11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm trying to hardwire a dashcam in my 2022 Sport Touring. I'm wondering if there are any resources/tutorials to safely remove the A-pillar trim and the interior fuse cover beneath the steering wheel so I can route the cables better. I've seen some members here suggest I tuck my wires behind pillar trim and the windshield, but if someone has a guide or a manual I can use to remove the trim and work beyond that it'd be great. I'd get a professional installation done, but they seem to be charging almost as much as the dash cam so I'm inclined to DIY.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This may be a better option - Dash Cam Power Adapter (12-pin Select Honda Accord & Civic). I don't know of any one posting that they've tried it but it seems pretty simple.
Thanks. I've taken a look at this before. My only concern about this is that we're technically expanding the auto-dimming mirror power supply with dash cam too but we aren't adding an additional fuse as protection like you would in a typical dashcam hardwire. So in this case you have the potential to burn through your auto-dimming mirror fuse since the dash cam will be added power drain.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks. I've taken a look at this before. My only concern about this is that we're technically expanding the auto-dimming mirror power supply with dash cam too but we aren't adding an additional fuse as protection like you would in a typical dashcam hardwire. So in this case you have the potential to burn through your auto-dimming mirror fuse since the dash cam will be added power drain.
Exactly the issue I thought of when looking at that option. Generally, the A-Pillars are the same across many cars. I've done DIY installs of hardwire dash cams in all my familiy's vehicles, the new 11th gen will be no exception. Follow the instructions on Youtube. Pull the weather seal from the driver side (generally) door and then use a plastic trim tool kit and work the clips off the side dashboard. Should see some of the 10th gen Sedan installs, the panels should be very similar (at least the front panels). Always remember to run the cable behind the A-Pillar airbag and generally away from any airbag deployment. Although it shouldn't hinder the deployment of the airbags, getting a rubberized copper cable shot at you at 100mph doesn't sound fun when that likelihood can be minimized.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Generally, the A-Pillars are the same across many cars. I've done DIY installs of hardwire dash cams in all my familiy's vehicles, the new 11th gen will be no exception.
Mine is a sport touring model. They've included a tweeter on the A-pillar in this model, so I'm not sure if I need to take special care removing it out. I tried removing the clip holding the A-pillar to access the screw that comes out, but it is tightly fit so I stopped there as I didn't want to damage the surrounding trim trying to pry under it with a plastic tool.

I'm also curious as to how would I route the rear dash cam through the cabin since mine is a hatchback.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine is a sport touring model. They've included a tweeter on the A-pillar in this model, so I'm not sure if I need to take special care removing it out. I tried removing the clip holding the A-pillar to access the screw that comes out, but it is tightly fit so I stopped there as I didn't want to damage the surrounding trim trying to pry under it with a plastic tool.

I'm also curious as to how would I route the rear dash cam through the cabin since mine is a hatchback.
Not sure about your tweeter question but pictures would help. You may be able to sneak it behind that trim piece.

As for rear installs, for my 8th gen, I went under the driver side and passenger side door sills and then under the rear seat carpet then into the rear deck lid and up.

I've also seen other go through the roof liner and it's probably easier to fish it through that way but I would just drop the entire roof liner in that case. At any point, if you don't feel like you're up to it. Take it to a pro shop that's known for installing dash cams (most Thinkware/BlackVue dealers are also very good installers). No point in wrecking your $400 roof liner or breaking $200 in trim pieces for a $200 install. At least if they break it, they have insurance and will replace the pieces and generally the installs look very tidy better than most DIY jobs.

·
Registered
2022 Sport Touring in CBP
39 Posts
Hello,
I'm trying to hardwire a dashcam in my 2022 Sport Touring. I'm wondering if there are any resources/tutorials to safely remove the A-pillar trim and the interior fuse cover beneath the steering wheel so I can route the cables better. I've seen some members here suggest I tuck my wires behind pillar trim and the windshield, but if someone has a guide or a manual I can use to remove the trim and work beyond that it'd be great. I'd get a professional installation done, but they seem to be charging almost as much as the dash cam so I'm inclined to DIY.
The A-pillar has a screw hidden behind the SRS Airbag tag. Carefully remove it with a small screwdriver or trim removal tool. From there it should just pull away and toward the roof. Be careful of any speaker wiring if you have it. Pull the plastic cover off the side of the dashboard below the A-pillar to help with fishing the wires. The main interior fuse box is located behind the lower dash trim left of the steering column.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts