11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wouldn't. It needs to be left in neutral. I only leave it in gear on hills. And the whole aspect of potential thefts while left in neutral doesn't concern me where I live.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I discussed this a few months ago with Jeff at Lockdown Security Canada as I was curious and he said while it could be done in it's current form. There's no out of the box harness adapters available yet for the 22 MT so they would have to cut into the actual wiring harness. It can be done however, beyond my DIY knowledge. Would definitely need a pro shop to do that.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT
506 Posts
Many aftermarket manufacturers do make them. I'm just not having any luck because it's a new gen.
That is correct. By design, no stock factory auto-start system works with a manual transmission.

Aftermarket ones exist that check what gear you're in (must be in neutral, with parking brake on), and also have a way to bypass the clutch safety switch on the starter (obviously it's not going to have a mechanical way to press down on the clutch pedal).

The clutch safety switch is a manufacturer's requirement. You can obviously see why it's not something that comes from the manufacturer with an auto-defeat - it's probably technically illegal, or illegal to manufacture but not to modify with a clutch safety defeat (possibly by market - US vs. CA vs. EUR vs. Japan, etc.), or at a minimum, would require work to modify their existing switch designs for very little gain (how many people with M/T cars want remote start THAT badly?).

·
Registered
506 Posts
I couldn't imagine anyone would be rushing to make auto start for the 11 gen Civics since like 90% of the cars produced come with factory auto start.
That said, what is different with the 11th gen vs. the 10th gen that would require a design change in an aftermarket remote starter for a 6MT Honda?

Did they change the clutch safety switch somehow? ...Maybe having to do with the auto-stop/start feature that is new for the 11th Gen (meaning the starter is different enough as to warrant a different mechanism)?

·
Registered
553 Posts
That said, what is different with the 11th gen vs. the 10th gen that would require a design change in an aftermarket remote starter for a 6MT Honda?

Did they change the clutch safety switch somehow? ...Maybe having to do with the auto-stop/start feature that is new for the 11th Gen (meaning the starter is different enough as to warrant a different mechanism)?
You can make it remote start. The problem is no one makes or will ever make a direct plug in T harness because of liability issues. If the car is in gear you're bypassing the clutch safety switch for remote start. The remote start has no way of knowing what gear your in since the car doesn't know what gear your in either unlike an automatic.
Back in the day they used to have a ring you could mount in the shifter assembly that would produce a ground so it wouldn't allow the system to start if in a gear.
However those were more problematic than anything. So that was phased out quickly.
Can you remote start the SI? Of course. It's up to any person that wants to take it or do it themselves and use the correct gauge wiring for the system. Compustar makes a good one. But all in all you'd be at about $1200 if you did it yourself or about 2k for a shop and more often than not No shop will do it because of liability. Depending on your state . As it is a legality issue. That's why I don't know of a single OEM car that's remote start. NOT saying it doesn't exist but I just never heard of one ever.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You can make it remote start. The problem is no one makes or will ever make a direct plug in T harness because of liability issues. If the car is in gear you're bypassing the clutch safety switch for remote start. The remote start has no way of knowing what gear your in since the car doesn't know what gear your in either unlike an automatic.
Back in the day they used to have a ring you could mount in the shifter assembly that would produce a ground so it wouldn't allow the system to start if in a gear.
However those were more problematic than anything. So that was phased out quickly.
Can you remote start the SI? Of course. It's up to any person that wants to take it or do it themselves and use the correct gauge wiring for the system. Compustar makes a good one. But all in all you'd be at about $1200 if you did it yourself or about 2k for a shop and more often than not No shop will do it because of liability. Depending on your state . As it is a legality issue. That's why I don't know of a single OEM car that's remote start. NOT saying it doesn't exist but I just never heard of one ever.
Oh I totally understand why they can't come with remote starts from the factory (cars with manual transmissions).

But aftermarket kits DO exist, and the OP implied he would do it but was waiting for one made for the 11th gen Civic, which further implies the kits already existing don't work for the 11th gen Civic (in especial). Which is what I was curious about.

For example, a Google searched turned up this outfit (in Canada, no less):

My vehicle has manual transmission, can I have a remote starter installed?
Answer: Yes, we offer remote start and security packages that work on most manual transmission vehicles. Usually it requires leaving the vehicle in neutral and setting the emergency brake before removing the key. In manual transmission reservation mode this will keep your vehicle running while you exit and shut all doors. The engine will then shut off and if your remote system is 2-way it can send a signal back to the remote.
I found this from searching the CivicX board (the 10th gen Civic), if this worked for the 10th gen I don't see why it wouldn't for the 11th gen as both have electronic e-brakes.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Oh I totally understand why they can't come with remote starts from the factory (cars with manual transmissions).

But aftermarket kits DO exist, and the OP implied he would do it but was waiting for one made for the 11th gen Civic, which further implies the kits already existing don't work for the 11th gen Civic (in especial). Which is what I was curious about.

For example, a Google searched turned up this outfit (in Canada, no less):

Yeah I know I was an installer years and years ago. They exist. Essentially they're all universal. You just program them. But to make installation easier they make t harness for several cars you just unplug the dash and steering column harness plug the alarm brain in ,run 5 wires , usually hood pin kill switch,siren,door ground,then that was it. Program the brain ,be done in about 30 minutes. No cut harnesses totally reversible without damaging the main harness. But these cars will never have a t harness made ,no Honda manual has a T harness then or now. For that reason.NOW they do make Honda t harnesses for automatics and I've known guys to Jerri rig those for the manuals but that doesn't mean they " make" a harness for the Manuals. But yes basically every remote system offered can be used for manual. The installer just makes it work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, it can be done. I have a alarm and remote start on my Si. Majority of modern vehicles run off of data so it's much easier to do. Only annoying thing you have to deal with is once you close the door to enable the remote start you can't open the doors again if you forget something or you have to re-enable the remote start again. Other than that I have no issues installed it 2 weeks (Dec 12) after getting my Si.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts