11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Norcal, heard from local dealerships that the cars are at the port and should be hitting dealerships soon. I was told they don't know pricing yet, but that they will have a 12k mark up right off the bat. (Same dealership told me 10k markup last Thursday.) I think it's bs putting a markup value on a car you don't even have the MSRP cost to begin with.

·
Registered
2018 Volkswagen GTI S, 6MT
74 Posts
There won't be nearly enough of these to meet demand for a while, which means the market price will be significantly higher than MSRP. Without dealer markups, it would just be an easy 10-12k for whichever flippers got their names on the list first. I'm fine with dealers taking that instead and selling these directly to the people who actually want them for that higher price, cutting out the flipper middlemen as much as possible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There won't be nearly enough of these to meet demand for a while, which means the market price will be significantly higher than MSRP. Without dealer markups, it would just be an easy 10-12k for whichever flippers got their names on the list first. I'm fine with dealers taking that instead and selling these directly to the people who actually want them for that higher price, cutting out the flipper middlemen as much as possible.
The dealers are just middlemen flippers themselves. :unsure:

·
Registered
0 Posts
With these kind of markups, it becomes feasible and smart to look further afield.

Although obviously not for Type Rs, I know a couple of Northern Calif folks who ordered from Las Vegas dealers. The price was so much less that it paid for the flights to Vegas, a mini-vacation on the Strip, gas/food for the drive back and they still saved beaucoup bucks. Yes, they paid their local county sales tax when they bought. Yes, the cars met Calif. emissions standards (always have the emissions label under the hood checked before finalizing the deal and make it a condtion of sale. Not a big problem).

If enough people figure this out, maybe local dealers won't be so greedy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts