11th Gen Civic Forum banner
161 - 179 of 179 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
I'm glad that I found this. I have a 22' Civic Sport with 36k (yeah, I drive a lot of miles). This only started about a month ago. It was VERY subtle at first, thought I was imagining it. Now it's ever so slowly gotten worse. I didn't know about the "known issue" and dropped my car off this afternoon to be checked out tomorrow morning. I'll be calling in the morning to advise them of what needs to be replaced. Hopefully they will be cooperative.

· Registered
9 Posts
Update - not software. They called back today and I think he said power steering control module. Part is 5 day lead time, I'll call tomorrow to confirm.
That defi
Update - not software. They called back today and I think he said power steering control module. Part is 5 day lead time, I'll call tomorrow to confirm.
That definitely seems to indicate an electrical problem since steering is electrical on these new models. Thank you for the update and future updates if you are so inclined.

· Registered
9 Posts
My advice to those who have gone to the dealer and been advised that this is "normal" to have the dealer put this in writing. Otherwise it's your word against theirs in any type of litigation scenario.
For all who are concerned and have problems on this issue in this thread, take a look at this video.https://youtu.be/GM7M80Zt8lk

· Registered
9 Posts
For all who are concerned and have problems on this issue in this thread, take a look at this video.https://youtu.be/GM7M80Zt8lk
The video I highlighted will introduce some of you to an auto-mechanic who looks at the vital details through his mechanic tools and will most likely lead us to a resolution to our off-centered steering wheel position/rough steering that concerns us and possibly lead us to a solution.

· Registered
44 Posts
Well, my car spent two days at Honda of Woodstock (GA). In the end, they said "sorry, but we can not find anything wrong." I felt my blood pressure rising so I decided to bite my tongue. I can't make them do the right thing. Arguing won't help. Taking the car back won't help. They either will or wont replace the part and fix the car. I'll never buy another Honda though. What kind of company would want it's customers driving their car that doesn't turn safely. But if I'm in an accident before Honda issues a recall, I'll sue them to bankruptcy.

· Registered
41 Posts
That defi

That definitely seems to indicate an electrical problem since steering is electrical on these new models. Thank you for the update and future updates if you are so inclined.
i thought somewhere in this thread someone said they replaced the control module and the problem was still there and the dealer ended up replacing the rack, pretty sure after everything i’ve read it’s the rack

· Registered
21 Posts
Well, my car spent two days at Honda of Woodstock (GA). In the end, they said "sorry, but we can not find anything wrong." I felt my blood pressure rising so I decided to bite my tongue. I can't make them do the right thing. Arguing won't help. Taking the car back won't help. They either will or wont replace the part and fix the car. I'll never buy another Honda though. What kind of company would want it's customers driving their car that doesn't turn safely. But if I'm in an accident before Honda issues a recall, I'll sue them to bankruptcy.
That's unfortunately the same response I got from my dealer in Central Kentucky. It's getting traded in as soon as I find a replacement.

· Registered
2 Posts
I started to notice this same thing at about 20k miles( 2022 sport touring hatchback and have about 26k on it at time of writing) . It seemed to come and go. It started w/ the steering feeling heavy when trying to make minor adjustments. Then moved to the steering wheel being notchy and sticky that others have mentioned. But once it started to fully stick in left hand corner turning I knew this was a serious problem.

I started to do some testing and on days that was sub 40 degrees F I couldnt reproduce until driving for over 30 minutes at highway speeds. ( My daily commute is about a hour and a half one way). On warmer days it was right there from start. I also noticed that on the cooler days, if I had my headed seats on, heater on blast, it was easier to replicate the issue. I also could bring the issue back by driving with the land keep assist ON and then turning it back off again while driving at highway speeds.

I am taking it in to the dealer tomorrow to have it looked over and will lead w/ all this information. If you need help replicating this for a dealer maybe try some of these steps I have tried. I am also spinning up a Lemon law lawyer after this as I have also already filed a complaint to Honda Corp and NHTSA. If my dealer gives me the run around, I'm taking it to the other Honda dealer that is down the road and then if same thing then moving forward w/ the lemon law lawyer to get out of this death trap. Hope it helps!

· Registered
2 Posts
I started to notice this same thing at about 20k miles( 2022 sport touring hatchback and have about 26k on it at time of writing) . It seemed to come and go. It started w/ the steering feeling heavy when trying to make minor adjustments. Then moved to the steering wheel being notchy and sticky that others have mentioned. But once it started to fully stick in left hand corner turning I knew this was a serious problem.

I started to do some testing and on days that was sub 40 degrees F I couldnt reproduce until driving for over 30 minutes at highway speeds. ( My daily commute is about a hour and a half one way). On warmer days it was right there from start. I also noticed that on the cooler days, if I had my headed seats on, heater on blast, it was easier to replicate the issue. I also could bring the issue back by driving with the land keep assist ON and then turning it back off again while driving at highway speeds.

I am taking it in to the dealer tomorrow to have it looked over and will lead w/ all this information. If you need help replicating this for a dealer maybe try some of these steps I have tried. I am also spinning up a Lemon law lawyer after this as I have also already filed a complaint to Honda Corp and NHTSA. If my dealer gives me the run around, I'm taking it to the other Honda dealer that is down the road and then if same thing then moving forward w/ the lemon law lawyer to get out of this death trap. Hope it helps!

After my visit today the dealer had it for total of 2 hours before saying they couldnt find anything wrong... sighs but my service agent was highly receiving to the issue and said that he has seen others in the dealership with the same issue... so I will be taking it back to another dealer when it happens again... will update with more

· Registered
5 Posts
Up
Hey, good afternoon everyone. I go by FE2_Sirk on my IG car page. I’ve had this exact issue that most of you are describing about a stiff steering wheel column. The steering will does not return back to its original direction especially on the freeway. I took it to my ocean Honda dealer. The senior advisor laughed at me when I explained what was going on. He said “never heard of this” I responded with there’s a first for everything on a new generation for civics. Left the car all day and received a call on 11/12/2022 saying I had aftermarket wheels. I said buddy, there are stock wheels and stock tires. Everything is OEM.

Called me later, saying I had a nail on my rear left side tire. I told him go ahead and patch it up. Finally, got a call right before closing time saying they couldn’t fix my tire so a free one was provided. His conclusion, was multiple technicians said it was fine while others felt stiffness/ what we are experiencing. I brought out to his attention that people have been getting there steering racks replaced. I got home and see my stock rim was curb rashed from them installing a new tire. All they did was recalibrate my car and said let me know how it feels if not bring it back again.

Fast forward, a month later 12/28/2022. Same issue is happening but I haven’t had time to take it to the dealer. Talked with the same senior advisor and he tells me another civic came with the same issue 2 days ago that I’m describing. Left my car and he calls later saying on of his worker wants to test drive the car and take it home to experience it on longer roads and freeways. I told go ahead as it seems you think I’m lying. I call the next day and his answer was they test drove it and it feels the same as any other civic 2022. “There’s stiffness but that’s completely normal.” I told him it wasn’t like this when I drove it out the lot. I will be picking up my car in about a hour.

*******IMPORTANT
I contacted a Lemon Law Attorney and explained everything that’s going on. She said to keep all the paperwork and ask them to print out what they did to diagnose my car for their conclusion. The lawyer said my case is strong but to take it to 3rd time (different Honda dealer) and will be filing a demand letter to Honda. Lastly, I was never provided with a loaner or car rental while I think this car should be considered dangerous to drive. Not even a shuttle to get home or to work. I will keep everyone posted on my situation. IG: FE2_SIRK
** UPDATE

Took the car on January 2 to a different dealer and they diagnosed my car with a faulty Steering Rack. My car has been at the dealer for 1 month given it spent 3 days at other Honda Dealers. NO ETA on steering and they let me burrow a loaner car. At first, they didn’t want to but when I told them that if I crash this will be on them. Manager called me and said to take the loaner. My lawyer was waiting for the diagnostic to send them a demand letter. I will be wanting my car payments I’ve made for 1 year and direct deposit back. If they ignore or deny the letter we will take them to court for a sold lemon law car. There will be 10 k fine towards Honda as well. 60\40 split with lawyer if we win. I have everything on paper so make sure to have them write everything.

· Registered
9 Posts
2nd time to dealership. honda told me to do a ridealong. i did. shopforeman said he did notice it. said he needed to drive another civic to compare. i thought bullshit but whatever. they have my car now so we'll see.

· Registered
5 Posts
AS SOON AS I MADE THIS comment they called me back. they are going to replace the steering wheel rack. ordered but no eta
Good luck! It’s going to take months. Im not waiting all that time and be making monthly payments and then take a risk my car has problems down the line. My car qualifies for a lemon. Did they let you burrow a loaner?

· Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem

have had my 22 sport for almost a year, just about 5k miles, i noticed about a month ago at higher speeds the steering gets strange. when driving straight and making the little left to right adjustments it feels likes it grabbing and i almost have to fight it to get that small adjustment, best comparison is when u try to change lanes without a blinker and the car tries to keep u in the lane, at first it was only randomly on the highway now it seems to be with all higher speeds, it doesn’t do this at lower speeds. i have turned all assistance off and it doesn’t help. thought i was imagining it till i found this thread, unfortunately we all know the answer from the dealer will be”we didn’t find anything everything is fine, no one else has this problem” i’ve not had much luck with any of my hondas with the service dept actually finding and fixing issues i don’t think they know much more than oil changes

· Registered
44 Posts
I had the sticking wheel problem for over a month before I decided to google the problem. Ironically, the search to me to this website where I was ALREADY a member. I haven't been active here for awhile though.

Unfortunately for me, I drive my car for work and travel 150-200 miles a day, so technically I'm out of warranty for the steering rack at 36.5k. Now I'll have to wait for a recall or just keep driving it.

161 - 179 of 179 Posts