11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Picked up a new 2022 civic hatchback sport for my son last week. To me the steering feels weird on the highway. The car almost seems to wander. If I turn the wheel slightly in either direction the car will keep steering in that direction. Almost like the steering is tight. Is this normal for these cars?

· Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback Boost Blue Pearl
130 Posts
Do you have the lane keep assist turned on? I have a spot touring and it drives fine no problems.

· Registered
10 Posts
Car hasn't hit anything. I have tried with lane assist off and no change.
Hey, just curious did you ever get this resolved? I am going through the same feeling right now at faster speeds, like the steering is very loose, the car floats an awful lot and makes me feel unsafe at times. Dealership said the “alignment is fine” first time I brought it in, but didnt adjust anything, they claim all they did was put it on the lift. Ive had the car since 5 miles, I just hit 1000. Never did anything to bring this upon myself like a bad pothole, this is an issue Ive had since day one.

· Registered
3 Posts
I joined just to participate in a couple of these discussions... Have a 22 Touring and have also started noticing the exact scenario that the OP describes within the last week or so. I have around 12K miles on mine and it seems to have just started. Definitely annoying on the highway and it makes LKAS sort of jumpy as well. LKAS is how I first noticed it. Has anyone found a resolution?

· Registered
14 Posts
Yes, same problem for our Civic Touring. I didn't take it to the dealer yet because I figured they'd say they don't see any issues. There were no related service bulletins I could find for this issue :(. We loved this Civic so much, we ordered another one on its way soon. Now I'm having some buyer's regret (deposit non-refundable). Honda, please help!

· Registered
41 Posts
have had my 22 sport for almost a year, just about 5k miles, i noticed about a month ago at higher speeds the steering gets strange. when driving straight and making the little left to right adjustments it feels likes it grabbing and i almost have to fight it to get that small adjustment, best comparison is when u try to change lanes without a blinker and the car tries to keep u in the lane, at first it was only randomly on the highway now it seems to be with all higher speeds, it doesn’t do this at lower speeds. i have turned all assistance off and it doesn’t help. thought i was imagining it till i found this thread, unfortunately we all know the answer from the dealer will be”we didn’t find anything everything is fine, no one else has this problem” i’ve not had much luck with any of my hondas with the service dept actually finding and fixing issues i don’t think they know much more than oil changes

· Registered
14 Posts
have had my 22 sport for almost a year, just about 5k miles, i noticed about a month ago at higher speeds the steering gets strange. when driving straight and making the little left to right adjustments it feels likes it grabbing and i almost have to fight it to get that small adjustment, best comparison is when u try to change lanes without a blinker and the car tries to keep u in the lane, at first it was only randomly on the highway now it seems to be with all higher speeds, it doesn’t do this at lower speeds. i have turned all assistance off and it doesn’t help. thought i was imagining it till i found this thread, unfortunately we all know the answer from the dealer will be”we didn’t find anything everything is fine, no one else has this problem” i’ve not had much luck with any of my hondas with the service dept actually finding and fixing issues i don’t think they know much more than oil changes
I tried everything as well, turn off all the safety assistance controls, try eco/normal/sport, etc. and the steering definitely sticks and veers unless I apply force to correct, creating a jerky experience. We're in about 8k right now and I definitely did not notice it when we first bought it.
We have a new Sport Hatch that we ordered, it should be arriving in a few days. I'll see if that has this issue starting at 0 mileage.

· Registered
41 Posts
everyone following this goto Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA and file a complaint these forums will not get us anywhere unless someone actually gets lucky enough to find a service tech good enough to find and fix the issue, getting this to a big organization that compiles these problems and sends them to the manufacturer is our best hope

· Registered
14 Posts
everyone following this goto Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA and file a complaint these forums will not get us anywhere unless someone actually gets lucky enough to find a service tech good enough to find and fix the issue, getting this to a big organization that compiles these problems and sends them to the manufacturer is our best hope
I thought I'd try pushing the steering away from me all the way (I had pulled it out closer to me) for the commute this morning. It felt better and I couldn't notice the "stickiness". Not sure if it's just wishful thinking, but could you see if that makes any difference for you??

· Registered
41 Posts
I thought I'd try pushing the steering away from me all the way (I had pulled it out closer to me) for the commute this morning. It felt better and I couldn't notice the "stickiness". Not sure if it's just wishful thinking, but could you see if that makes any difference for you??
will def try, but it feels like it’s coming from somewhere in the rack/pinion drivetrain are not the steering column but i will try and get back to u

· Registered
14 Posts
will def try, but it feels like it’s coming from somewhere in the rack/pinion drivetrain are not the steering column but i will try and get back to u
Yep, that's what I was thinking as well... just desperate. I reached out to Honda directly and had an email correspondence going - they wrote back last night saying there aren't aware of any known issues at this time and that they're closing the ticket. So much for their help.

· Registered
41 Posts
Yep, that's what I was thinking as well... just desperate. I reached out to Honda directly and had an email correspondence going - they wrote back last night saying there aren't aware of any known issues at this time and that they're closing the ticket. So much for their help.
that’s why everyone needs to file that complaint with the nhtsa so that a central list is made honda isn’t gonna admit anything or fix anything till they are forced by someone to look at it, service depts are gonna continue to tell us there’s nothing wrong

· Registered
41 Posts
made my appointment for service and requested a technician go for a ride so he can feel for himself what is happening, with my schedule my appointment is over 2 weeks away. did some online digging and it seems the control module for the power steering could be the issue, from the symptoms these can give u and what a lot of us are experiencing. will update after my appointment

· Registered
2022 Civic Touring
5 Posts
A new steering oddity just appeared in my 22 touring the last few weeks. Happens just off center while doing highway type driving with small corrections required. It seems like the steering sticks and then slips or skips and when it does that you over steer a bit causing you to wander in your lane more than you'd like.

· Registered
16 Posts
Master tech just called me and said that there is a system update for the module that supposedly resolved this issue. He says the system is basically fighting back which is why it's "sticking/jumping". Makes sense to me, I always thought it was an electric component issue. I asked why I only feel it at high speeds though and he said it may always be there but more pronounced at high speeds. I'll check back when I get car tomorrow. I drive about 80 miles a day so pick up on any little thing so will be able to tell for sure if it resolved issue or not.

· Registered
2022 Si Blazing Orange Pearl
14 Posts
Master tech just called me and said that there is a system update for the module that supposedly resolved this issue. He says the system is basically fighting back which is why it's "sticking/jumping". Makes sense to me, I always thought it was an electric component issue. I asked why I only feel it at high speeds though and he said it may always be there but more pronounced at high speeds. I'll check back when I get car tomorrow. I drive about 80 miles a day so pick up on any little thing so will be able to tell for sure if it resolved issue or not.
Man I had a feeling it was software

1 - 20 of 180 Posts