11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this car after one short test-drive, I was drawn to it many positive video reviews that all talked about the fun factor of the car.

This is my daily driver. I've owned it for about 3 weeks now. I can't believe how satisfying it is driving this car, the fun factor of the entire package is huge. I had a Honda S2000 for nine years as a garage queen weekend fun car, but I am finding this car just as rewarding when I consider the entire setup.

I don't regard this car as being overly fast, but it is so enjoyable to drive. The performance numbers aren't outstanding, but they don't tell the entire story. The balance of power, handling, powertrain (engine/tranny/shifter/LSD), comfort, tech, safety, and fuel efficiency, is outstanding, it over-achieves on every level. I really have no desire to modify this car despite modifying cars for 30+ years, so it is quite the change for me.

Any one else feeling the same way about their Si ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree!
Like you I have owned and driven much faster cars, but the Si is just a smile machine.

I think a lot of car people get so focused on performance and cool factor that they forget that a car is also the second largest financial commitment most people will make. A car is also something you have to live with, whether you're commuting, running errands, going on a road trip, or just parking in a sketchy neighborhood.

Put all that together and you realize that although you might be able to afford a really cool car like a new BMW M4, you soon realize that you could have put that extra money into investments, and you always worry about it getting dings in the supermarket parking lot. You also realize that driving a 450hp car to the grocery store isn't really any more fun than driving a 200hp car like the Civic. You realize you need to take it easy on the gas pedal because those 295/30/19 rear Michelins are going to bankrupt you. And on and on.

Point is some cars are built for magazine headlines or viral Instagram photos and some are built for owning and enjoying every single day. Put another way, a fast, cool, expensive, car often ends up owning you more than you own it.

The Civic Si is still a Civic, but with a big helping of fun on top.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought this car after one short test-drive, I was drawn to it many positive video reviews that all talked about the fun factor of the car.

This is my daily driver. I've owned it for about 3 weeks now. I can't believe how satisfying it is driving this car, the fun factor of the entire package is huge. I had a Honda S2000 for nine years as a garage queen weekend fun car, but I am finding this car just as rewarding when I consider the entire setup.

I don't regard this car as being overly fast, but it is so enjoyable to drive. The performance numbers aren't outstanding, but they don't tell the entire story. The balance of power, handling, powertrain (engine/tranny/shifter/LSD), comfort, tech, safety, and fuel efficiency, is outstanding, it over-achieves on every level. I really have no desire to modify this car despite modifying cars for 30+ years, so it is quite the change for me.

I totally agree with your post. It's not about the power and the numbers. There is an "un-quantifiable" fun factor to this car. One of my coworkers just bought a used Focus ST. Lots more power and torque than my new Si. He let me drive it and let me tell you, the power delivery is all over the place. The front wheels skate around when you roll on the throttle. Almost scary to drive. The 2022 Si's power delivery is very predictable and it's just a flat out fun car to drive!

·
Registered
47 Posts

I agree with everything you say. I bought mine on December 22nd and have driven it as a daily including a 1300 mile road trip. This car has exceeded my expectations in every category. A smile with every mile. See my review of this car at www.carcamerastory.com.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with everything you say. I bought mine on December 22nd and have driven it as a daily including a 1300 mile road trip. This car has exceeded my expectations in every category. A smile with every mile. See my review of this car at www.carcamerastory.com.
Did you use cruise control or adaptive cruise on your Florida trip ? Did it work properly or any reported issues with it as others have reported ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did you use cruise control or adaptive cruise on your Florida trip ? Did it work properly or any reported issues with it as others have reported ?
I used the adaptive cruise some of the time. It worked perfectly with no issues. I found that setting it on the medium setting for distance works well for expressway speeds. The system is very sensitive and at the long distance setting it would slow the car down too soon. The system at that setting picked up a slower car in front what seemed like a football field away. Easy to change the setting. I didn’t run on cruise for extended periods only because the engine was still in break in and I wanted to keep varying the engine rpm more often. I have the same system on my ‘21 Accord Sport and it’s very similar. I do think it’s a little more sensitive picking up cars in front of you on the Si.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the adaptive cruise some of the time. It worked perfectly with no issues. I found that setting it on the medium setting for distance works well for expressway speeds. The system is very sensitive and at the long distance setting it would slow the car down too soon. The system at that setting picked up a slower car in front what seemed like a football field away. Easy to change the setting. I didn’t run on cruise for extended periods only because the engine was still in break in and I wanted to keep varying the engine rpm more often. I have the same system on my ‘21 Accord Sport and it’s very similar. I do think it’s a little more sensitive picking up cars in front of you on the Si.
Thanks for that info, I also prefer the middle setting myself. The short setting can be a bit jerky accelerating and slowing down and less room to change lanes for passing . Good to hear of your experience with cruise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree 100% with you, the numbers don't tell the story until you are behind the wheel of this car. This car is just as fun to drive as any car out there regardless of the power. I own a 500+ rwhp sports car as a second car and this car is just as fun to drive, obviously its not the roller coaster that the other car is on a straight line, but the power, balance and handling of the new Si is outstanding. Honda did an amazing job with the new 11th gen Si for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I'm feeling similar ways to you. Although, I really want to put my 200tw autocross tires on it. The chassis is begging for more grip, but alas Its snowing out. Bring on the spring time.

·
Registered
2009 civic
12 Posts
I agree!
Like you I have owned and driven much faster cars, but the Si is just a smile machine.

I think a lot of car people get so focused on performance and cool factor that they forget that a car is also the second largest financial commitment most people will make. A car is also something you have to live with, whether you're commuting, running errands, going on a road trip, or just parking in a sketchy neighborhood.

Put all that together and you realize that although you might be able to afford a really cool car like a new BMW M4, you soon realize that you could have put that extra money into investments, and you always worry about it getting dings in the supermarket parking lot. You also realize that driving a 450hp car to the grocery store isn't really any more fun than driving a 200hp car like the Civic. You realize you need to take it easy on the gas pedal because those 295/30/19 rear Michelins are going to bankrupt you. And on and on.

Point is some cars are built for magazine headlines or viral Instagram photos and some are built for owning and enjoying every single day. Put another way, a fast, cool, expensive, car often ends up owning you more than you own it.

The Civic Si is still a Civic, but with a big helping of fun on top.
Exactly, I'm looking to get a Si or Touring manual 2022. I have a 2009 manual civic. I have more fun on this old civic than I do on a automatic dodge charger. Why? because I can abuse the civic, and it keeps on kicking like no other and the best part is - it never drains my gasoline. $60 and I get a full tank in canada. Meanwhile the dodge charger everytime I accelerate its like $5 down the drain on that boost - the point I'm hesitant to drive it or else its $100 gone by end of the trip. Meanwhile I get the same fun factor on the old beater civic manual - and I can only imagine how much 180hp or 200hp 2022 manual must be in this era - and I can abuse the civic every single day without worry.

·
Registered
2009 civic
12 Posts
Does Touring trim manual have adaptive cruise control and launch control? Or only Si/

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does Touring trim manual have adaptive cruise control and launch control? Or only Si/
Adaptive cruise yes. I've never seen launch control on the new Civic, just traction control, and the Si benefits from a helical LSD.

·
Registered
2022 Si, 2003 Si
22 Posts
Also agree with you! I've had everything from first to last gen miatas, 4 and 8 cylinder mustangs, a Z4, a TSX, and Ford Flex with a tune. While I may miss the complete reassurance that I could pass any vehicle on the highway in stupid quick time (460 hp mustang), I think the fun factor in this car AND the practicality of the sedan makes it something special.
To be honest I would have kept my 2016 miata had the seats not completely destroyed my back (this was before they came with Recaros as an option) and the impractical trunk was as tiny as an Italian car's "frunk" space. (I still regret selling my 1990 miata, as it was stupid fun to drive, and of course had the top-down factor.)
But I keep telling everyone how I don't regret trading in my V8 mustang for this 4-banger...and it's true! Rowing through the gears, feeling the spriteness of the car as I make turns or other maneuvers...it's simple, joyful, pure FUN! I look forward to going to work and coming home...all while getting double the fuel economy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts