11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who pays a penny over invoice is nuts. Don’t let these dealers rip you off. By paying over invoice you allow these dealers to continue to mark up. If you don’t buy then they will be stuck with the car and will be able to get the car for MSRP or lower.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well the dealers will sell every car they can get right now, at least for the next 4 months IMO or until supply starts to keep pace with demand.

You have BMW dealers buying back brand new cars from customers taking delivery at a significant profit (25k) to what the customer paid, and then the dealer is reselling them to other customers at up to $100,000 over MSRP. You have a lot of people out there willing to pay more just to get what they want. It's just a crazy time right now. Dealers need to sell cars to stay afloat and they don't have a lot of stock that they can sell, so they need to make more money on each sale, can't say I blame them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anyone who pays a penny over invoice is nuts. Don’t let these dealers rip you off. By paying over invoice you allow these dealers to continue to mark up. If you don’t buy then they will be stuck with the car and will be able to get the car for MSRP or lower.
Invoice is what the dealer pays. How can you expect dealers to make no money? It’s always the goal to get as close as possible to the invoice price.

But that was when the dealers had ample cars and needed space on the lot. Right now they can’t even get cars on the lot in the first place.

Paying msrp in this market is reasonable. Even a 1-2k markup is reasonable to me if the trade in is also worth a marked up amount.

I got my car with a 1k markup over msrp, but I got 5k markup on my trade in vehicle over normal value.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm going to guess that it's been difficult for you to find a dealer selling at MSRP. I think any adult with either enough cash or credit to purchase a vehicle is within their right to pay whatever they are willing to pay. The mark ups are old news. This isn't the first time in history that our economy/supply chain/etc has had disruptions. And the previous comment makes an important point. During normal market conditions, we would be getting 20% to 30% less for our trade-ins. My wife had $4,000+ in equity after trade just a few months ago to put toward a 22 sport. Pre-pandemic, she would have been negative. Not to mention, interest rates are at an all time low. And not for long. Maybe in 9 to 12 months you'll be able to buy at MSRP or lower. But, you'll see interest rates start rising and it'll all be a wash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone has their right to get ripped off if they are willing to. It’s all a scam and most people will not pay over invoice. Don’t let these dealers rip you off. Be smart.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Interest rates are going to sky rocket in this year , gas prices are going to near $10 dollars a gallon , our great government at work . Don’t you just love them . NOT :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Let me preface what I'm about to say. The last 5 new cars I've bought were all 13-16% under MSRP which is invoice or little less. My most recent purchases was 6 months ago and I got 15% and 11% under MSRP for an 2 Acuras. This was unheard of at that time as people were paying MSRP or even over already. I did my research and had dealers competing and got lucky with cars I wanted that was already inbound to the same dealer. Bought it off the truck basically.

In this market I'd pay MSRP or $1k over, but personally that would be my limit. $1k over MSRP would be fair due to the shortage and allows dealers to make additional money.

Went to a dealer who had a Si on the ground yesterday and they wanted $8k over sticker. Someone may buy on it tomorrow or 6 months from now. They may or may not get $8k over sticker, but the ball is in their court. Went to another dealer who had one incoming. Selling at MSRP, but had to buy some Pro[fit] Package for $5k which would of cost $1k during regular times. Basically a 500% markup. Their defense was at least they're giving you something for it.

When this is all over the people who paid $8k(28%) over sticker will be so upside down because no dealer is gonna going give them a 28% bump on their trade. I'm not gonna be that person.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me preface what I'm about to say. The last 5 new cars I've bought were all 13-16% MSRP which is invoice or little less. My most recent purchases was 6 months ago and I got 15% and 11% under sticker for an 2 Acuras. This was unheard or at that time as people were paying MSRP or even over already. I did my research and had dealers competing and go lucky with cars I wanted that was already inbound to the same dealer. Bought it off the truck basically.

In this market I'd pay MSRP or $1k over, but personally that would be my limit. $1k over MSRP would be fair due to the shortage. Went to a dealer who had a Si on the ground yesterday and they wanted $8k over sticker. Someone may buy on it tomorrow or 6 months from now. They may or may not get $8k over sticker, but the ball is in their court.

When this is all over the people who paid $8k(28%) over sticker will be upside down because no dealers are gonna going give them a 28% bump on their trade. I'm not gonna be that person.
I agree. Those people who paid over way over MSRP will never get their money back. They will lose their shirt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree...Sad part is there are many taking delivery at the dealer asking price with 3k to 6 k AMV (Adjusted Market Value)
If you do your homework you will find that dealer that is willing to sell you a car at MSRP but not lower than that at the current time.
If you do find one please share so other can place an order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts