11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2016 Civic EX-T has a 1.5T engine, and one of the selectable displays on the instrument panel is the "Turbo Meter" where you can see the boost pressure from the turbo (which is kind of fun when you're driving "sporty-like").

I don't have an 11th gen CIVIC yet (having one "on order"), but downloaded the user manual for it ahead of time to familiarize myself with the settings and new instrument panel displays that it will have.

I can't find this "Turbo Meter" anywhere, even though the same 1.5T engine is available (and will be in the one that I get). Did Honda remove it? Or is it an configurable indicator on the digital dash or something, under a new name?

Text searching for "turbo" the PDF version of the manual in Adobe Reader only gets six hits for the section describing what the turbocharger is (that it's cooled by the same oil as lubricates the engine) and an extra-stern reminder to change the engine oil/filter properly.

Kind of odd that they'd remove something from the instrument cluster. Did they add something in its place and the memory was limited?

Maybe the compass - I don't remember that being in the 10th gen? And apparently, turn by turn directions even over CarPlay or Android Auto will appear on the dashboard? I guess that would be more useful than a turbo boost meter...

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
188 Posts
They removed the boost meter. It was always slightly pointless (though I enjoy having it on my 19' EX coupe) and it sucks they took it away. The Si and CTR models may get it back.

I think a lot of the decisions and little feature differences between the 10th and 11th can be summed up in how the designers positioned the car. Honda America designed and wanted the 10th gen civic to be a sporty performance oriented car, hence the slightly overdone styling and things like a turbo gauge. Honda Japan obviously didn't see the equity in the civic being positioned as an outright sporty model, and rather saw it as a premium compact... hence the more mature styling, less outright sporty appointments, etc.

Some of that decision to move the civic into the more mature look and feel could be due to the future Integra meant to fill the sport compact space as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They removed the boost meter. It was always slightly pointless (though I enjoy having it on my 19' EX coupe) and it sucks they took it away. The Si and CTR models may get it back.

I think a lot of the decisions and little feature differences between the 10th and 11th can be summed up in how the designers positioned the car. Honda America designed and wanted the 10th gen civic to be a sporty performance oriented car, hence the slightly overdone styling and things like a turbo gauge. Honda Japan obviously didn't see the equity in the civic being positioned as an outright sporty model, and rather saw it as a premium compact... hence the more mature styling, less outright sporty appointments, etc.

Some of that decision to move the civic into the more mature look and feel could be due to the future Integra meant to fill the sport compact space as well.
That's a really great insight, I bet you're 100% on the money

I just took my wife's 2016 EX-T Coupe for a spin and it really is fun to drive, the suspension and steering is tight and balanced

It'd be a little too bad if my 2021 "Sport Touring" felt LESS sporty, LOL (?)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts