it.
Ah, I was referring to having an additional screen on the dash not so much another camera on the back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why not just purchase a dash cam that comes with rear camera also? Could come in handy for accident/insurance disputes.
Two completely different purposes. Dash cams are awesome, and was the first mod I did to my car. Everyone should have one to be honest. However they don't replace a backup camera which lets the driver see things they easily see while backing up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Two completely different purposes. Dash cams are awesome, and was the first mod I did to my car. Everyone should have one to be honest. However they don't replace a backup camera which lets the driver see things they easily see while backing up.
I can actually see more of what's behind me at a much higher resolution than the OEM camera although I don't use it in that manner. If I wanted to I could easily wire it to come on anytime the car is in reverse.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can actually see more of what's behind me at a much higher resolution than the OEM camera although I don't use it in that manner. If I wanted to I could easily wire it to come on anytime the car is in reverse.
Generally a dash cam has such a wide field of view that using it to backup, especially to get close to things, would be much harder. I suppose we can get used to anything, so it might still be better than what the car has now; but most the dash cams are close to 180º field of view, and I think most the reverse cameras are much narrower, 100-120º if I had to guess (I'm far from an expert, so I'm totally just guessing).

That said if you do decide to wire it into the reverse, I'm interested in how it goes. Could be a pretty slick mod.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We love almost everything about the new '22 Civic except the rearview camera. It is not only that the camera is lousy quality by the accuracy of it is awful. I feel like the line indicators are off by at least 10 inches. I have a 2019 accord and the grid lines almost exactly match where the car is. Anyone think this is a software issue for the accuracy part?

·
Registered
89 Posts
There's definitely a lot of distortion and poor image quality on the rearview camera but I don't think it's an issue - it's meant for reference and is used for how long? 15 seconds at a time?

·
Registered
89 Posts
We love almost everything about the new '22 Civic except the rearview camera. It is not only that the camera is lousy quality by the accuracy of it is awful. I feel like the line indicators are off by at least 10 inches. I have a 2019 accord and the grid lines almost exactly match where the car is. Anyone think this is a software issue for the accuracy part?
I've set out some markers while checking the rear camera lines. The left and right lines match the outside of the side mirrors. Then you have 36", 24", and 18" indicators to the bumper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's definitely a lot of distortion and poor image quality on the rearview camera but I don't think it's an issue - it's meant for reference and is used for how long? 15 seconds at a time?
Agree here. I'm a photographer and the camera is definitely lacking, but it's just fine for its purpose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any recommendation for a dash cam? Pictures of it installed?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts