11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, thank you the add! Just picked up my 11th gen Sport yesterday in Platinum White Pearl. So far love the car but cant get over the fishbowl look with no tint. I plan on tinting it right away (this week, will post pics when completed) I decided to go with Xpel XR Plus Ceramic tint, 20% on the sides and rear window and 55% on the windshield. Living in Florida, window tint is a must and especially a high end heat rejecting tint. I decided to do the windshield as well due to it being a huge piece of glass and thats where 70% of the heat comes from. Not only does tint reduce heat and add privacy but it also protects the interior against harmful uv rays that over time, deteriorates the plastics and fabrics on the interior. Additional to tint i will be doing a high impact area paint protection film to protect against rock chips, bugs and any other foreign objects that may damage the paint. This will keep the car looking like new until its time to part ways. To finish off the look, im having the roof wrapped black to tie it in with the already black mirrors and trim. I look forward to sharing the finished product with you guys! Thanks again!

·
Registered
950 Posts
First of all, thank you the add! Just picked up my 11th gen Sport yesterday in Platinum White Pearl. So far love the car but cant get over the fishbowl look with no tint. I plan on tinting it right away (this week, will post pics when completed) I decided to go with Xpel XR Plus Ceramic tint, 20% on the sides and rear window and 55% on the windshield. Living in Florida, window tint is a must and especially a high end heat rejecting tint. I decided to do the windshield as well due to it being a huge piece of glass and thats where 70% of the heat comes from. Not only does tint reduce heat and add privacy but it also protects the interior against harmful uv rays that over time, deteriorates the plastics and fabrics on the interior. Additional to tint i will be doing a high impact area paint protection film to protect against rock chips, bugs and any other foreign objects that may damage the paint. This will keep the car looking like new until its time to part ways. To finish off the look, im having the roof wrapped black to tie it in with the already black mirrors and trim. I look forward to sharing the finished product with you guys! Thanks again!
Congratulations on picking up your new Civic @Alfred! Welcome to the forum! Good choice on getting your windows tinted. What kind of PPF are you going to use?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations on picking up your new Civic @Alfred! Welcome to the forum! Good choice on getting your windows tinted. What kind of PPF are you going to use?
@Palmer8 Thank you! Im going with xpel ultimate plus for the high impact area PPF and STEK Dyno Black for the roof as an alternative to vinyl. STEK Dyno Black is 8 mils thick vs 3-4 mils with black vinyl so it would protect the roof while changing the roof color to black.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Let me know how the window tint works out with that Florida heat 🔥 I dont get my car until July but I will be doing 35% Xpel Ceramic XR Plus on the sides and rear window. They quoted me $550, hope its really going to cut down the harmful rays and heat. Looking into PPF too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me know how the window tint works out with that Florida heat 🔥 I dont get my car until July but I will be doing 35% Xpel Ceramic XR Plus on the sides and rear window. They quoted me $550, hope its really going to cut down the harmful rays and heat. Looking into PPF too.
If youre going for heat rejection, i highly recommend getting the windshield done as well, the majority of heat comes from the windshield. You don’t necessarily have to go dark, i have 55%XR plus on my windshield and 20% XR plus on the sides and rear. As far as ppf goes, before you schedule you car with anyone, go into their shop and look at their work in person, dont cheap out and throw your money away on a crappy install. Im an xpel installer myself so if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
97 Posts
If youre going for heat rejection, i highly recommend getting the windshield done as well, the majority of heat comes from the windshield. You don’t necessarily have to go dark, i have 55%XR plus on my windshield and 20% XR plus on the sides and rear. As far as ppf goes, before you schedule you car with anyone, go into their shop and look at their work in person, dont cheap out and throw your money away on a crappy install. Im an xpel installer myself so if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask
View attachment 8404

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I thought the first thing Id do is tint for about $500, although the money may be better spent on PPF. A partial front and fenders with mirrors seems to go for not much more at $750. Still expensive stuff, Id rather have the entire fenders and hood done as well, which takes me up to around. $1000 or more. Most importantly I want a flawless install, so I will really do my homework. What are the best areas to cover with PPF on a car to avoid paint chip damage? Also what is the best type of film. I want it so clear you can tell its there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If rock chips are your main concern, I would do the ppf first before tint. It may suck driving around in a fishbowl with no tint for a bit but at least your paint is protected. On my car i did what most installers call a “drivers package” or “high impact area” coverage. That includes Full hood, Full fenders, bumper, rockers panels, a strip on the lower doors that goes up to the bodyline, and a strip behind the rear wheels. I went a little crazy and did a piece on the a pillar up to the roof, and obviously my full roof is protected with a black Paint protection film too (not vinyl). Keep in mind if you do a partial on the hood, down the road when you to replace the hood, there will be a hard line where the film ends, mostly due to uv eating away at the unprotected paint. As far as quality of film goes, i would stick with xpel, Stek ppf is the flattest in terms of texture/ orange peel, but with the Florida sun beating on the film, we’ve seen it yellow within 6 months. Every film is going to yellow at some point, its a consumable product thats meant to last 4-7 years on a daily driver. It also comes down to how well you maintain the vehicle and how its stored, if it’s stored outside you can expect to see the film last less. I attached a video so you can somewhat visualize what im talking about.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If rock chips are your main concern, I would do the ppf first before tint. It may suck driving around in a fishbowl with no tint for a bit but at least your paint is protected. On my car i did what most installers call a “drivers package” or “high impact area” coverage. That includes Full hood, Full fenders, bumper, rockers panels, a strip on the lower doors that goes up to the bodyline, and a strip behind the rear wheels. I went a little crazy and did a piece on the a pillar up to the roof, and obviously my full roof is protected with a black Paint protection film too (not vinyl). Keep in mind if you do a partial on the hood, down the road when you to replace the hood, there will be a hard line where the film ends, mostly due to uv eating away at the unprotected paint. As far as quality of film goes, i would stick with xpel, Stek ppf is the flattest in terms of texture/ orange peel, but with the Florida sun beating on the film, we’ve seen it yellow within 6 months. Every film is going to yellow at some point, its a consumable product thats meant to last 4-7 years on a daily driver. It also comes down to how well you maintain the vehicle and how its stored, if it’s stored outside you can expect to see the film last less. I attached a video so you can somewhat visualize what im talking about.
Great information. Especially on the PPF packages available. I had no idea it wasnt good for the life of the car, and that it has a shelf life. My car stays garaged, so maybe I could get longer than 4 years out of it….being out of direct sunlight or extreme cold 75% of the time? As for tint, good info on heat coming in the front windshield. i was planning on leaving the front clear and I still will likely have to, as my state’s laws prohibit front window tint beyond the top 6 inches. i will be going with the top xpel ceramic grade for the sides and rear. Really see no point in tinting the roof as the interior visor will be shut most of the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Xpel does make a 70% tint thats virtually no different than the factory tint that is on the windshield but you get the heat rejecting properties. I know cops cant just pull you over for tint in most states, it’d have to be an added charge to another infraction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts