11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After owning the new Civic (Sport trim) for a month and making frequent use of its amazing Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), I noticed during an afternoon drive this weekend that the car was suddenly and frequently departing its lane on the highway with LKAS turned on. After experiencing the issue for the first time, I decided to keep on driving with LKAS for another 30 minutes to confirm that the problem wasn't being caused by odd pavement, faded lane markings, or unusual lighting conditions. During this test, LKAS continued to constantly 'hug' the right edge of the lane, often resulting in a lane departure followed by 'wheel shake' and a 'Lane Departure' alert on the dash.

Since the behavior was new and the performance of LKAS had been significantly better in all my previous drives, I decided to stop at a rest area to inspect the LKAS camera installed on the windshield. I didn't find anything visibly wrong, and the windshield looked perfectly clean. However, prior to this drive, I had just mounted an E-Z Pass toll transponder to the windshield (inside, obviously), just behind and to the right of the rearview mirror. As a test, I decided to relocate the E-Z Pass transponder to the upper right corner of the windshield, to see if the LKAS problem could have been caused by a potential interference from the transponder (either visual clutter or EMI).

After leaving the rest area with the E-Z Pass transponder relocated on the windshield, to my surprise, LKAS began to behave as expected again. The car now stayed firmly at the center of its lane and no longer departed the lane. After getting home, I decided to test some more and installed a dashcam (a Garmin Mini 2) on the windshield, at the same place where the E-Z Pass transponder had previously been. I then went out for a drive, and -- lo and behold -- the problem returned. The car was back to hugging the right edge of the lane at all times while LKAS was on, and departed the lane whenever a left turn was needed. I then relocated the dashcam to the upper right corner of the windshield, right next to the E-Z Pass transponder. Just like before, this solved the problem and LKAS went back to performing normally (no lane departures).

This behavior was surprising to me. I still can't tell if the problem is caused by visual interference or EMI. The former seemed unlikely since I didn't think the LKAS camera would be able to see the windshield, but EMI also seems unlikely in my opinion. The fact that placing two different items (toll transponder and dashcam) on the same spot of the windshield both caused the car to stick to the right edge of the lane makes me think that, somehow, the LKAS camera is picking up parts of the windshield in its field of view. If this is the case, then the objects would likely be interfering with how LKAS interprets the visual scene by adding visual clutter to it. This is currently only a hypothesis, as I don't know how or if it would be possible to view the LKAS camera feed to confirm this. If anyone has any insights or is able to do any independent testing, I'd be interested in your comments.

Tl;dr: avoid mounting items to your windshield close to the rearview mirror/LKAS camera. It may cause the performance of the Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) to degrade significantly.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Interesting. On gen10 I have transponder on my windshield in a spot where I can't see it and I did not notice any issues. I have not yet installed a transponder I have for gen 11.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks @PaperPlane36, that is really helpful

Never apply a film or attach any objects to the windshield, the hood, or the front grille that could.... Do not place objects on the top of the instrument panel. It may reflect...
So does that pretty much rule out any dash cam if I want the LKAS to work properly? I'm still waiting to get a 2022 hatchback and a dashcam is one of few upgrades I was planning. I'm guessing LKAS systems on other cars probably have similar warnings, so this probably won't dissuade me from getting a civic, but maybe dissuade me from getting a dashcam and I'm a little disappointed by that since LKAS is an important feature to me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So does that pretty much rule out any dash cam if I want the LKAS to work properly? I'm still waiting to get a 2022 hatchback and a dashcam is one of few upgrades I was planning. I'm guessing LKAS systems on other cars probably have similar warnings, so this probably won't dissuade me from getting a civic, but maybe dissuade me from getting a dashcam and I'm a little disappointed by that since LKAS is an important feature to me.
Nah, we'll just have to figure out which areas of the windshield are a no go. In this regard it would have been really helpful if the OP posted the photo of the original problematic placement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks @PaperPlane36, that is really helpful

I was successful in installing a dashcam (Garmin Mini 2) in the upper right corner of the windshield with no loss of LKAS performance. You should definitely keep the dashcam above the LKAS camera's line of sight, and preferably as far to the right/left as possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nah, we'll just have to figure out which areas of the windshield are a no go. In this regard it would have been really helpful if the OP posted the photo of the original problematic placement.
Here's where I had my dashcam while I was having LKAS issues. Later moved the dashcam to the upper right corner of the windshield and that solved all LKAS issues.

Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Automotive design Personal luxury car Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Vehicle

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts