11th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matt Farah took the new TLX Type S out on Laguna Seca and had nothing but high praise for the car. Hopefully this is a good sign for the upcoming Civic Si and Type R.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm really excited about this car and I like the exterior A LOT. Also excited about the V6 engine. However, the interior, especially the central panel, and the paddle shifter were kind of a deal-breaker for me. I feel the central console looks too busy for me and I enjoy how engaged I am when driving a manual car.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Overall it seems to be a really solid car. Though Motor Trend hints that the TLX could've benefitted from some more power due its increase in weight.

After six laps on the track, we left the driver's seat with a smile. But if there was anything that we would have wanted, it was more power. The engine delivers its power in a quick and linear fashion, but we still walked away feeling like the Type S could take more. Despite driving in Sport+—a drive mode that's only available in the Type S—and leaving the transmission in Sport to give full control to the paddle shifters, the Type S could have used more punchiness. The power-to-weight ratio hurts the Type S, as it carries more weight due to its larger size.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
99 Posts
Overall it seems to be a really solid car. Though Motor Trend hints that the TLX could've benefitted from some more power due its increase in weight.
Weight is the TLX's biggest flaw hands down... more evident in the 2.0T being slower than an Accord 2.0T. I also feel like Acura, if they really want to lean into this performance brand niche, should work on Type R variants eventually. If the base TLX competes in the same arena as an A4, and the Type S competes with the S4, then there is room to compete with the RS4. They could tweak the new V6, give it twin turbo power (or even add some sort of electrification a'la NSX tech) and really bring something crazy to the table. Whether or not they will, we will have to see. At this point Acura is still trying to pull itself back from the ledge it almost went over and rebuild their image.

My biggest fear for the new ILX replacement is that it'll be so heavy, despite probably using the same powertrain as the civic Si, it'll be slower than a normal 1.5T civic because of all the extra mass. That hardly speaks performance brand to me.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Weight is the TLX's biggest flaw hands down... more evident in the 2.0T being slower than an Accord 2.0T. I also feel like Acura, if they really want to lean into this performance brand niche, should work on Type R variants eventually. If the base TLX competes in the same arena as an A4, and the Type S competes with the S4, then there is room to compete with the RS4. They could tweak the new V6, give it twin turbo power (or even add some sort of electrification a'la NSX tech) and really bring something crazy to the table. Whether or not they will, we will have to see. At this point Acura is still trying to pull itself back from the ledge it almost went over and rebuild their image.

My biggest fear for the new ILX replacement is that it'll be so heavy, despite probably using the same powertrain as the civic Si, it'll be slower than a normal 1.5T civic because of all the extra mass. That hardly speaks performance brand to me.
One thing about the ILX Type S that I want to experience is the transmission. I'm sure it works great but using paddle shifters for a 10-speed transmission seems a bit too much for the kind of driving you'd want to do with it.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
99 Posts
One thing about the ILX Type S that I want to experience is the transmission. I'm sure it works great but using paddle shifters for a 10-speed transmission seems a bit too much for the kind of driving you'd want to do with it.
10 speeds is alot to have to shift through, and according to the C&D review of the TLX, they never felt the need to touch them because the transmission did a perfect job of handling things on its own. Thankfully Acura thought to make some revisions to the transmission so that it would shift faster and more logically.

I still wonder if they'll use the 10-speed for the ILX replacement (probably for the Type S as it will most likely have the 2.0T) and if they'll use it for the base version car as well or revise the current 8-Speed DCT.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10 speeds is alot to have to shift through, and according to the C&D review of the TLX, they never felt the need to touch them because the transmission did a perfect job of handling things on its own. Thankfully Acura thought to make some revisions to the transmission so that it would shift faster and more logically.

I still wonder if they'll use the 10-speed for the ILX replacement (probably for the Type S as it will most likely have the 2.0T) and if they'll use it for the base version car as well or revise the current 8-Speed DCT.
If I had to guess I'd say the 10-speed since it'd be easier for Acura/Honda. I think it's a great transmission for what Acura is trying to do with these Type S cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts