11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I continue to get the runaround on the Civic I ordered back in June with absolutely no prediction of when I will get it.

That got me looking again because I am again astounded how much a Honda Civic can cost (of course I did get the Touring, but still).

For $1,000 more, I can get a Subaru Forester Premium or Sport, which is almost an entirely different car. I like the civic hatchback because of it's utility factor and fuel efficiency for being a daily driver. I do a lot of outdoor stuff, hunting, camping, etc as well as house projects where I am constantly moving material. The Forester has AWD (I am in Michigan), more ground clearance, and more space (negligible with seats up but significant with seats down), roof rack, and more rugged overall. Granted, there would be certain luxuries it would not have from the Touring civic (leather, Bose, etc) and gets 4 mpg less.

I know this is a civic forum and you all have landed on the civic. Change my mind? Should I stick it through?

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT
506 Posts
Well it depends on what you want out of a car, obviously.

I've had a Subaru Forester, albeit from like 3 generations ago (2003), that I kept for 17 years - and my friend has the last gen one (2017), which is much larger and even slower (note: not the XT), but more roomy and more modern tech, and better fuel economy than my 2003 one by far.

Even the current Forester is not what I'd call "fun to drive". It's pleasant, sure. It is better in fuel economy than it used to be, but still not great (I'd get around 25 mpg in it, I think, versus 21-ish in my 2003 Forester). But it has AWD, is even more practical in the utility area, and more spacious than a Civic.

Basically, if "spacious" and "AWD" and "high clearance" were significant factors, if "outdoor activity and moving house project materials" are things you routinely need to do, ... IMHO you should not have been looking at a Civic at all (even the HB).

What the Civic offers, and why I chose it (with a street legal performance up-tune), are:

• A smaller footprint than CUVs (I street park in the city, wanted something 185" long, pref. 180", and 71" wide, max, pref. <= 70")
  • Still roomy for four people, even five with smaller people in the rear
  • Fun to drive (feels light/nimble, 7s or less 0-60 mph; more about passing power, like the 30-50 and 50-70 mph times)
  • Good fuel economy (I do 70% city driving, wanted something rated for ~33 mpg combined, which would be 30+ for me)

Seems like your wants/needs are the opposite. Except fuel economy, haha. Everybody wants that.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sport 2.Sloooow.....
88 Posts
If you want anything more than a basic commuter car, then go with the Forester. I bought my Civic because it's a way to get from point A to B and it's a dependable car I can hand down to my teenager in a couple years. If you are even having thoughts of off-road or other "utility" use, the Civic isn't for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have a 2017 forester 6 speed and have been really happy with it. It fits a lot of stuff, gets great milage (for what it is), and goes anywhere. It definitely seems like a better car for you based on what you want to do with it. I'm a new civic Si owner but we take the Forester pretty much everywhere that isn't around town. It fits a family of 4 and our XL dog, I also have a clamshell for the roof if were going on a long trip. I bought the Civic because I have to have something that is fun to drive, but also needed something practical/safe for two kids. I've got two older BMWs and one isn't convenient and the other isn't really "safe"

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Well I am one guy on the forums who loves his Hondas and loves his Subarus just as much. I've got a Civic now, and a 2019 WRX, with a 2022 WRX soon to arrive. I had an Impreza last year that I traded in for the Civic.

I had a Forester as a loaner last year and I loved the way it drove, it was a very nice vehicle if you want a SUV. It won't handle like the Civic, but it drives real nice, and you can't beat the Subaru AWD system in winter, they are so sure footed and fun to drive in winter, you will enjoy driving in snow. Subaru's hold their value extremely well. I am trading in my 3.5 year old WRX on a new WRX and the money they are paying me is crazy high, so it has cost me very little to drive it for 3.5 years and the dealer will like sell it for the same price that I paid for it. I've had no reliability issues with my Subarus. I think it is hard to compare a Civic to a Forester, both are good at what they do. The Civic will be more fuel efficient for sure, by a good amount.

My WRX has taken 6 months to arrive and is still about 2 weeks away getting here. They are just as hard to get as Civics, if not worse, but if you can find a Forester on a dealer lot then that is different than having to order one. Subaru has been harder hit than Honda in terms of supply chain issues. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT
506 Posts
We have a 2017 forester 6 speed and have been really happy with it. It fits a lot of stuff, gets great milage (for what it is), and goes anywhere. It definitely seems like a better car for you based on what you want to do with it. I'm a new civic Si owner but we take the Forester pretty much everywhere that isn't around town. It fits a family of 4 and our XL dog, I also have a clamshell for the roof if were going on a long trip. I bought the Civic because I have to have something that is fun to drive, but also needed something practical/safe for two kids. I've got two older BMWs and one isn't convenient and the other isn't really "safe"
Haha, that is one thing I wish I could go back in time and choose: instead of the XS trim of my 2003 Forester, to try the XT turbo version with a manual.

I didn't realize Foresters still came with six-speeds as recently as 2017! Thought they killed that long ago.

Of course the fuel economy would have been even worse, and wind noise in the door frame was a constant annoyance of that generation, but it sure would have been more fun!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Haha, that is one thing I wish I could go back in time and choose: instead of the XS trim of my 2003 Forester, to try the XT turbo version with a manual.

I didn't realize Foresters still came with six-speeds as recently as 2017! Thought they killed that long ago.

Of course the fuel economy would have been even worse, and wind noise in the door frame was a constant annoyance of that generation, but it sure would have been more fun!
I think 2018 was the last year for the manual. The CVT was particularly awful in the Forester that we test drive before buying the manual. It was however tough to come by even buying brand new, there were only two in a 300 mile radius. We get 24-26mpg around down 30 on the highway. Yes, wind/road noise is pretty bad in the Subaru, but to be honest it's pretty bad in the Si also at least at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sport 2.Sloooow.....
88 Posts
I think a better comparison would be the Crosstrek Limited. That would be about the same size and have many of the same features as the Touring. Also about the same horsepower plus AWD..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you all for helping me think through it. I have never owned an SUV and typically prefer cars- they are more fun and nimble but also I don't really drive cars like I used to. I do drive 20K miles per year. I am not a huge fan of the crosstrek even though it probably is more comparable (though less cargo space than the civic!).

I wish there were more good vehicles in this category. My wife has an '05 pontiac Vibe that I actually love. I really don't do anything off road other than a borderline two track road up north to get to a hunting area.

It's good to hear people like their Subarus

·
Registered
113 Posts
The Civic is going to be much better to drive and will get much better fuel economy. Also much nicer interior.

But in your case being an outdoorsy type in Michigan, the AWD and ground clearance of the Subaru really might suit you better.

I think 90%of people who buy Subarus don’t need the AWD and they are just wasting money on gas. But for some people a Subaru really makes sense. You just need be realistic about how you will use it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took delivery of my sport touring HB recently after having waited about 3 months for it. I had originally intended to buy a regular (non-touring) sport, but after watching 3,428 YouTube videos, decided to pony up for the touring trim. Best decision ever. I absolutely love driving this car -- it has the perfect combination of sportiness, practicality and refinement.

The first car I bought myself was a 1980 (Gen 2) Civic HB, which I also dearly loved. Civic, you've come a long way, Baby!

·
Registered
58 Posts
If I got a WRX it would be the fastest car I've ever owned. 😁 The same statement would hold true if I got an Si. My next car has to be a daily driver, and I want it to last a long time. But it would also be nice to have a car that's not just a utilitarian moving couch...and I think the 2.0 would end up being just that for me. The choice between an Si and a WRX is tough! 😊 I'm leaning towards a naturally aspirated car for longevity. I would install some aftermarket leather seat covers regardless of what I chose, though. I bought a 2002 Civic LX brand new out of necessity, and I never loved the car because it was a vehicle that I HAD to buy. Now that I'm older and have more money and options, the practical side of me says to get a 2.0 MT, but at the same time I'm thinking dude, spend money while you're still alive. 🤪

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If I got a WRX it would be the fastest car I've ever owned. 😁 The same statement would hold true if I got an Si. My next car has to be a daily driver, and I want it to last a long time. But it would also be nice to have a car that's not just a utilitarian moving couch...and I think the 2.0 would end up being just that for me. The choice between an Si and a WRX is tough! 😊 I'm leaning towards a naturally aspirated car for longevity. I would install some aftermarket leather seat covers regardless of what I chose, though. I bought a 2002 Civic LX brand new out of necessity, and I never loved the car because it was a vehicle that I HAD to buy. Now that I'm older and have more money and options, the practical side of me says to get a 2.0 MT, but at the same time I'm thinking dude, spend money while you're still alive. 🤪
I have one of each , the 22 Si and a 22 WRX coming (2019 WRX currently). I use both vehicles as daily drivers and I drive a lot for work, I pile the miles on both cars splitting the use between them.

The naturally aspirated 2L motor may last longer if you plan on keeping the car for 20 years. The turbo 1.5 is quite a bit more fuel efficient, I am always amazed how little fuel my Si uses on long highway trips that I drive each week. I think the power level of the 2 L motor would be a bit boring, I traded in my Subaru Impreza which had a similar power level compared to the 2 L Civic motor, it was okay but it needed a bit more power IMO, so the Si turbo motor was a nice boost in power, but no sacrifice in fuel efficiency. I spend a lot of time in my vehicles, so I appreciate the subtle differences in power but I also want fuel efficiency as our gas costs are stupid high here, the turbo 1.5 motor is a perfect balance. My WRX motor is surprisingly good on fuel as well, not as good as the Civic but pretty good for the power level it provides.

Spend the money while you are still alive, for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was looking at the GR86 and WRX, but ultimately went with the SI simply due to gas mileage (currently averaging 35-37mpg with a mix of local and highway). As much as I would love the extra power, I decided the Honda was just a better decision in the long-term and was an easy sell to the wife as a "Family" car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was generally looking at the same choices as you. I ended up with an Si but never got a chance to test drive the others because of the chip shortage. I am enjoying my Si. I had been waiting seven months on a hatchback sport with 6MT that was just a few days away from arriving when the dealer called to say someone backed out of their Si that had arrived the week before. I made the decision to buy the Si after driving to the dealer to check it out. My basic decision was exactly what you said - "dude, spend the money while you're still alive." However, when my hatchback kept getting delayed, I was seriously considering the WRX.because there were some in transit to a nearby dealer. I just wasn't sure about the WRX without driving it. It would have been nice to have been able to test drive all three (Si, Sport MT, and WRX) and then make a decision. I feel like I gave up some reliability passing over the 2,0 Sport MT and am sorry I never got to test drive it, but I am really enjoying the Si.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you driven the Forrester, and did you like how it drove? I know test drives in this market may be hard to get, but would never invest in a vehicle I haven’t driven. Over the years I have purchased cars after taking a test drive on a whim, and passed on vehicles I really wanted based on a test drive. Don’t want to anger the Subaru loyal, but more than once Subarus fell into the latter category. It is also an interesting cross shop that could include numerous alternatives in the small SUV category - especially if off-roading is not a priority.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do a lot of outdoor activities: camping, hiking, backpacking, fishing, cycling, and the Civic HB is perfectly capable of doing all those things. I don’t think you necessarily a larger car to do outdoor stuff!

I don’t think the ground clearance is too much of an issue either. I drive a lot on gravel backroads with lots of gravel. But higher clearance is nicer forkeeping your paint and car looking better.

Will a forrester do all those things better? Yes, but the civic HB will also be totally fine as well, with the added bonus that it’s more fun to drive on highways and in cities if you do a lot of that driving.

get a Forester if you want a bigger car. Get a Civic if you want to have a bit more fun driving and like compactness. I honestly think that’s all it boils down to.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts