11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Like many of you, I'm very excited for the new Type R and I'm trying to get one early. I'd also like to try to get one at or close to MSRP but know that this will be tough.

If anyone knows any dealers who has a waitlist for the Type R, especially in the Northeast, please let me know!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Volkswagen GTI S, 6MT
51 Posts
Good luck. People were already putting down deposits with their Honda dealerships last year to be in line when they get their Type R allocation, so even in a normal market it would be really difficult to find one any time soon. But due to the chip shortage there are long wait times and dealer markups even for regular Civics, and it's supposed to be an economy car and volume seller. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing it will be a matter of years not months until you'll be able to find a Type R around MSRP, if ever.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey all,

Like many of you, I'm very excited for the new Type R and I'm trying to get one early. I'd also like to try to get one at or close to MSRP but know that this will be tough.

If anyone knows any dealers who has a waitlist for the Type R, especially in the Northeast, please let me know!

Thanks!
Good luck. you're late to the game by 6 months, especially at MSRP and Northeast. I'm in Masschusetts, and my Type-R is reserved in Michigan

·
Registered
2022 Civic Si
29 Posts
I was able to secure a refundable deposit with my dealer just 3 weeks ago. We agreed to MSRP +$5k but I plan on talking them into allowing me to buy some accessories and protection/ext warranty in lieu of the $5k and I believe they’ll accept that, otherwise I’ll back out.

I just bought an Si from them in December (at MSRP) so that helped my case. But I would just keep searching. There’s still going to be dealers out there who want to earn your busines. My recommendation would be to check out smaller more isolated communities where the dealer is more likely to work with you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This will be one of the more difficult Unicorns for the next years.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Si
69 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks!
Looking to get a Type-R as well! Good luck on your search. Have contacted multiple dealers and had responses anywhere from no waiting list, to waiting list with 6 people. Also, had offers at MSRP and up to $10k over. Keep us posted on your journey!

·
Registered
2022 Civic Si
69 Posts
When i was in the market fir an Si, I called 70 dealers and got 2 at MSRP and one at $500 over, Ended up driving 12 hours round trip to pick mine up.

Type R will be a bigger challenge

I wrote this up in a different thread showcasing my journey so far at trying to find a Type R. My road to finding an Si was about 10 dealerships and I ended up traveling about 3 hours. Like you said I suspect the Type R will be a bigger challenge.
I have contacted 13 dealers and so far have this...

Dealer 1: $1000 deposit (5 people on waiting list) selling at MSRP... not sure how their volume will look... first come first serve with the deposits and it refundable.

Dealer 2: $500 deposit (6 people on waiting list) not sure about markup... expecting at least a year till I would be able to get one

Dealer 3: Deposit ?? (Waiting list 5 people on it)... according to recent 10th gen volume they get 1 or 2 a year (small rural dealership).

Dealer 4: Deposit?? (Waiting list??)... sales manager won't give me an expected markup just saying "haven't talked much about the markup but there will be one heard other dealers doing 10k over"

Dealer 5: $1000 deposit (waiting list??)... sales manager said $5000 over MSRP (following their model of 2k over for regular civics, 3k over for Si 5k for CTR)

Dealer 6-13: No response or just giving me the run around. I will update as I send out more emails and get more responses.

Few TIPS on emailing dealers if anybody is curious.

dont ask dealers when or how many 11th gen CTR's they'll get in They don't know and they'll just give you the runaround. ASK "what did your Type-R volume look like per year or quarter for the previous generation Civic Type-R". This will give you a good idea on how many they will get and then you can guesstimate your position on a waiting list.

Create a template you can copy and paste to send out to many dealers. Make sure you specify you are NOT interested in other vehicles, specify you want to know...
1. If they are taking deposits
2. Is there a waiting list? If YES, ask how many people would be ahead of you.
3. Are they selling at MSRP and if not what will their markup be (ask is the 10th gen had a markup if they try telling you they don't know) if the 10th get had one so will the 11th.
4. How many do they expect to get and when do they expect to see their first CTR.

Lastly, FIND THE GENERAL SALES MANAGERS EMAIL AND PERSONALLY EMAIL THAT PERSON!!
Be polite address your call or email to that person and make it seem natural say please and thank you. yes, its a little @$$ kissing but it does help sometimes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was able to secure a refundable deposit with my dealer just 3 weeks ago. We agreed to MSRP +$5k but I plan on talking them into allowing me to buy some accessories and protection/ext warranty in lieu of the $5k and I believe they’ll accept that, otherwise I’ll back out.

I just bought an Si from them in December (at MSRP) so that helped my case. But I would just keep searching. There’s still going to be dealers out there who want to earn your busines. My recommendation would be to check out smaller more isolated communities where the dealer is more likely to work with you.
I've agreed to MSRP + $10k.
Man, MSRP + $5k is like getting an extra set of Volks with tires (y)
Will the dealer ask you to trade in the SI?

·
Registered
2022 Civic Si
29 Posts
I've agreed to MSRP + $10k.
Man, MSRP + $5k is like getting an extra set of Volks with tires (y)
Will the dealer ask you to trade in the SI?
Yeah as of now that is my plan, will save about $3k or so on taxes for the CTR so the difference between dealer trade in and selling it is probably about a wash in this case.

But that said, I am very confident I will be able to buy it at MSRP. I’ll keep everyone updated when the time comes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah as of now that is my plan, will save about $3k or so on taxes for the CTR so the difference between dealer trade in and selling it is probably about a wash in this case.

But that said, I am very confident I will be able to buy it at MSRP. I’ll keep everyone updated when the time comes.
yup,
this sounds about right.
this dealer will make some $$$ selling you the Type R, make a little taking in trade of your SI, then make $$$ again selling your SI.

to you'all trying to get an allocation, you guys may have to dangle a trade in.
let me explain:
due to supple chain shortage, most dealer lots are empty.
so when someone walks in an say, "I got $$$, and I want a Type R", the dealer may not sell to this guy/gal.
however, if you come in with an interesting trade (like, New SI) that will attract more foot traffic to the dealership and make $$$ three times, you bet the person with the trade will get an allocation before the rich guy.
just my take on the state of the US car market and addition help on how to (perhaps) get the attention of the sales/sales manager.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts