11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been making these shift knobs by hand. All are for sale if anyone is interested, you can purchase on my Etsy (NewEnglandWoodworkCo). I’d also love to talk anything manual with anyone. Can’t wait to get my 11th gen Si, these sales help put towards that fund. All knobs will fit any gen civic, S2K, accord... anything MT that’s honda. Jewellery Metal Fashion accessory Gemstone Natural material

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
I’ve been making these shift knobs by hand. All are for sale if anyone is interested, you can purchase on my Etsy (NewEnglandWoodworkCo). I’d also love to talk anything manual with anyone. Can’t wait to get my 11th gen Si, these sales help put towards that fund. All knobs will fit any gen civic, S2K, accord... anything MT that’s honda. View attachment 512
Welcome to the forum @Mongo! Very cool looking shift knobs! What materials do you use? Have you owned other Civics or would the 11th gen Si be your first?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, thank you for the warm welcome! I source various types of burl wood for all my shift knobs. I’ve worked with many types of wood such as Maple Burl, Japanese Elm Burl, Australian Eucalyptus Burl, Brown Mallee Burl & Gray Box Elder Burl. All the resin is high quality and sometimes includes a material such as shredded money, pinecones, chola cactus, or gold leaf. Unfortunately, I don’t yet have the equipment to cast my own blanks, but all the turning, polishing and fitting is done by me.

Regarding my Civic ownership I had one other Civic before. It was an 06’ LX 5-Speed. My father gave it to me when it turned 16. Sadly, I totaled it about a month ago. I just really want a manual Honda. I know the 21’ sport hatch comes in a 6-Speed, but I’m not a big fan of the “hatchback”. I’m also not in love with the Fit. I can’t find any 20’ Si’s near me so I figure just wait till spring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum @Mongo! Very cool looking shift knobs! What materials do you use? Have you owned other Civics or would the 11th gen Si be your first?
Hello, thank you for the warm welcome! I source various types of burl wood for all my shift knobs. I’ve worked with many types of wood such as Maple Burl, Japanese Elm Burl, Australian Eucalyptus Burl, Brown Mallee Burl & Gray Box Elder Burl. All the resin is high quality and sometimes includes a material such as shredded money, pinecones, chola cactus, or gold leaf. Unfortunately, I don’t yet have the equipment to cast my own blanks, but all the turning, polishing and fitting is done by me.

Regarding my Civic ownership I had one other Civic before. It was an 06’ LX 5-Speed. My father gave it to me when it turned 16. Sadly, I totaled it about a month ago. I just really want a manual Honda. I know the 21’ sport hatch comes in a 6-Speed, but I’m not a big fan of the “hatchback”. I’m also not in love with the Fit. I can’t find any 20’ Si’s near me so I figure just wait till spring.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Have you installed any of your own knobs in that 06' LX? Or just kept it OEM?
What are you driving now?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you installed any of your own knobs in that 06' LX? Or just kept it OEM?
What are you driving now?
I had the first shift knob I ever made in my LX, contemplating putting it in my 11th Gen or making a new one (all Honda threads are the same). Before that I had a weighted Skunk2. Right now I just use my parents cars. We are a Honda family my dad has a 16’ accord sport (AT 😔) and my mom has a 19’ CR-V. We also have a 06’ S2000 really mint with 35K on it, black on black, but it stays covered with the battery tender on it during New England winters. I’m in my last semester of college remotely so it’s not awful. Can’t wait for the 11th gen Si!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I had the first shift knob I ever made in my LX, contemplating putting it in my 11th Gen or making a new one (all Honda threads are the same). Before that I had a weighted Skunk2. Right now I just use my parents cars. We are a Honda family my dad has a 16’ accord sport (AT 😔) and my mom has a 19’ CR-V. We also have a 06’ S2000 really mint with 35K on it, black on black, but it stays covered with the battery tender on it during New England winters. I’m in my last semester of college remotely so it’s not awful. Can’t wait for the 11th gen Si!
Not bad. Have you made any sporty looking shift knobs?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not bad. Have you made any sporty looking shift knobs?
Thank you! I guess I wouldn’t consider anything extremely sporty as opposed to just a work of art. I’m always looking for ways to improve and better myself. What would be a design you would consider sporty? I can make a knob out of anything you can turn on a wood lathe. My lathe can fit a much larger stock of wood or whatever material so the knob could be longer. I don’t mean this in any bad way I genuinely see it as a way to improve my work. I’ve thought about doing a theme but Im unaware of any car related please inform me. I could do a red and white like the type r badge. I’ve also considered red and blue ( M Series), but BMW doesn’t do threaded knobs.

·
Registered
643 Posts

Welcome to the forum @Mongo! What do you think of the new look of the Civic compared to the previous ones?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum @Mongo! What do you think of the new look of the Civic compared to the previous ones?
I dig it! I am curious to see how to compares in size to the Accord and prior Civic models. I really enjoy everything I see so far, especially am a big fan of the new Solar flare red color seen in the prototypes. I’m sure it will be my next car regardless, I just hope it’s relatively small like prior Civics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just thought of this, I know it doesn’t concern looks and only a concept sketch has been shown of the interior. But my biggest compliant is the electronic e-brake. I know all in all it is probably great and much needed of course in a manual, but I just worry about weird things. Like what if your battery dies and you can’t disengage the e-brake, now you must call someone instead of attempting a bump start.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just thought of this, I know it doesn’t concern looks and only a concept sketch has been shown of the interior. But my biggest compliant is the electronic e-brake. I know all in all it is probably great and much needed of course in a manual, but I just worry about weird things. Like what if your battery dies and you can’t disengage the e-brake, now you must call someone instead of attempting a bump start.
If the battery goes dead you won't be able to engage or disengage the parking brake. You have to get the car jump started.

From the Civic owner's manual

1 - 12 of 12 Posts