11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New reports are coming out of Japan that suggest the 2022 Civic hatchback will be the first vehicle built on Honda's new platform and will debut in Japan first before the US.

With production ending in the UK, the report says that production of the hatchback will be split between The United States (Indiana) and the Yorii factory in Japan (Saitama Prefecture). They also speculate that because of this there could be exclusive models in the US and Japan.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Looks like some outlets here are picking up the same thing. CarBuzz is suggesting that November is when it'll be released.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
New reports are coming out of Japan that suggest the 2022 Civic hatchback will be the first vehicle built on Honda's new platform and will debut in Japan first before the US.

With production ending in the UK, the report says that production of the hatchback will be split between The United States (Indiana) and the Yorii factory in Japan (Saitama Prefecture). They also speculate that because of this there could be exclusive models in the US and Japan.
I’m late to this but this news is new and exciting to me! I hope we can get some sort of exclusive Si Hatchback!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
124 Posts
A friend of mine, when this info dropped, suggested that this new platform may be the one shared with the new Acura ILX replacement... and feature a double wishbone front suspension (like the TLX). I'm torn, because it's hard for me to imagine Honda using two platforms for the same model of car when production complexity reduction has been their main goal lately. That's not to say I wouldn't love the idea of a more refined/sport focused hatch.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
A friend of mine, when this info dropped, suggested that this new platform may be the one shared with the new Acura ILX replacement... and feature a double wishbone front suspension (like the TLX). I'm torn, because it's hard for me to imagine Honda using two platforms for the same model of car when production complexity reduction has been their main goal lately. That's not to say I wouldn't love the idea of a more refined/sport focused hatch.
I might not know too much about that but what I do know for a fact is that the hatchback will be in an all new platform and the possibilities of it being shared arnt super low since Honda IS Acura and such and so on. I hope that’s not the case though.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
124 Posts
I might not know too much about that but what I do know for a fact is that the hatchback will be in an all new platform and the possibilities of it being shared arnt super low since Honda IS Acura and such and so on. I hope that’s not the case though.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
Given that Honda is migrating the new Pilot to their new light truck platform (the same one under the new MDX) it wouldn't surprise me to see the new ILX replacement share a structure with the civic. Its just very odd for me to imagine the sedan and hatch having two totally different platforms and yet looking nearly identical. Again, I happily welcome the idea of a civic hatch having something like a double wishbone suspension. That would transform the idea of the potential Si hatch as well as the CTR. But the only info I've seen on this new platform is that one Japanese publication, and I have to imagine that there is at least a chance something was translated incorrectly, or the publication itself was incorrect. (If there are other sources, by all means, I'd love to see them).

We also know that the new HRV is going to have a global AND north american version, we don't know how different they'll be yet.. but that also raises the chance that Japan will have a specific platform for it's civic, and our hatches will make due with the sedan platform.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Given that Honda is migrating the new Pilot to their new light truck platform (the same one under the new MDX) it wouldn't surprise me to see the new ILX replacement share a structure with the civic. Its just very odd for me to imagine the sedan and hatch having two totally different platforms and yet looking nearly identical. Again, I happily welcome the idea of a civic hatch having something like a double wishbone suspension. That would transform the idea of the potential Si hatch as well as the CTR. But the only info I've seen on this new platform is that one Japanese publication, and I have to imagine that there is at least a chance something was translated incorrectly, or the publication itself was incorrect. (If there are other sources, by all means, I'd love to see them).

We also know that the new HRV is going to have a global AND north american version, we don't know how different they'll be yet.. but that also raises the chance that Japan will have a specific platform for it's civic, and our hatches will make due with the sedan platform.
So long as Spoon Sports continues to supply parts to the North American platform I’m okay with it, fingers crossed 🤞

1 - 7 of 7 Posts