11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer had my wheel off to replace the leather grip they messed up and now my wheel is not straight.
Was just curious if anyone has any experience with this gen or the 10gen taking the wheel off. Does the wheel only go on one way? Does it have a grove on the spline that only allows it to go on one way? If it does then I will need to take it back to the dealer, if it doesn’t I will just fix it myself.

I am tired of going to the dealer with this car and it’s an hour drive one way so I would rather fix it myself if possible.

How does the air come off? I am going to do some research on this myself but was curious if anyone had any tips.

My BMW had a certain way to pop the air bag off and you could only put the wheel on one way.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Honda steering wheels typically have groves all around. It can be installed with any of the groves as top center. So, the dealer mechanic probably screwed up. I would recommend you let them correct the problem. Removing the steering wheel can be tricky and dangerous, as the battery needs to be disconnected for many minutes in order to unhook the air bag connectors without triggering the bag to go off. I've done it on my Accord, and it is doable (with knowledge), but a pain. Some of the connectors are hard to disconnect and some are partially hidden. Also, you don't want to screw up the airbag sensor electronics, and then have to take it to the dealer to reprogram/reset.

·
Super Moderator
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Honda steering wheels typically have groves all around. It can be installed with any of the groves as top center. So, the dealer mechanic probably screwed up. I would recommend you let them correct the problem. Removing the steering wheel can be tricky and dangerous, as the battery needs to be disconnected for many minutes in order to unhook the air bag connectors without triggering the bag to go off. I've done it on my Accord, and it is doable (with knowledge), but a pain. Some of the connectors are hard to disconnect and some are partially hidden. Also, you don't want to screw up the airbag sensor electronics, and then have to take it to the dealer to reprogram/reset.
Thanks for all the information. I did find a video on the 10th gen that someone swapped a Type R wheel on their SI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts