11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there.

I've been lurking these boards since the night the prototype was unveiled in November and now I've decided to jump on.

I'm typing this from Kingston, Jamaica. We don't get the four trims most of you do, here. We only get the VTI and VTI-s, but I'm still pretty stoked about the new gen. Can't wait til it becomes available here so I can get my hands on one.

See you around the boards!

·
Administrator
74 Posts
Welcome @dihcar86 ! What's the car scene like in Jamaica?

Do you get lots of European cars there as well? I was in Barbados last year and surprised at all the cars there that aren't in the US.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hello there.

I've been lurking these boards since the night the prototype was unveiled in November and now I've decided to jump on.

I'm typing this from Kingston, Jamaica. We don't get the four trims most of you do, here. We only get the VTI and VTI-s, but I'm still pretty stoked about the new gen. Can't wait til it becomes available here so I can get my hands on one.

See you around the boards!
Welcome @dihcar86! Are you a current or former Civic owner?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome @dihcar86 ! What's the car scene like in Jamaica?

Do you get lots of European cars there as well? I was in Barbados last year and surprised at all the cars there that aren't in the US.
Sorry for taking so long to reply to this.

We drive on the other side of the road so we mostly drive Japanese imports. They're largely pre-owned imports from Japan, but what it means is we have a very vibrant JDM scene here. Jamaicans definitely love their Hondas. The most common cars on the roads here are the Civics, Accords, and CRVs. Toyotas and Nissans are common here too but not stuff you'd find in America. Things like the Toyota Probox (an ugly small wagon mainly used as taxis), the Toyota Axio (smaller Corolla variant), and the Nissan Tiida (Versa).

Lately there have been lots of American imports on the roads though, especially Civics and Accords. These are usually significantly cheaper than their Japanese counterparts when bought through car lots rather than dealerships.

Hope I answered all your questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum @dihcar86 :)

When is the new Civic expected to arrive at Honda dealers near you?
What are you driving at the moment?
At the moment I drive a 2011 Mitsubishi Galant Fortis. It's the Japanese version of the Lancer EX. I love it but I've had it four years and it's time for a change.

The night in November Honda unveiled the 11th gen protoype for the Civic, I fell in love and I've been obsessed ever since. I told myself "that's my next car."

I'm waiting for our Honda Dealership ATL (Appliance Traders Limited) to announce when we're getting it. They haven't said anything yet as they will only sell the VTI and VTI-S (international version) since we drive on the other side of the road. I called them.and they said realistically maybe sometime later in the year. I'm just hoping we don't only get sedans though.

For previous Civics, we only got two VTI trims. The VTI, which is basically the Civic LX but with a 1.6 litre engine, and the VTI-s, which is basically an Ex with the steering on the other side.

Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sorry for taking so long to reply to this.

We drive on the other side of the road so we mostly drive Japanese imports. They're largely pre-owned imports from Japan, but what it means is we have a very vibrant JDM scene here. Jamaicans definitely love their Hondas. The most common cars on the roads here are the Civics, Accords, and CRVs. Toyotas and Nissans are common here too but not stuff you'd find in America. Things like the Toyota Probox (an ugly small wagon mainly used as taxis), the Toyota Axio (smaller Corolla variant), and the Nissan Tiida (Versa).

Lately there have been lots of American imports on the roads though, especially Civics and Accords. These are usually significantly cheaper than their Japanese counterparts when bought through car lots rather than dealerships.

Hope I answered all your questions.
At the moment I drive a 2011 Mitsubishi Galant Fortis. It's the Japanese version of the Lancer EX. I love it but I've had it four years and it's time for a change.

The night in November Honda unveiled the 11th gen protoype for the Civic, I fell in love and I've been obsessed ever since. I told myself "that's my next car."

I'm waiting for our Honda Dealership ATL (Appliance Traders Limited) to announce when we're getting it. They haven't said anything yet as they will only sell the VTI and VTI-S (international version) since we drive on the other side of the road. I called them.and they said realistically maybe sometime later in the year. I'm just hoping we don't only get sedans though.

For previous Civics, we only got two VTI trims. The VTI, which is basically the Civic LX but with a 1.6 litre engine, and the VTI-s, which is basically an Ex with the steering on the other side.

Thanks for the welcome!
Hey @dihcar86! Welcome to the forum. Since you're saying Jamaica is getting the International Civic models, if you wanted to get an American spec Civic would there be a way for you to do that? Or are you stuck with the VTI and VTI-S?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey @dihcar86! Welcome to the forum. Since you're saying Jamaica is getting the International Civic models, if you wanted to get an American spec Civic would there be a way for you to do that? Or are you stuck with the VTI and VTI-S?
Yeah we could get the American model through "grey market" car marts. Not dealerships but used car lots. They usually import two year old cars with a bit of miles on them. They're much cheaper but my issue is having the steering wheel on the left when we drive on the left side of the road. I'll always be driving in a blind spot.

You see a ton of these types of Accords and Civics about the streets but they create problems for other drivers. They turn while their view is obstructed and also tend to drift to the center of the road so they can see.

·
Registered
788 Posts
@dihcar86 those Galant's are great cars but rarely seen where I live.

What is it like getting parts for these new cars in Jamaica? Did you ever run into any delays in the past with newish or uncommon cars, or heard of them happening to anyone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@dihcar86 those Galant's are great cars but rarely seen where I live.

What is it like getting parts for these new cars in Jamaica? Did you ever run into any delays in the past with newish or uncommon cars, or heard of them happening to anyone?
My Mitsubishi is my first ever car but it's no problem getting parts for it or any other Japanese cars. Mitsubishi, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and Nissan are the easiest to replace parts for because there are many stores dedicated to them. It's pricier going through dealerships. It's even worse if you have a German car like a BMW. Those parts require a special order and typically cost upwards of $500 to import. It's even worse if you have an uncommon car like a Chevy or Peugeot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts