11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a design flaw.

I had the 10th gen, paint quality wasn't good either, but this chipping never happened & early

The new wipers are more complicated & way heavier, watch out when you put them up, especially if you turn off or turn on the engine, they will move a lot more than the old one.

Had 1 small rock paint chip in the bumper too, but this one is annoying since you see it all the time.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport 2.0L
16 Posts
This is exactly the same bare spot I had on the driver side of my hood, it must have been from the wiper. The touch up paint covered this well enough, but it's disheartening seeing all these paint chips in recent posts.

·
Super Moderator
142 Posts
View attachment 3190 This might be a design flaw.

I had the 10th gen, paint quality wasn't good either, but this chipping never happened & early

The new wipers are more complicated & way heavier, watch out when you put them up, especially if you turn off or turn on the engine, they will move a lot more than the old one.

Had 1 small rock paint chip in the bumper too, but this one is annoying since you see it all the time.
Did this happen under normal operation?

Or were you doing something with them and turned the car on?

If they are hitting the hood under normal operation I would be taking it back to the dealer. Wipers should never hit anything but the windshield.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I’ve seen a couple people mention it already.

I went ahead and looked in the manual on how to set the wipers to maintenance mode. I believe it’s page 615. It’s the function you use when changing the wiper blades.

Basically says to put the car in ACC On. Then turn to off. Within 10 seconds of turning off pull the mist lever and hold for more than 2 seconds.

Both wiper arms should raise to a higher resting position. Then you can wash your car, clean windows, etc…

Then when you’re done. Just put power mode to On. Pull on mist lever once. The wiper arms should return to their normal position.

Gotta remember to do this next time I wash my car. The Civic’s paint doesn’t seem very forgiving.

·
Registered
34 Posts

If they are hitting the hood under normal operation I would be taking it back to the dealer. Wipers should never hit anything but the windshield.
My thoughts exactly. How did this happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't know, I have a very early gen10, meaning it's been around for a while, and I have no damage of that sort. Also, on gen11 you are not supposed to just pull the wiper arms up when they are in their resting state.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know, I have a very early gen10, meaning it's been around for a while, and I have no damage of that sort. Also, on gen11 you are not supposed to just pull the wiper arms up when they are in their resting state.
When the engine turns on or off, they move a lot. Also the wipers are heavier fall easier

just cleaning my windshield while pumping gas like i did with all my other cars. wipers up on maintenance position, everything was fine.

Done pumping & turned on the AC on for the burning people inside it as was 100°, wipers move by itself & fell, soft paint chipped off like nothing

Why are they touching the hood anyways, none of my other cars do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Was cleaning the windshield at the gas station, car was off.. wipers on maintenance position.

turned on the AC for the people inside, the wipers went to resting mode & fell, chipped off paint.

They move every time the engine changes state, but issue is that they shouldn't come in contact with the hood, like other cars

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just noticed the problem on my Civic, which I've only had for 11 days. No idea how it happened. We did have some rain recently, but I haven't washed the windshield at the gas station or used the wipers otherwise. I'm not impressed! I'll have to take it to my Dealer on my days off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Touring (Rallye Red)
76 Posts
I have no paint chips on my hood near the wipers and I have used them when it rains as you you see in the pictures. I don't see how this can happen by looking at how the windshield wipers are positioned.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Okay, I understand what @Balista is referring to when he says the windshield wipers are in "maintenance mode". The wipers do make contact with the hood when in "maintenance mode" and need to be re-positioned in a way where the wipers are all the way up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't think the chipped paint from the hood is Honda's fault but rather owner maintenance error or misuse of vehicle function. The paint on the 2022 Honda Civics are great. It's just that @Balista accidentally engaged the "Start Button" Ignition causing the wipers to hit the hood paint. As the title of this thread states, "Watch out for the wipers", yes. But it's not the paint quality that is the problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't think the chipped paint from the hood is Honda's fault but rather owner maintenance error or misuse of vehicle function. The paint on the 2022 Honda Civics are great. It's just that @Balista accidentally engaged the "Start Button" Ignition causing the wipers to hit the hood paint. As the title of this thread states, "Watch out for the wipers", yes. But it's not the paint quality that is the problem.

View attachment 3361
I respectfully disagree. If you look at my post, I haven't touched the wipers / wiper arms on my 11 day old Civic yet. I did turn the wipers on when we had a day of light rain, but they haven't been used or touched, besides that and I've got a paint chip on the driver's side edge of the hood, near the wiper. There's something else not quite right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The scratch could have happened at the dealership. When I bought my car, they washed it before I took possession of it. All it takes is for one person, unfamiliar with the design, pulling up the wiper arm to clean the window. Scratching the hood inadvertently.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Okay, I understand what @Balista is referring to when he says the windshield wipers are in "maintenance mode". The wipers do make contact with the hood when in "maintenance mode" and need to be re-positioned in a way where the wipers are all the way up.

View attachment 3359

View attachment 3360
Look at the owners manual for the proper maintenance mode procedure. The wipers will be at a 90° vertical position when done properly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The scratch could have happened at the dealership. When I bought my car, they washed it before I took possession of it. All it takes is for one person, unfamiliar with the design, pulling up the wiper arm to clean the window. Scratching the hood inadvertently.
This is an interesting thought--I wonder if the PDI folks at dealers are aware of the proper procedure to raise the wipers?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The paint on the 2022 Honda Civics are great.
In this video, a person shows it is thinner still than on the previous gen (at least Type R): Paint chipping problems on 11th Gen Civics?

I feel like the paint on Civics really hasn't been great in a while. The wiper design on 11th gen does not seem that great either, if it is so easy for them to damage the car. I know you are right in a sense that the manual tells you how to do it properly (if I understand correctly the maintenance mode needs to be activated first), but I feel its an unnecessarily complicated design. I would not think about reading the car manual for these 'traps' if all I want to do is just wash a car...

·
Registered
76 Posts
@CivicGuy73 Well, I've used the windshield wipers and haven't gotten any paint chip on my hood.

@Le Tour Yes, I have posted the page in the users manual below.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In this video, a person shows it is thinner still than on the previous gen (at least Type R): Paint chipping problems on 11th Gen Civics?

I feel like the paint on Civics really hasn't been great in a while. The wiper design on 11th gen does not seem that great either, if it is so easy for them to damage the car. I know you are right in a sense that the manual tells you how to do it properly (if I understand correctly the maintenance mode needs to be activated first), but I feel its an unnecessarily complicated design. I would not think about reading the car manual for these 'traps' if all I want to do is just wash a car...
His meter can’t accurately read paint thickness over an aluminum base.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That would be interesting Honda damages their own cars, because of their own not very well thought out design.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts