11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, lemme preface this with two facts…
A) This is my first Honda
B) This is not my first manual transmission
22 Sport Touring 6MT. < 8000 miles.
I ok it in for first oil change, everything seemed to be working fine. Got the car back, sat for a week while I was out of town and now I am having major clutch slippage. At first I thought it was turbo lag. Took to Honda dealer and they tore down tranny and stated that the clutch pad is practically gone and accused me of either racing it/hot ridding it or constantly riding the clutch. I do neither of these things. I will not say I have never ridden the clutch, but it is by now means a common occurrence. I have never heard of a clutch failing at such low mileage even with the most novice driver ever. Any other issues with early clutch failure on this car? Honda says they will not cover under new car warranty. I am aware a clutch is considered a “wear and tear” part, but it seems inferior quality to have worn down so quick without abusive driving. (Side note, I live in flat land, not hilly at all. Have driven multiple vehicles with manual transmission before including sedans, hatchbacks, pickups, and tractor-trailers)
These are the pictures they sent me. Again, less than 8k miles
Automotive tire Alloy wheel Stairs Wood Rim

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Tread Gas

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

· Registered
1,952 Posts
Looks like the clutch disc still has material on it , pictures aren't perfect though. That clutch should have lasted 100k miles, not normal for it to fail so early.

You need to push the warranty coverage as much as you can, even with it being a wear item it should still fall under the 1st year warranty like brakes ? They need to prove it was abuse IMO.

· Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT
588 Posts
Something smells fishy. You bring the car in for first servicing, and basically right after that start seeing "major" clutch slippage you hadn't before?

That sort of thing doesn't just come on, it usually happens gradually (slips more and more), not "drives normally", then oil change, then "need new clutch"

Did you record (or have a record of) the odometer reading when you brought it in vs. when you got it back? I mean, the simplest explanation for "man, looks like someone just rode this clutch into the ground" is "somebody used your car to teach someone to drive a manual transmission"

Any chance someone did this while you let the car sit for a week? Like, maybe it wasn't quite sitting?!

· Registered
1,952 Posts
Something smells fishy. You bring the car in for first servicing, and basically right after that start seeing "major" clutch slippage you hadn't before?

That sort of thing doesn't just come on, it usually happens gradually (slips more and more), not "drives normally", then oil change, then "need new clutch"

Did you record (or have a record of) the odometer reading when you brought it in vs. when you got it back? I mean, the simplest explanation for "man, looks like someone just rode this clutch into the ground" is "somebody used your car to teach someone to drive a manual transmission"

Any chance someone did this while you let the car sit for a week? Like, maybe it wasn't quite sitting?!
I totally agree with this, something unusual is at play here. A clutch never just gives out like that so early without some form of abuse. Signs of wear on the clutch and flywheel and pp would be very obvious and Honda techs would know it. The only other thing I might suggest is a technician took the car out for a joy ride but that would be highly speculative on my part without proof.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everyone. Thanks so much for the comments and feedback. I meant to get back and update sooner, but life is what it is.
So first things first, found out the Gen 11 uses the same transmission/clutch assembly as the Gen 10. This unit had known issues resulting in a TSB being issued for similar early failure.
After much back and forth with Honda Corporate and my dealership, more investigation was done. In my area alone between 3 dealerships, multiple cases of premature failure were reported and serviced…ALL WERE CUSTOMER PAY. However, this was not an acceptable situation and after Corporate refused to help and discussions with Service Manager and dealership General Manager, it was revealed that the additional investigation has uncovered an improperly adjusted throwout bearing from the factory and approval for warranty coverage was granted by the regional service manager. A rental car was also provided at no charge and repairs were completed in under a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts