11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I stumbled across this video on YouTube yesterday. This is the first video I've seen from this guy, but he seems like a true fan of Honda vehicles. Has anyone heard of this problem or experienced it?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Have had my sonic grey sport for 16 days now, noticed this little peel above my passenger side headlight about a week ago. Waiting on dealership to get back to me because it should be covered under warranty I’d imagine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It will be. I worked service for Nissan and paint is covered typically under a 12 month/12k miles exterior corrosion warranty or sometimes under the standard 36k/36 month warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Literally just found the same issue today on my blue civic 11th gen, do not even understand how I got it based on the positioning. If what he is saying is true in that video and it is thinner than it should be, that puts a bad taste in my mouth. Saw some people mention warranty, is this covered?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was the one who mentioned the chip on the hood from the wiper arm in the comments section of the video. I winded up ordering some touch up paint from Honda and fixing it in my driveway. Haven't seen any other chips get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This looks concerning. Is this a known problem with other recent Honda vehicles? I’ve read that Mazda uses thin paint prone to easy chips. Is Honda doing the same?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This looks concerning. Is this a known problem with other recent Honda vehicles? I’ve read that Mazda uses thin paint prone to easy chips. Is Honda doing the same?
I’ve been looking around and a simple google search tells me that there have apparently been reported issues with the paint on the 2018 accords and some have even filed with the NHTSA to see if an official recall can be put into effect. There has even been some news coverage for the accords. Wish I knew this before buying my 22 civic.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport 2.0L
16 Posts
I've had an almost identical experience with my Aegean Blue paint as @bxh12 - this picture is like looking in a mirror. There was a chip on the edge of the hood facing the driver seat, and one on the lower quarter of the rear passenger door.

The touch up paint kit did a fine enough job to cover the blemishes, but its not perfect. Certainly irritating on a brand new vehicle. I thought it may have been hit by some a rock without me noticing it, but now I'm not so sure with the feedback I'm seeing on this thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The guy in that video posted a followup today. Not impressed with Honda after seeing the results. Can skip to about 5 minutes in to see him doing the actual testing. Really surprising to see not only the 10th gen civics had double the thickness but a Chevy Impala seems to have 9 times the thickness of the 11th gen civics.

·
Registered
52 Posts
His video now makes so much sense. I have pearl white paint (which I paid EXTRA for!) and already have 4 chips on the hood, but no where else. Had to buy that touch up paint from Honda after 2 months of owning, not very happy to say the least.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One thing to note, I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) your standard paint gauge meter has trouble accurately reading paint thickness on aluminum panels. Here's the one the gentleman in the video is using:

Which says it's for use on magnetic materials. So if the 22 Civic hood is aluminum, the meter may not be showing the true thickness.

Again, I'm far far far from an expert on these things so if somebody knows better, please let us know!

Edit: It looks like indeed the 2022 hood is aluminum based on this link (scroll about 1/3 of the way down, just below the photo of the wheel options):

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
183 Posts
One thing to note, I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) your standard paint gauge meter has trouble accurately reading paint thickness on aluminum panels. Here's the one the gentleman in the video is using:

Which says it's for use on magnetic materials. So if the 22 Civic hood is aluminum, the meter may not be showing the true thickness.

Again, I'm far far far from an expert on these things so if somebody knows better, please let us know!
I would say that is a legitimate point. Honda has had paint issues since the 8th gens (I think is when they switched to water based paints for eco friendly reasons). Since then it's been pretty consistent that people complained about the thin/weak paint on the civics and other hondas... it would shock me if they made the paint even thinner for this generation (half as thick as last gen!? according to that video). But I doubt the paint quality got actually worse... it'd be interesting to see the test again on a different panel, and not the aluminum hood.

It's worth noting in some of the instances stated above where the chipping seems to be near body seams and panel gaps, this was an issue on a couple previous generations. The body panels and fitment of certain areas around lights was so tight, that regular flex in the car caused the paint to chip and rub prematurely. I think there were even TSB notices over this issue at one point on the 8th gen near the rear lights.

As for the chips not near panel gaps, it only takes one stray rock on the freeway to chip this paint. I'm not at all saying that's good, or fair... for the price of these cars the paint and clear coat should be able to stand up to some abuse for at least a few years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would say that is a legitimate point. Honda has had paint issues since the 8th gens (I think is when they switched to water based paints for eco friendly reasons). Since then it's been pretty consistent that people complained about the thin/weak paint on the civics and other hondas... it would shock me if they made the paint even thinner for this generation (half as thick as last gen!? according to that video). But I doubt the paint quality got actually worse... it'd be interesting to see the test again on a different panel, and not the aluminum hood.

It's worth noting in some of the instances stated above where the chipping seems to be near body seams and panel gaps, this was an issue on a couple previous generations. The body panels and fitment of certain areas around lights was so tight, that regular flex in the car caused the paint to chip and rub prematurely. I think there were even TSB notices over this issue at one point on the 8th gen near the rear lights.

As for the chips not near panel gaps, it only takes one stray rock on the freeway to chip this paint. I'm not at all saying that's good, or fair... for the price of these cars the paint and clear coat should be able to stand up to some abuse for at least a few years.
I'll always bet on mother nature's devices over anything a car manufacturer produces :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
183 Posts
I'll always bet on mother nature's devices over anything a car manufacturer produces :ROFLMAO:
I had a tiny pebble shatter one of my foglight lenses on my 10th gen coupe... if it can do that, paint doesn't stand a chance! :p

·
Registered
7 Posts

I hear what you’re saying and it is a fair point about the aluminum possibly affecting the reading, however in the video the guy did do tests on other parts of the car and got similar results that the paint is in fact thinner. Crazy thing to me is how I had this new car for 6 days before I discovered my chip and I had a 2016 civic for 3 years without a single noticeable chip.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hear what you’re saying and it is a fair point about the aluminum possibly affecting the reading, however in the video the guy did do tests on other parts of the car and got similar results that the paint is in fact thinner. Crazy thing to me is how I had this new car for 6 days before I discovered my chip and I had a 2016 civic for 3 years without a single noticeable chip.
True, and it'd be great if we could have a materials scientist or someone with better insight into the manufacturing process weigh in. But in my experience, just about any encounter with a rock typically doesn't end in good news so I'd be hesitant to call it a "problem" per se.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts