11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone it's my first time joining and posting on a forum so I'm new to all of this. I just got my 11th gen Hatchback Sport Touring on the 28th and I've had this issue since day 1 where it says the middle and right rear seat belts are buckled when they actually aren't and idk if anyone else has had this issue before. I work at a Honda dealer myself and so far, none of the techs here know anything about it so any help from you guys would be great. I posted a picture of what I'm talking about but if you can't see the pic for whatever reason lmk so I can send it to you.

Speedometer Car Vehicle Steering part Gauge

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT in PWP
203 Posts
I have no idea what's going on there, but there is a certain irony (if that's the right metal) in someone who works at a Honda dealership admitting their in-house techs (who can examine the car) are baffled and turning to an internet forum for help based on a dashboard photo, LOL

For example, the obvious answer would be, "well, are the seats buckled?" I know you said "they actually aren't", but are you basing that on "nobody's ever used them" or have you physically checked?

My Civic HB came to me with all three of the back seat belt indicators lit up green like that when I first started the engine. And that's because it evidently shipped from the factory with the back seats buckled, like it was part of a QA test at some point and why unbuckle them when done? Move on to the next test or the next car!

I actually thought green meant "functional" and didn't think twice about it until the first time I had passengers get back there for a ride on Day #3, who immediately said, "Hey, I thought we were the first passengers... These seats are already buckled!" And when they unbuckled them the indicators went red, and then after they got out with the seats unbuckled (and nobody back there) they were just gray.

And the old IT answer of "turn it off and then back on again" may apply, if you have checked and they are 100% not buckled... Start the engine, buckle them, then unbuckle them and re-buckle them a few times, does that clear the indicator? If it does and everything works as expected going forward, just forget it ever happened (until it happens again) because now the problem's not reproducible. LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea what's going on there, but there is a certain irony (if that's the right metal) in someone who works at a Honda dealership admitting their in-house techs (who can examine the car) are baffled and turning to an internet forum for help based on a dashboard photo, LOL

For example, the obvious answer would be, "well, are the seats buckled?" I know you said "they actually aren't", but are you basing that on "nobody's ever used them" or have you physically checked?

My Civic HB came to me with all three of the back seat belt indicators lit up green like that when I first started the engine. And that's because it evidently shipped from the factory with the back seats buckled, like it was part of a QA test at some point and why unbuckle them when done? Move on to the next test or the next car!

I actually thought green meant "functional" and didn't think twice about it until the first time I had passengers get back there for a ride on Day #3, who immediately said, "Hey, I thought we were the first passengers... These seats are already buckled!" And when they unbuckled them the indicators went red, and then after they got out with the seats unbuckled (and nobody back there) they were just gray.

And the old IT answer of "turn it off and then back on again" may apply, if you have checked and they are 100% not buckled... Start the engine, buckle them, then unbuckle them and re-buckle them a few times, does that clear the indicator? If it does and everything works as expected going forward, just forget it ever happened (until it happens again) because now the problem's not reproducible. LOL
I just started working at this dealership as a lube tech so yea I don't know everything yet about how to diag cars and yes the techs that work here don't know anything about these newer cars because they "just came out" and "don't know everything unless it's happened before or shows up as a bulletin". So I used my resources and tried looking on their service bulletin to see if they're lying and found nothing on this issue yet and yes I made sure they weren't buckled and yes I tried buckling and unbuckling them and yes I tried turning it off and on again multiple times and tested the left rear and both front seats and they work like they are supposed to which is why I'm on here asking people who may have run into this problem and fixed it.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT in PWP
203 Posts
Wow, OK. That is weird. And only two of the three back seat buckles are llike this? The one behind the driver's seat works as expected (gray if unbuckled, green if buckled, red if unbuckled and a passenger's weight is detected)?

I mean it's either a hardware fault (sensor is permanently tripped) or a software one (some kind of system reset would clear it); just not sure how to do a "system reset" on something like this. Yeah that's something your dealer techs ought to know or have some way to look up that a regular owner's manual would not contain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, OK. That is weird. And only two of the three back seat buckles are llike this? The one behind the driver's seat works as expected (gray if unbuckled, green if buckled, red if unbuckled and a passenger's weight is detected)?

I mean it's either a hardware fault (sensor is permanently tripped) or a software one (some kind of system reset would clear it); just not sure how to do a "system reset" on something like this. Yeah that's something your dealer techs ought to know or have some way to look up that a regular owner's manual would not contain.
That's what I'm thinking too so I'll ask one of the main techs to see if one of their software tools can reset it or if it's a part that they can order and fix it that way so thank you for your input and help with this situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts