11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my dash had some dust on it and I took a microfiber over it to pick it all up but it left behind a ton of small scratches
How does this screen scratch so easily and how do I fix it?
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Trip computer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pictures should be more telling, but my first thought was they’re not scratches. But tiny microfiber strands that got left behind because of the texture of the dashboard.

That’s just a guess though.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
So my dash had some dust on it and I took a microfiber over it to pick it all up but it left behind a ton of small scratches
How does this screen scratch so easily and how do I fix it?
It might be worth getting a new microfiber cloth and cleaning solution.
You can often find kits with both of them for $5 at your local Best Buy, Walmart, etc. for touch devices in general.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pictures should be more telling, but my first thought was they’re not scratches. But tiny microfiber strands that got left behind because of the texture of the dashboard.

That’s just a guess though.
I tried seeing if I can move these strands but they are not movable and seem to be scratches
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Trip computer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hopefully those aren’t permanent. When cleaning that same area, I placed a fine mist of cleaning solution on a brand new microfiber towel, then very lightly patted down the area to draw in all of the dust and debris onto the towel, as opposed to just wiping across the dirty area. That same method of lightly patting down with a microfiber towel also works great when drying the car itself after a wash, so you don’t leave behind any dried water, swirl, or scratch marks on the clear coat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tried seeing if I can move these strands but they are not movable and seem to be scratches
Sorry. I misunderstood your post. I didn’t realize you were talking about the lens for the instrument cluster

You said dash. So I assumed you were talking about the actual dashboard. Which is pretty durable. That’s why I thought maybe they weren’t scratches.

But yeah, the lens covering the gauge cluster is very delicate. I noticed scratches on mine, even before I wiped it for the first time.

Not sure how to get the scratches out. But as MyCivic22 suggested. Be as gentle as you can when you need to clean in the the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry. I misunderstood your post. I didn’t realize you were talking about the lens for the instrument cluster

You said dash. So I assumed you were talking about the actual dashboard. Which is pretty durable. That’s why I thought maybe they weren’t scratches.

But yeah, the lens covering the gauge cluster is very delicate. I noticed scratches on mine, even before I wiped it for the first time.

Not sure how to get the scratches out. But as MyCivic22 suggested. Be as gentle as you can when you need to clean in the the future.
Ah yes, apologies. My terminology isn't the best.
Yeah I barely even put any pressure on it at all and it scratched the hell out of it
Ah well...sucks but nothing to be done about it now

·
Super Moderator
173 Posts
Yeah I barely even put any pressure on it at all and it scratched the hell out of it
You might be able to get some sort of plastic polish and buff some of that out

·
Registered
48 Posts
That looks bad. You're gonna have to remove that thing and buff that out, but there is no way the plastic is that soft to get damaged by a micofiber cloth. Dumb question though, is the protective film still on it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
That looks bad. You're gonna have to remove that thing and buff that out, but there is no way the plastic is that soft to get damaged by a micofiber cloth. Dumb question though, is the protective film still on it?
Yeah, I'm thinking the "dust" you were wiping with a microfiber cloth was actually sand you rubbed into and across it :(

Did you drive open-air at a beach or something? Or past a construction site?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked and it is not
I tried seeing if maybe It was but it isn't.
I dont know what happened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking the "dust" you were wiping with a microfiber cloth was actually sand you rubbed into and across it :(

Did you drive open-air at a beach or something? Or past a construction site?
I dont know. I haven't been to a beach and I usually drive with my windows up as well.
It seemed to Just be dust

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's a long shot, but are you sure these weren't some kind of pollen or (urk) tiny insect related... bits that smeared?

I suppose you already tried using some kind of glass cleaner product like Windex and it's not wiping off, they're definitely scratches?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts