11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought civic sport 3 weeks ago and it’s a great car but this dashboard(infotainment screen) creak and rattle is driving me crazy. I don’t know if i am too sensitive and this is something to be expected in a honda. Also, when i was cleaning my car today on a sunny day, i’ve noticed that there was some touch up paint on passenger side door that i haven’t noticed when i took the delivery. I know i should’ve taken more close attention but it was a cloudy day when i took delivery and i couldn’t notice it. I’m not sure if i should take it to a dealer and ask them to fix the dashboard rattle and touchup paint or i’m just over reacting.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood Automotive design
Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire

·
Registered
86 Posts
That touch up paint is absolute horrid, almost looks like it came out of the Tesla factory. It is probably too late now for the dealership to do anything, but it would be worth a try and have them look at it. Though they're probably going to say you did it. I would start looking for a detail shop, to see if maybe they can even paint correct that. Dashboard rattle is there and you're not over reacting, but I took care of that myself by sticking two pieces of foam on each side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That touch up paint is absolute horrid, almost looks like it came out of the Tesla factory. It is probably too late now for the dealership to do anything, but it would be worth a try and have them look at it. Though they're probably going to say you did it. I would start looking for a detail shop, to see if maybe they can even paint correct that. Dashboard rattle is there and you're not over reacting, but I took care of that myself by sticking two pieces of foam on each side.
Where did you put the foam? Can you take a picture for me?

·
Registered
86 Posts
So, I stuck the 3mm or 1/8 foam between the rwd/fwd and return/menu buttons. I stuck a wedge in there and then pushed it in with another wedge. It put enough tension on the plastic to keep it from vibrating on any type of roads. Of course the proper way to do it is to follow the touring tsb and remove the front grill, but I couldn’t get mine off and didn’t feel like breaking anything that day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I stuck the 3mm or 1/8 foam between the rwd/fwd and return/menu buttons. I stuck a wedge in there and then pushed it in with another wedge. It put enough tension on the plastic to keep it from vibrating on any type of roads. Of course the proper way to do it is to follow the touring tsb and remove the front grill, but I couldn’t get mine off and didn’t feel like breaking anything that day.
Hi there.
I got the civic touring and there's a minor rattle near the infotainment. You mentioned there's a tsb? Where can I find that? Can I take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey bro,

It was less before but after taking it to honda idk how they checked it, now it's more louder and on every bump.
Idiots said let the car break in. Come back after 1500km .. smh
Sounds about right. Those bums do not want to spend time on it as it doesn’t pay them much. Next time you go they’ll pull the, can not replicate bullshit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I tried your method and I ended up just wedging a lot of foam under the display and it didn't really fix the problem. Maybe because the foam I used was soft, I wasn't able to push it in properly without it being deformed. Since the TSB is for touring model only and mine is sport model I intend to do it myself. Do I have to remove the front grill? According to diagram of the tsb it seems like I would be able to unscrew the bolts only after taking off the plastic cover behind the screen. I don't know if I should take it to dealer since tsb isn't for sport model.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So I tried your method and I ended up just wedging a lot of foam under the display and it didn't really fix the problem. Maybe because the foam I used was soft, I wasn't able to push it in properly without it being deformed. Since the TSB is for touring model only and mine is sport model I intend to do it myself. Do I have to remove the front grill? According to diagram of the tsb it seems like I would be able to unscrew the bolts only after taking off the plastic cover behind the screen. I don't know if I should take it to dealer since tsb isn't for sport model.

Hmm, that sucks too hear. Unfortunately yea, you have to remove the entire front hvac grill. It was really tough for me to even pry it out last time. I'll have time to try again this week and let you know if I break anything trying to do it the proper way. I'll be sure to try and make a little guide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm, that sucks too hear. Unfortunately yea, you have to remove the entire front hvac grill. It was really tough for me to even pry it out last time. I'll have time to try again this week and let you know if I break anything trying to do it the proper way. I'll be sure to try and make a little guide.
Thank you! It’s so annoying to have that buzzing noise. In the meantime i should order some felt tape. Is 1mm thickness good enough you think?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank you! It’s so annoying to have that buzzing noise. In the meantime i should order some felt tape. Is 1mm thickness good enough you think?
I’ve been using these to tackle all the interior rattles, but as always ymmv

Tatuo Double Sided Foam Mounting Tape Foam Adhesive Tape Foam Seal Tape, 1/8 Inch Thick Foam Seal Strip, 3 Rolls (1/4 Inch Wide by 32.8 Feet Long Each Roll) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMC5R5...abc_R15JCA3EQWWNMGEMG1RC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

JVCC FELT-06 Polyester Felt Tape: 1 in. x 15 ft. (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZBH3QI...abc_5A1DSP0V6TNQ2NQJ1WAJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ve been using these to tackle all the interior rattles, but as always ymmv

Tatuo Double Sided Foam Mounting Tape Foam Adhesive Tape Foam Seal Tape, 1/8 Inch Thick Foam Seal Strip, 3 Rolls (1/4 Inch Wide by 32.8 Feet Long Each Roll) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMC5R5...abc_R15JCA3EQWWNMGEMG1RC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

JVCC FELT-06 Polyester Felt Tape: 1 in. x 15 ft. (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZBH3QI...abc_5A1DSP0V6TNQ2NQJ1WAJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I think i’m also gonna order some interior trim remover tools. Let me know how it goes! I cant try this weekend but i’ll try soon because the rattle is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here is an unofficial center hvac grill removal

This time I started on the passenger side. You can see where that blue clip is on the upper right hand side and it's a perfect place to start prying.
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Just start to pull on once you can get a good handle, but make sure you support top and bottom. Don't want to crack any of the fragile plastic.
Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

Once you start to make your way to the center, you'll encounter your first clip for the hazard lights. Disconnect this guy.
Material property Peripheral Office equipment Engineering Machine

Once the hazard clip is out of the continue making your way to the push start button. Here are two more connections that need to be disconnected. Also, my car is confirmed a CTR and not an EX.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Here is the entire grill removed and now we make our way to the back of the headunit.
Wheel Bicycle Tire Automotive design Output device

·
Registered
86 Posts
Now on the back of the headunit start to pry where a center speaker would be; sucks that we can't add one, anyway pull this housing off.

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Grille Motor vehicle

Have one sensor on this housing, so go ahead and disconnect this clip.
White Light Automotive lighting Camera lens Gadget

Now go back to the center hvac area and remove the lower two bolts. They are 8mm socket or phillips, whichever one you want to use.
Bumper Automotive exterior Trigger Air gun Auto part

Now go back up on top, behind the headunit, and you will find two silver 8mm socket bolts to remove on each side. This one just shows the right side.
Font Gadget Electronic device Rectangle Fashion accessory

To remove the headunit just pull up, but if you find it a bit tough, it has these 3 blue clips on the bottom. Just squeeze them to help aid the removal.
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper Gas

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here are all of your connections on the back. They're all different, so you can't fuck this up when you put it back together. I would start with release the wire loom clip first and then the rest of the cable, but honestly does not matter.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Reflex camera

Here is w/ the wire loom off and you can get a better angle at removing the clips.
Computer cooling Electronic instrument Automotive exterior Gadget Computer hardware

Surprisingly, my car already had felt on it from factory, but it was doing absolutely shit. I don't think the TSB is going to fix this mess of rattles. Anyway, you can see the felt I stuck in there on the edges. I ended up removing all the felt and reapplying my own, which is a bit thicker than the factory stuff.
Hood Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Here is just a picture w/ all the stuff removed from the center. I also added my own felt to the grill, as it had the same shitty factory one, before I slapped it back on.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are all of your connections on the back. They're all different, so you can't fuck this up when you put it back together. I would start with release the wire loom clip first and then the rest of the cable, but honestly does not matter.
View attachment 4646

Here is w/ the wire loom off and you can get a better angle at removing the clips.
View attachment 4647

Surprisingly, my car already had felt on it from factory, but it was doing absolutely shit. I don't think the TSB is going to fix this mess of rattles. Anyway, you can see the felt I stuck in there on the edges. I ended up removing all the felt and reapplying my own, which is a bit thicker than the factory stuff.
View attachment 4648

Here is just a picture w/ all the stuff removed from the center. I also added my own felt to the grill, as it had the same shitty factory one, before I slapped it back on.
View attachment 4649
Hey man i really appreciate it. Was the rattle fixed after this? Your the best!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts