11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to preface this by saying that I have been driving stick for 36+ years, countless Hondas, some dedicated track cars. etc.

I know of the rev hang complaint and it never really bothered me. I am just coming out of the break-in period so I am taking the engine up into the higher revs now this week mostly. What I am finding is that the revs keep climbing after I disengage the clutch between shifts at upper end of the rpm band. If I shift at 6k rpms the tach can hit the rev limit well after I have taken it out of gear, so the revs keep climbing with my foot off the throttle. I understand rev hanging, but rev climbing with no throttle feels odd. It is like the throttle plate does not close when you lift throttle and clutch is disengaged. This is weird. I need to experiment and play a bit more with this to see how often it happens. Has anyone else experienced this ?

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sport
85 Posts
I'd like to preface this by saying that I have been driving stick for 36+ years, countless Hondas, some dedicated track cars. etc.

I know of the rev hang complaint and it never really bothered me. I am just coming out of the break-in period so I am taking the engine up into the higher revs now this week mostly. What I am finding is that the revs keep climbing after I disengage the clutch between shifts at upper end of the rpm band. If I shift at 6k rpms the tach can hit the rev limit well after I have taken it out of gear, so the revs keep climbing with my foot off the throttle. I understand rev hanging, but rev climbing with no throttle feels odd. It is like the throttle plate does not close when you lift throttle and clutch is disengaged. This is weird. I need to experiment and play a bit more with this to see how often it happens. Has anyone else experienced this ?
I would have the Honda dealer check it out. Could be a faulty fuel injector, plugs, air control valves, sensors or coils, a fuel pump issues to name a few. Could be nothing as well but it should not jump like that. I am sure you've known this but sounds like something not running right.
EDIT: Do all gears do this? Does the clutch feel like any slippage is happening?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have the Honda dealer check it out. Could be a faulty fuel injector, plugs, air control valves, sensors or coils, a fuel pump issues to name a few. Could be nothing as well but it should not jump like that. I am sure you've known this but sounds like something not running right.
EDIT: Do all gears do this? Does the clutch feel like any slippage is happening?
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. There is no slippage at all, and when it happens I am in neutral as the clutch is disengaged (pedal down). It mainly feels like the engine is still getting throttle but my foot is off the pedal, so the throttle plate is not closing quickly and still accelerating between shifts. So I lift throttle and push in the clutch at 6000 rpms and instead of dropping the rpms keep climbing and hit the rev limiter

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sport
85 Posts
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. There is no slippage at all, and when it happens I am in neutral as the clutch is disengaged (pedal down). It mainly feels like the engine is still getting throttle but my foot is off the pedal, so the throttle plate is not closing quickly and still accelerating between shifts. So I lift throttle and push in the clutch at 6000 rpms and instead of dropping the rpms keep climbing and hit the rev limiter
It sounds like a sensor or something within the fuel system IMO. I am no mechanic but it sounds like something is lagging/not sensing right for sure. I know its cold AF in Canada but try it again when its warmer out when you can if you do not go check it out before then and see if it acts the same? I have the Sport and notice difference engine feeling when its colder vs warmer too.. Oddly... Never noticed it like that in another vehicle.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah that is not right.

Reactions: Zeroptzero

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Si does this also. Typically when it’s cold out(which seems like every day now in Buffalo).

I would say mine is not as extreme though. If I disengage the clutch under let’s say 40% throttle (while simultaneously letting off the throttle) at 3800 rpm it will definitely climb over 4000. To me it has seemed like a tuning issue, potentially when operating in closed loop.

Which should tell me the car is not yet warmed up enough. Unfortunately without oil and coolant temp gauges I have know way of knowing. 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Si does this also. Typically when it’s cold out(which seems like every day now in Buffalo).

I would say mine is not as extreme though. If I disengage the clutch under let’s say 40% throttle (while simultaneously letting off the throttle) at 3800 rpm it will definitely climb over 4000. To me it has seemed like a tuning issue, potentially when operating in closed loop.

Which should tell me the car is not yet warmed up enough. Unfortunately without oil and coolant temp gauges I have know way of knowing. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Thanks for the reply, yes that is exactly what mine does, I'd say it climbs about 400 rpms from the time I shift. I was testing it out more yesterday to get a feel for it, and I can control it by shifting differently.

Mine is happening when the engine and oil is fully warm, since I am testing it near redline I make sure the car is fully warmed up and I've been driving for a good bit of time. My best guess is that the throttle plate closes slower than I would expect once you lift throttle, possibly for emissions reasons ? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yes that is exactly what mine does, I'd say it climbs about 400 rpms from the time I shift. I was testing it out more yesterday to get a feel for it, and I can control it by shifting differently.

Mine is happening when the engine and oil is fully warm, since I am testing it near redline I make sure the car is fully warmed up and I've been driving for a good bit of time. My best guess is that the throttle plate closes slower than I would expect once you lift throttle, possibly for emissions reasons ? Thanks for the reply.
This seems to be most likely rather than closed loop, given that yours does it while fully warmed up. Whatever the reasons it seems in the software to me.

I had been contemplating getting the hondata tune for it. If I do I can report back any effect it might have.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This seems to be most likely rather than closed loop, given that yours does it while fully warmed up. Whatever the reasons it seems in the software to me.

I had been contemplating getting the hondata tune for it. If I do I can report back any effect it might have.
Your theory could still be right, it seems to happen worse when I am WOT , high rpms, in sport mode. If I remember correctly the car is in closed loop at WOT ? But it is happening fully warmed as I won't rev it up unless it is fully warmed up. My old S2000 used to cut rpms at 6000 if it was not fully warmed, so it taught me well, lol.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sport
85 Posts
Your theory could still be right, it seems to happen worse when I am WOT , high rpms, in sport mode. If I remember correctly the car is in closed loop at WOT ? But it is happening fully warmed as I won't rev it up unless it is fully warmed up. My old S2000 used to cut rpms at 6000 if it was not fully warmed, so it taught me well, lol.
it could be due to the dual mass fly wheel? if they are still using those in the SI, it was in the 10th gen a bit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts