11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, '22 Hatch Sport Touring here.

Anyone notice that their steering wheel is a little off-center while allowing the car to track straight on it's own (no steering input)? Mine's a little off to the left as shown, maybe a degree or two. Probably barely perceptible, but this is my first new car, I love it dearly, and I've been over-analyzing the crap out of this thing. It's easiest to tell when you compare the tips of the shifter paddles to the locations of the blinker/wiper stalks.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Speedometer

Here's what's inspired me to ask this question:

Was out camping a couple weeks ago and got it stuck in some gravel where it was high centered and needed a gentle tug from a SUV to get free. I used what appeared to be a recovery point on the front drivers side (the passenger side was buried). A bit concerned that I damaged something from the recovery, this is when I really started paying attention to the alignment/steering and noticed the angle. Took it to the dealership and explained the concern... I even told them it might be my fault and was not asking for warranty. Dealer did a test drive, mechanical inspection, and said all was normal, they didn't find any damage, but ran an alignment anyways. Angle persists.

So maybe this angle was a "feature" from the factory that I was unaware of until an incident happened that caused me to suspect an issue?

Best case, the steering wheel was factory installed a spline off-center (or it's within Honda's manufacturing tolerance) and mechanically everything's fine. Worst case, I bent something. Hoping other's experiences can help me investigate.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should have done my due diligence before writing the above post, but here are some related issues:

Some say the dealer took care of it, but I also took mine in and nothing changed. I feel my dealer might have been sloppy with the PDI since I had to take it back shortly after delivery due to the ECM reprogram not being complete upon delivery.

· Registered
1,951 Posts
If they did an alignment as you said they would have noticed the wheel was off and they could have straightened it during the alignment, did they give you a printout of the alignment settings it would explain steering angle on the specs.

Every road built has a natural crown to it for drainage purposes, it is not unusual to have the vehicle be off on one side as a result when driving, try it on a flat parking lot some time see if it is the same ?

· Registered
9 Posts
Hey folks, '22 Hatch Sport Touring here.

Anyone notice that their steering wheel is a little off-center while allowing the car to track straight on it's own (no steering input)? Mine's a little off to the left as shown, maybe a degree or two. Probably barely perceptible, but this is my first new car, I love it dearly, and I've been over-analyzing the crap out of this thing. It's easiest to tell when you compare the tips of the shifter paddles to the locations of the blinker/wiper stalks.

View attachment 10232

Here's what's inspired me to ask this question:

Was out camping a couple weeks ago and got it stuck in some gravel where it was high centered and needed a gentle tug from a SUV to get free. I used what appeared to be a recovery point on the front drivers side (the passenger side was buried). A bit concerned that I damaged something from the recovery, this is when I really started paying attention to the alignment/steering and noticed the angle. Took it to the dealership and explained the concern... I even told them it might be my fault and was not asking for warranty. Dealer did a test drive, mechanical inspection, and said all was normal, they didn't find any damage, but ran an alignment anyways. Angle persists.

So maybe this angle was a "feature" from the factory that I was unaware of until an incident happened that caused me to suspect an issue?

Best case, the steering wheel was factory installed a spline off-center (or it's within Honda's manufacturing tolerance) and mechanically everything's fine. Worst case, I bent something. Hoping other's experiences can help me investigate.
I noticed the off center angle of my steering wheel almost immediately after obtaining my car, and it's the same angle as your picture. Because it is so slight, I've decided to operate it normally and keep an eye on it and other issues that may arise over time and address them when and as appropriate. I hope getting this vehicle in it's first iteration wasn't a mistake as it was on my mind. Overall, I as of now feel Hondas' engineering group hit a homerun with few noticeable mistakes that hopefully won't affect the driving experience in a way that occupies the customer base time and tries our patience with multiple concerns and dealer visits. But you are right on with your noticing the wheel angle. Thank you for your attention to detail, as it's a true way of identifying and hopefully getting discovered issues corrected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts