11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had problems on and off with my 10th gen where for a few weeks or months at a time, when I'd receive a text, I'd get the pop up on the screen and have the car read the text for me and then for weeks or months, it'd just stop working. Always figured it was an update issue on the phone rather than the car.

So for with my 11th gen, I've not been able to get the pop message on my screen at all. Pairing is not a problem and I can make and receive phone calls no problem. If I'm connected to Bluetooth audio, I'll get the audible notification if I receive a text but no pop up/option to read the text.

I've paired and unpaired a few times to see if that would fix the issue. Using Android 11.

Anyone else have this issue and/or know of a fix?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Welcome to the forum @geologyking

Have you tried changing the bluetooth settings on your phone? There might be a setting to allow notifications to show. By default it might not, sort of like how it doesn't on your phones lock screen, at least not full text messages.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I had problems on and off with my 10th gen where for a few weeks or months at a time, when I'd receive a text, I'd get the pop up on the screen and have the car read the text for me and then for weeks or months, it'd just stop working. Always figured it was an update issue on the phone rather than the car.

So for with my 11th gen, I've not been able to get the pop message on my screen at all. Pairing is not a problem and I can make and receive phone calls no problem. If I'm connected to Bluetooth audio, I'll get the audible notification if I receive a text but no pop up/option to read the text.

I've paired and unpaired a few times to see if that would fix the issue. Using Android 11.

Anyone else have this issue and/or know of a fix?
Welcome @geologyking! Make sure you have notifications turned on so they pop up on the infotainment screen. What kind of phone do you have?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum @geologyking

Have you tried changing the bluetooth settings on your phone? There might be a setting to allow notifications to show. By default it might not, sort of like how it doesn't on your phones lock screen, at least not full text messages.
I have. Not sure if Android 11 is the issue or the handshake between the phone and the car.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
199 Posts
I've also had this feature be touch and go with my 10th gen civics. When using apple carplay I will get the pop up notifications for certain texts (usually when they come from other apple users), but most android (and some apple) texts never pop up on the screen unless I actually go to the messages app on the screen. It seems to be hit and miss at best. I've tried multiple combos of settings and allowances with really no noticeable improvement in the regularity of the text notifications.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spent some more time today looking into this and went over the owner's manual again and there is no reference to text messages at all in the HFL section in the manual for the 2022s. Double checked my old 2018 manual, and texting is there. Also checked the most recent Accord manual and texting is also there under HFL.

Maybe this isn't a feature for the 11th gen Civics. Why else not add it to the owner's manual?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Spent some more time today looking into this and went over the owner's manual again and there is no reference to text messages at all in the HFL section in the manual for the 2022s. Double checked my old 2018 manual, and texting is there. Also checked the most recent Accord manual and texting is also there under HFL.

Maybe this isn't a feature for the 11th gen Civics. Why else not add it to the owner's manual?
I realize this is a 6 month old post but I was searching around for my deal and brought it up.

It appears the 7" info screen isn't text compatible via BT (it obviously is via CP or AA). Phone calls only.

That's kind of lame but not a deal breaker.

My issue is that when BT is on, any texts to my phone result in the phone muting the alert. In other words, I can't hear any alert of an incoming text message on either phone or car.

I've played with every setting I can think of on phone and car and can't get notifications to alert on the phone unless BT is off.

Any one solve this?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have never received any text notifications on my Si head unit, thanks for bringing this up so I can explore it further. I just assumed the Honda system doesn't accommodate texts. It is a bit of a distraction either way so it isn't a bit deal for me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah I don't mind the lack of texts to the head, I would like my phone to still alert when I get one though.

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I realize this is a 6 month old post but I was searching around for my deal and brought it up.

It appears the 7" info screen isn't text compatible via BT (it obviously is via CP or AA). Phone calls only.

That's kind of lame but not a deal breaker.

My issue is that when BT is on, any texts to my phone result in the phone muting the alert. In other words, I can't hear any alert of an incoming text message on either phone or car.

I've played with every setting I can think of on phone and car and can't get notifications to alert on the phone unless BT is off.

Any one solve this?
Yeah I don't mind the lack of texts to the head, I would like my phone to still alert when I get one though.
As an update, I figured out my part of the issue: phone muted when receiving incoming texts / no audible notification.

I had enabled Do Not Disturb one touch setting on the phone which apparently automatically silences it when the phone detects that it's in a car in motion. Lame feature. I deactivated it.

I didn't think this was the issue because the text alerts still worked in my truck, but that was because the truck head unit displayed them and made it's own alert.

(EDIT, no, never mind... it's still doing it if the phone is on BT)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have yet to receive a single text alert in my Si but I got them all the time in my other cars, has anyone figured out if the 9 inch head unit is text compatible - via bluetooth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but has anyone figured this out? I'm new to all this tech in the car as my previous car was a 2005 Accord. I have the 9" head unit and android auto connects wirelessly just fine. I haven't seen a single text alert/message unless I go into android auto and stay there. This isn't the most convenient as I don't want to just camp on the android auto screen. I don't know if I'm just using it wrong and it would seem silly to not have that function.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but has anyone figured this out? I'm new to all this tech in the car as my previous car was a 2005 Accord. I have the 9" head unit and android auto connects wirelessly just fine. I haven't seen a single text alert/message unless I go into android auto and stay there. This isn't the most convenient as I don't want to just camp on the android auto screen. I don't know if I'm just using it wrong and it would seem silly to not have that function.
I cannot get texts unless I'm on Android Auto; and there's nothing I was able to find online or in the manual, either. It certainly seems that texting is not an option via BT; certainly not on the 7" but probably on the 9" as well... this despite a few people saying they can text over BT. I suspect they are on AA and just aren't recognizing the specifics of the question.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I cannot get texts unless I'm on Android Auto; and there's nothing I was able to find online or in the manual, either. It certainly seems that texting is not an option via BT; certainly not on the 7" but probably on the 9" as well... this despite a few people saying they can text over BT. I suspect they are on AA and just aren't recognizing the specifics of the question.
Thanks for the info! I was going nuts through the settings to see if I missed something. Well that's interesting, my friends car from a few years ago without Android Auto has the native function to read and reply and even responds to text with an auto reply that he's driving. I would think they would have such features as standard now. Good to know but a bit disappointing. I wonder why they didn't build that into the unit.

·
Registered
292 Posts
definetly
Thanks for the info! I was going nuts through the settings to see if I missed something. Well that's interesting, my friends car from a few years ago without Android Auto has the native function to read and reply and even responds to text with an auto reply that he's driving. I would think they would have such features as standard now. Good to know but a bit disappointing. I wonder why they didn't build that into the unit.
Yeah my older cars had it. I assume it's because they are pushing everything to AA or CarPlay now. BT on this car sucks, too, phone conversations are trying. It's very rudimentary for sure

1 - 20 of 24 Posts