11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the ‘22 Civic FB group, I asked what range folks are seeing immediately after a fill-up, as I’ve gotten 300 the last two times. Tank size 12.4, so at fill-up it’s telling me I’m only going to average 24… which is exactly what I have been averaging, even though the sport is rated 31/37!
With my FB post asking folks what they’re seeing, those who’ve been getting poor MPGs as well are seeing 300 range at fill-up too, while those who’ve not experienced poor fuel efficiency/mpgs are seeing anywhere from 400-500 range at fill-up.

I’m sorry to keep harping on it, but this is even more, what I believe to be, evidence that there’s something going on/a defect with some of our civics and it’s not just a “you” thing… as in, we’re driving them roughly - I definitely am not, I’m driving it the same as I was with my ‘12 that got 40-ish MPGs consistently.
I wouldn’t be upset if I’d bought a car advertising fuel efficiency of 24 mpgs, I’d expect it - but from a brand new Honda stating 31/37, I expect efficiency within that range under typical driving circumstances/style.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What conditions are you driving in? I drive 99% highway I get 39mpg in my touring

I did a bunch of aggressive city driving and my mileage dropped to 30.
My elevation is about 750ft above sea level too. Mostly flat prairies. Depends on wind too.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sport
90 Posts
Assumingly you are perfectly braking, accelerating, not in stop-go and in steady flow highway speeds, PSI in tires if correct, the road is perfect, no wind opposing, straight lines/flat ground you will NOT get perfect MPG. All things vary the MPG a lot. Im still breaking in on my 1st tank and I've seen it go from 20MPG to 60+ MPG on AVG but im resting in the 26-28MPG range now on pretty much mostly city driving. I had a 2012 ford focus that got 30ish MPG but I didn't see a huge increase in MPG efficiency until around 10k miles. I'd just keep watching it and driving it, no 2 people are ever going to get the same MPG as we all drive differently and each car doesn't have identical PSI and conditions.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I’m 12k miles in and I’ve been averaging 35ish mpg mixed city and highway. On a recent 1k mile road trip at 70 mph I was averaging 46mpg.

If you’re just doing short trips around town and looking at trip by trip averages, you’re going to have poor results because the trips are too short to get a real idea on efficiency.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you drove all highway miles on your last fuel interval your estimated mileage on fill up would be much higher, so it estimates based on your past driving history. If you drove mostly city with lots of idling and remote starts , short trips etc then the estimated range on the next fill will be short. As you start to drive and if your average fuel economy starts to improve your estimated range will improve too, if your economy gets worse then the estimate will get even lower. It is just a best guess based on driving history and it makes adjustments on the fly.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you drove all highway miles on your last fuel interval hour estimated mileage on fill up would be much higher, so it estimates based on your past driving history. If you drove mostly city with lots of idling and remote starts , short trips etc then the estimated range on the next fill will be short. As you start to drive and if your average fuel economy starts to improve your estimated range will improve too, if your economy gets worse then the estimate will get even lower. It is just a best guess based on driving history and it makes adjustments on the fly.
I believe it takes into account the last 3 Trip A averages.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So in the ‘22 Civic FB group, I asked what range folks are seeing immediately after a fill-up, as I’ve gotten 300 the last two times. Tank size 12.4, so at fill-up it’s telling me I’m only going to average 24… which is exactly what I have been averaging, even though the sport is rated 31/37!
With my FB post asking folks what they’re seeing, those who’ve been getting poor MPGs as well are seeing 300 range at fill-up too, while those who’ve not experienced poor fuel efficiency/mpgs are seeing anywhere from 400-500 range at fill-up.

I’m sorry to keep harping on it, but this is even more, what I believe to be, evidence that there’s something going on/a defect with some of our civics and it’s not just a “you” thing… as in, we’re driving them roughly - I definitely am not, I’m driving it the same as I was with my ‘12 that got 40-ish MPGs consistently.
I wouldn’t be upset if I’d bought a car advertising fuel efficiency of 24 mpgs, I’d expect it - but from a brand new Honda stating 31/37, I expect efficiency within that range under typical driving circumstances/style.
Hey I’m having the same issue I bought my civic about 2 months ago and averaging roughly 230 miles on a full tank. Did your fuel economy get any better through out the months?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Well I highly doubt anyone is actually filling up 12.4 gallons everytime. Because when I get down to 1-2 bars it's like 10.2 gallons each time give or take some ounces.
So 300 mile tank is 30 mpg or 29.4 mpg.
Now there's several factors and I highly doubt everyone drives the exact same and or gets the exact 300 miles per fill.
Plus during winter mpg is horrible due to winter gas blend. Yes that's really a thing and yes you get crap mileage with it. But then again it's seems like everyone is far more concerned with the digital display like it's 1000000% accurate. Spoiler alert it isnt.
How much you fill up at the pump is far more accurate. Cuz if that's the case then everyone's car sucks and mines the best cuz I can make it say 199.99 mpg......🤣💀😂

·
Registered
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport MT
158 Posts
Before cars had mpg estimators I used to enjoy doing the math in my head right after a fill up: example: 379 miles driven (using the trip counter), and I filled 11.4 gallons, so about 33mpg. Good brain exercise and passes the time. :). Be sure to do the math to check the mpg.

also, I agree that winter gas, especially combined with winter tires, means much lower mpg.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Before cars had mpg estimators I used to enjoy doing the math in my head right after a fill up: example: 379 miles driven (using the trip counter), and I filled 11.4 gallons, so about 33mpg. Good brain exercise and passes the time. :). Be sure to do the math to check the mpg.

also, I agree that winter gas, especially combined with winter tires, means much lower mpg.
Nobody seems to get that. Almost 95% of people who complain just go off what the car says. The other 4.9% think gas is the same throughout the year and use the cars digital display 🤣😂💀

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Tank range is a moving target rarely reliable until you get near the end of the tank. Sometimes it will tell you the range can be 500 kms, then you drive 50 kms at highway speeds and it still reads 500 after that. It is basically useless until you get near empty.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I took my car to Miami so all highway driving and best I could get was 28mpg on economy mode.
My weekly 4-hour highway drive nets me 43 mpgs consistently, and it got as high as 47 mpg one time. This is driving 70 mph, light duty driving, but with winter tires and on winter fuel. When the hot weather arrives it is going to be even better, and my Si runs 2700 rpms at those speeds.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts